Kokos Goldfish Forum

After running hot (very salty) water through their tank multiple times and rinsing their media in it, and after having slammed that tank with countless medications and whatnot, I figured and hoped it would be free of anything yucky. 

I also decided not to get a goldfish. I went to Walmart looking for something different, and lo and behold... They had Blood Parrots! They NEVER have these and I've really wanted one. They remind me of Ryukins with their little humps and friendly behavior. 

This one here was aggressive, chasing and nipping the others and so it was the cutest... So I got it. I couldn't decide on which I wanted for its name so I named it Mary Merune (maroon). It was already quite aggressive so it will be the only fish in the tank. 

I need to add some hiding spots for it. It's summer and the tank is always at 80° so I don't need a heater now but I have one for winter if he doesn't die on me. I love this little thing already and I hope I can keep it for a while and raise it. It's very tiny. I will get a weight and photo of it later today. 

Edited by mjfromga

Hi Myra. He's cute!!!! I don't know what size tank you have him but they get really big. They also LOVE to redecorate the tank. They like gravel, rock's & driftwood.  80 degrees is good. What food do you have? Good luck with him.

Aw so cute! Good luck with him

I did do some research Dawn. I read that they don't usually get really big. They are in the Cichlid family but they aren't huge like Oscars. He is by himself in a 55 gallon tank. It SHOULD be big enough for him.

I read that these fish are very frowned upon in the Cichlid world because they're highly genetically modified and they're fragile sorta like fancy goldfish. I guess that's why I like them. 

I have Azoo tropical pellets for him and I also have some Meat Pie and bloodworms. He is too teensy to eat the krill pellets yet. I need a pot for him to hide in and probably some more rocks for the bottom. Again he is too teensy to move anything around so we shall see. 

I'm not going to put any wood into my tank. It messes with my pH which is dangerous as it's already hard to keep stable. 

20 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I did do some research Dawn. I read that they don't usually get really big. They are in the Cichlid family but they aren't huge like Oscars. He is by himself in a 55 gallon tank. It SHOULD be big enough for him.

I read that these fish are very frowned upon in the Cichlid world because they're highly genetically modified and they're fragile sorta like fancy goldfish. I guess that's why I like them. 

I have Azoo tropical pellets for him and I also have some Meat Pie and bloodworms. He is too teensy to eat the krill pellets yet. I need a pot for him to hide in and probably some more rocks for the bottom. Again he is too teensy to move anything around so we shall see. 

I'm not going to put any wood into my tank. It messes with my pH which is dangerous as it's already hard to keep stable. 

Hi Myra. Mary will be happy in a 55. They are neat Ciclids. You will enjoy having her. I just recently got some Premium Cichlid Flake food from Kens and I have extra if your interested in it. He has GREAT food!!!

Edited by DawnMichele

Hi Myra. Are you interested in the food for Mary???

Thanks a ton Dawn. She will love the variety. She's still tiny. 

Hi Myra!!! IM going to ship your package tomorrow. I will send you the tracking #. Let me know when you get it.

Yes ma'am. Will do. Thanks again. 

8 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

Yes ma'am. Will do. Thanks again. 

Your very welcome!!!!