Arctic Mama

Dayton Koi and Goldfish Show

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So.... Gary invited me to a local show and auction.

I came home with five new fish from various breeders and a whooole lot of pictures (and now I’m broke). 

Whoops? :I-Thank-You:

412B456A-A836-4C0D-9AD6-29AFAB2C7403.jpeg

Closeups and more pictures of the goldfish being judged coming later today.  These were just sale, I didn’t really see a need to do the auction and didn’t have a ton of time.  But they’re BEAUTIFUL!  They’re going to join the two remaining fish I have from MJ after the great goldfish poisoning of 2018. 

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

And here are the newbies, somewhat grumpy in quarantine ;)

Sakura: one huge ranchu (5inch body length) that is apparently just under a year old745CE8D6-3E56-4C88-A511-AEDCFF92C536.jpeg 

Dina: a little pinky telescope with one button eye and one metallic, just over two months old and a 1.5 inch body length

C40DDBA5-C79A-41C7-808B-2855E500CC19.jpeg

Two still unnamed calico orandas, each about four(!!!) months old and 2.5-3 inch body length

B651EA41-E733-46D5-8E03-E091CBC038A5.jpeg

2A3D9E22-1CBC-4B99-8E6F-45C141208223.jpeg

Still unnamed orange and white oranda with 2 inch body length:

8BA3AE63-2E06-4E11-A502-FB0DCC078C20.jpeg

Excuse the horrible photography!  Quarantine is tiny but it’s filtered and getting twice daily water changes, and I’m going to be testing a new quarantine medication on them called Minn Finn that should theoretically mean a shorter wait period for putting them in the tank, as it is safe but nukes everything.  I could actually just treat the whole main tank and skip a QT but I’m not brave enough.  These guys were domestically bred from imported stock except the little telescope, which is from Gary Hater.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 1

6A0A379D-FF89-488A-9011-A9AAE3D8DDD6.jpeg5EA445E7-AFE4-4312-B49F-C13E9F8E4294.jpeg755E41FC-21ED-47D5-95B3-663195362755.jpeg677ACD5B-019F-4A13-94AF-431190AAA40B.jpeg9188502E-D061-4038-877D-F23660214E73.jpegE772300E-9D8D-4961-8376-16C032ED811A.jpeg4704387F-4B38-4B76-892E-966C2531FBFD.jpeg89C0C670-71E9-49DA-87A6-4AF5BCB19512.jpeg3F866B2A-EF7C-4BBA-863E-11B0B50CEF8B.jpegD89187C1-FBC8-4E54-8E70-E8C4EBBC018E.jpeg65B75D83-FB12-4B4A-BE3F-EB9E1F1D34A9.jpeg2746954E-92B9-4950-8EB1-D6321AF5F551.jpeg855D5F5F-B1C1-44CF-8CB0-2FEE61F0413F.jpeg75104845-29BF-4967-86DF-CD2DA7D04C0F.jpeg7D0E31E7-E231-4395-A9FD-654C5A0C8912.jpeg98CC9023-170F-4297-A4CD-8ABBCDB2EBE0.jpegThese are some of the entries into the show, and some will be auctioned tomorrow morning.  Then the big blue tub was one of the sale tubs :)

F8C1F62E-BD9D-41DB-9C7C-37673018E830.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Video from QT, as you can see my still photos don’t do the gorgeousness justice!

And one more:

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your new Goldfish!!!! They are GORGEOUS!!!! 

• Like 1

Thanks Dawn!  I’ve been missing a busier tank so it was nice to get new stock.  And Dandy Oranda level quality was a plus :whistle

I’m excited about the new treatment as well.  It would be really spiffy to shorten my quarantine period and find something that could nuke those pesky, non-specific persistent issues some fish (including the two I already had) seem to suffer from.  The treatment when it isn’t bacterial and nothing is working, you know?

Posted (edited)

The two you have before these are still the two left that I sent? I can't tell you what's wrong with those fish. I've been looking and looking and nothing really matches and no antiparisitic or antibacterial medication did the sick ones I had any good. 

Even Shembje and Tangelo my two survivors still seem bothered by something. Absolutely nothing has seemed to help. They eat and whatnot but they still seem sorta just off and I can't see anything on the scope and I can't pinpoint anything. I believe it is permanent gill damage for one. They sustained permanant fin damage from when their fins rotted to the base. 

I really can't help but wonder WHAT I brought into my pond and WHERE it came from. I was fine until the new import fish. I never skip or shorten QT either. And I heard of others with fish from that source with big issues, too. I can't fault them because I am not sure, but I won't ever buy from them again. They didn't respond when I questioned them either. 

