Sign in to follow this  
ABB63

New Fluval 406

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I’m really excited to get my new Fluval 406 canister filter today. I have an 8” shabunkin and an 8” common in a 40B. I’m going from 2 Aqueon HOB’s to the canister. I am looking to go to a bigger tank down the road so I bought the 406 for more flow than I currently need. I’d like Advise on two things.

1 I know I can reduce the flow rate on the canister but I don’t how the fish will handle the flow in the tank. Im not sure if they like current or not. I often find them hanging out under the current HOB filters that have home made baffles made from plastic bottles with holes in them. 

2 how long should I run the current HOBs until the right bacteria gets set up in the canaster? One of the HOBs has well established ceramic media in it. The other has sea shells which I have had to use to keep the PH at the right level.  Should I transfer both media’s to the canister?

i don’t want to mess up my tank by not starting this the right way so I’d appreciate any advise.  I uploaded a photo of my kids. 

Ann

F8EF1070-5B0E-4C7A-8B4B-1001E9AA479D.jpeg

Edited by ABB63
Typo
  • Like 1

Big fish like those can handle water flow easily.  

Move your cycled ceramic medium to the canister, and add new ceramic medium since you have the space in the canister.  Also add some of  the old mechanical medium along with new to the canister.

Run the "better" of your HOBs with the shells and some old mechanical medium.  Run this along with the canister for at least a month.  

This great advice. Thank you. When you say old “mechanical medium”do you mean the filter inserts that slide into the Aqueon? I have a 55 and a 75. The 55 is slowing down and the motor attachment is being held on by a couple of strings because the plastic attachments broke off. It’s a major pain to clean. That one is going away once I hook up the 406. The 75 is in good shape. So I’ll run that for a month. 

Posted (edited)

Yes, take the media you have in the aqueons and just plop it into the canister baskets of the fluval, along with any new media.  Run like normal.  

I keep extra sponge filters in my canister to, and just pulled one out today for my quarantine tank so I can have instant cycle.  When I’m done with QT I can boil it and pop it back in the canister to be recolonized, with no pathogenic risk to my existing tank.  There is no need to run a sponge or HOB when a canister is going because you can use the media from those other filters *inside* the canister to good effect :)

You can always keep the 75 on hand, empty, waiting for circulation and aeration use in a hospital tank.  But you don’t need to keep that running alongside the canister.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I cut the gunked up material off both of the cartridges that were in the Aqueon 55. It is now sitting on top of the charcoal in the top basket. The ceramic that I had in the old filter is in with the new ceramics so that should work. I have the 75 still running with the shells in it. I’m really nervous about removing the 75. I think I’ll leave it for a while just to make myself feel comfortable that things transition smoothly. The fluval has been running for about an hour now. The fish don’t know what’s going on with the change of flow. I’ll test the water in the morning to see how things are going. So happy to finally get a canister. It looks so much nicer with just the two hoses coming over the back of the tank. 

• Like 1

Update: 2 weeks running my new Fluval 406 along with my pre-existing HOB 75 on my 40 gal breeder.

I do a water change every week so I just did my second water change since the new filter. I decided to clean the canister to see what it looked like. The big sponges had a lot of food in them so I am glad I took the canister apart. I originally had the intake too close to the bottom of the tank tank and it kept sucking up pellets before the fish ate them. I am sure that is what that is from. The new ceramics have started to establish so that is going well. The water quality has been excellent and is testing perfect.  No hint of any cycle.  I’ll leave the HOB 75 another week or two just to reassure myself the canister is completely established (overkill but it makes me feel better). Then it’s HOB free.  I’ll keep the filter with my backup 20 gallon tank for when I do a complete tank cleaning. 

Thank you all so much for your advice on helping me transition. I really love my kids so I want them to have the best living environment and I like that this is easier to handle cleaning. 

I'd keep the HOB in the tank for at least a month total.

Thanks Sharon. I am definitely taking your advice. The shells are still in the HOB  and I’ll let it run another couple of weeks. I really appreciate your advice. Also, they seem to be handling the strong flow too. 

—————

Update: 2 weeks running my new Fluval 406 along with my pre-existing HOB 75 on my 40 gal breeder.

I do a water change every week so I just did my second water change since the new filter. I decided to clean the canister to see what it looked like. The big sponges had a lot of food in them so I am glad I took the canister apart. I originally had the intake too close to the bottom of the tank tank and it kept sucking up pellets before the fish ate them. I am sure that is what that is from. The new ceramics have started to establish so that is going well. The water quality has been excellent and is testing perfect.  No hint of any cycle.  I’ll leave the HOB 75 another week or two just to reassure myself the canister is completely established (overkill but it makes me feel better). Then it’s HOB free.  I’ll keep the filter with my backup 20 gallon tank for when I do a complete tank cleaning. 

Thank you all so much for your advice on helping me transition. I really love my kids so I want them to have the best living environment and I like that this is easier to handle cleaning. 

8 hours ago, ABB63 said:

Thanks Sharon. I am definitely taking your advice. The shells are still in the HOB  and I’ll let it run another couple of weeks. I really appreciate your advice. Also, they seem to be handling the strong flow too. 

—————

Sounds great!! Glad you’re enjoying your canister filter