• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Less than 7.4
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops
      • * Water temperature? 72
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon quarantine just setup
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Off brand HOB rated for 15 gallons
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Just got the fish on Sunday but did 50% Yesterday.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 smallish oranda
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day, Omega one sinking pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? This is a new fish
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fluid filled bubbles under both eyes. They are lighter colored than her wen.
  •  * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I just picked her up a few days ago and put her in quarantine. The fluid rings have gotten worse since I got her. I'm not sure if this is popeye or something else? She behaves normally and eats well. She doesn't seem bloated/pineconed.

IMG-0996.JPG

IMG-0997.JPG

Can she be returned to where you purchased her from?  Starting out with sick stock makes everything more difficult.  

I’ve had a new arrival with fluid rings and it ended in dropsy and death, unfortunately.  We may be able to treat but another animal is a wiser choice if it can be managed.  I’m noting some missing scales too, which could be related to whatever is causing the fluid retention.

I already called the store. The manager said they do not do returns on animals (which is strange because my receipt says fish have a 14 day return policy). Needless to say I won't be returning there.

They definitely were not this bad when I got her or else I wouldn't have picked her up. I remember seeing a very small bubble under one eye, but I though it was some odd looking wen growth. Are there any success cases with this?

Posted (edited)

Call back and tell them that they're forced to honor their return policy by law and threaten involvement with enforcement. Or walk into the store with the fish and insist that they follow their policy. Be confrontational if you have to and request a manager. Don't waste resources on a new sick fish. They shouldn't be selling sick fish to begin with. Fluid rings are BAD news and often mean preliminary dropsy. She definitely stands a chance but there's just no reason to bother with a new sick fish if you can help it. She's also missing tons of scales. Doesn't look healthy at all. 

Edited by mjfromga

Ok, I’ll see what i can do and go back in the store. Thanks for the info guys. I think I’m done with pet store bought fish for now. They aren't the greatest around here. I’ll stick with local hobbyists.:no:

On 6/5/2018 at 2:41 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Can she be returned to where you purchased her from?  Starting out with sick stock makes everything more difficult.  

I’ve had a new arrival with fluid rings and it ended in dropsy and death, unfortunately.  We may be able to treat but another animal is a wiser choice if it can be managed.  I’m noting some missing scales too, which could be related to whatever is causing the fluid retention.

I have had fish with Dropsies and have had fish with fluid eyes. the ones with the fluid in the eye normally don't make it. Also I can see scales lifting on this fish too which means that is pretty advanced right now. the hope of saving it is low and if you did it would most likely have this problem again :( 

On 6/5/2018 at 6:57 PM, lotsalotls said:

Ok, I’ll see what i can do and go back in the store. Thanks for the info guys. I think I’m done with pet store bought fish for now. They aren't the greatest around here. I’ll stick with local hobbyists.:no:

See if you have a local koi and goldfish club.  The area I moved to have a good one and they’re doing a show and sale at the local garden center this weekend.  You’d be surprised how many tiny corners of the US have these sorts of things within driving distance :)