I've got to say, at this point, I don't advise mixing any fish with those two you've got. I love those boys but by all means PUT THEM DOWN before you mix the new fish with them please... Because if the new fish catch whatever they have, it very well might take them all down. It killed all my stock so quickly it wasn't even funny. I would HATE for you to have a repeat because of those boys. It isn't worth it. 

Within DAYS my fish went from totally healthy looking to slime and blood covered, fins rotted to the base, gasping and dying atrocities. You remember Robin. I don't want to see that happen to another fish. He suffered so badly. Nothing I did could save him or them. I am not even sure how the two I have left survived. I saw Costia at the last moment but there's NO WAY that's all there was but I couldn't ever see anything else. 

Edited by mjfromga
  • Thanks 1

That’s why I’m interested to test out this treatment, actually.  Word is that it nukes everything and isn’t carcinogenic to the fish, so sayeth the Koi people.  It’s a pricy treatment - about $70 - but I was going to treat the main tank and qt separately and see how it goes.  I’d say the last month your two have been fine, scales regrow after the initial flashing and such, but I do worry something still lurks. However they have been symptom free except for the occasional bottom sitting, which seems more boredom than anything.

I’d worry more, but these fish are imports too, except for the little pink.  Both families bred them from Thai imports, these are only second generation from some of the biggest fish farms in Thailand, where a fair bit of viral stuff lurks.  They seem extremely healthy br who knows what they may have living in their systems. So while I wouldn’t usually prophylactically treat, I think it’s necessary to try it on BOTH tanks before introducing them to one another.  But I don’t think I need to go the euthanization route just yet.  If I don’t think your guys have responded satisfactorily to the Minn Finn I might, but I’d really hate to lose them.  I’ve even kicked around running them in a separate 40 gallon breeder, which I might still do.  

The other reason the nuking of both tanks and really trying to clean up the fish appeals to me is because I’ve been seriously considering some ECR stock down the road and I know Cynthia’s are clean and in impeccable health, so I wouldn’t want to expose THEM ago some subclinical pathogen in however many months I obtain some.  If I can keep all these guys stable and healthy and see no sign of whatever weirdness popped up before, I’ll add some of her stock in 2019.  But it needs time.  

I’m 99% sure your little dudes are clean at this point, I’ve done a fair bit of treatment on them AND run that tank empty, with anti parasite/bacteriocidal treatments.  But I’m going to do it again with this bigger gun to be sure. Because we don’t want heartbreak, I agree! But I don’t think they’re contaminated for life, either.  I’m not seeing evidence of that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Aaaand a story for the value of quarantine!

I picked this argulus foleaceus (carp louse) off my big ranchu today, and I thought I saw it on the orange and white oranda yesterday but wasn’t sure it wasn’t just a spot of color.  Fish lice aren’t particularly uncommon, and I just manually picked them off.  But you don’t want an infestation in your main tank!  Much easier to treat in QT.

759DEE51-9E4F-4F20-86CC-4E219AC8541D.jpeg

EDITED TO ADD:  These did seem to be irritated by the paraguard, but they didn’t detach, and salt did nothing.  The next step if you have a heavier infestation is dimilin, which I’m doing  just in case there are some deeper in the gills I didn’t find.  That has to be done over several weeks, because fish lice have a LONG life cycle.

Edited by Arctic Mama

That looked like it was so much fun. I miss going to goldfish shows :)

I love your new Ranchu, Ill take him :teehee

I agree about QT no matter whom you get the fish from. 

Posted (edited)

Another louse crawled out of the ranchu’s gill after I paraguarded them, so I’m going to do a more targeted treatment.

6A847092-C32E-45F3-BEE5-D8CAEAFDEBBE.jpeg

It’s amazing how well those suckers latch on, scraping it off with my finger took work and Sakura is big enough to put up quite a fight :teehee

Edited by Arctic Mama

Your new fish are so beautiful! The first Calico Oranda reminds me of my old Luka :heart 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Your new fish are so beautiful! The first Calico Oranda reminds me of my old Luka :heart 

I know you miss Luka, he was gorgeous so I take this as high praise.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Dude another one :yikes 

Kill those lice kill them all :) 

Yucky. I've never run into those horrid things before. I was getting ready to say... That fish is not Sakura... But her NAME is Sakura

1 hour ago, mjfromga said:

Yucky. I've never run into those horrid things before. I was getting ready to say... That fish is not Sakura... But her NAME is Sakura

Yup, named her Sakura :)

Oh, I’ve used MinnFinn with success. I don’t know if I’d shorten the quarantine period, but it certainly has increased my confidence with new fish I’ve received from sources that are questionable.  I had a batch of wakin a while back with aeromonas type ulcers and they healed so quick, better than a tricide neo dip.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2018 at 7:38 AM, mjfromga said:

I had a fish that had those once, they are just so gross to see and tough :o