Caretta Rose

I'm back... and he's letting me get a 75-gallon!

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys!

It's been a long time and quite a bit has happened in my life between last January (has it really been that long?) I have since lost both my goldie and my precious Betta. My goldie did not acclimate well after a move and my beautiful grey Betta made it to a ripe old age... he is sleeping now both eternally and peacefully!

Well - I have since moved three more times, however the last time it was due to a new man in my life. We moved in to a home together last December and we have gradually been making it more 'homey'. Goldfish and ponds have come up in conversation quite a bit. We have a relatively large backyard (larger than I'm accustomed to, having only rented rooms and bachelor apartments prior to this relationship) that could use a raised pond - but not to get too ahead of ourselves in terms of work and planning, a compromise was made for an aquarium!

I still have my 5.5 gallon Fluval Betta tank, however I was thinking about a planted shrimp tank for this one. I have yet to come across a Betta as beautiful as my late one, and would now prefer to have small crustaceans in a tank that size. 

As fate would have it, I came across a gorgeous 75-gallon aquarium in the classifieds on an oak stand at a reasonable price. I immediately sent it to my partner saying, "Uhm, I might jump on this...", and he was for it! (We might have to secure some beams downstairs with some house jacks - but lucky me to have found a handy man!!)

So ladies and gents of Koko's.... it looks like goldfish might be on the nearish horizon for me, assuming all goes well with this aquarium. I am seeing it on Saturday and bringing the pickup truck just in case ;) I already have grand plans for a planted bare-bottom tank with at least one or two goldies. It has been so long for me.

• Like 2

Yay! Hope all goes well and you can get the tank

Hope you get the tank!!!  :redbanana:

Thanks! I'm going to see the aquarium today... and bringing the truck (just in case) ;)

Oh My.................................UPDATE NEEDED!!!

:theater:

Posted (edited)

I bought it. It's lovely. The man I bought it from almost had second thoughts about selling it... but I managed to convince him that it was the right choice. He said to send him pictures when I have it all set up :lol3 Honestly, the stand that it comes with is what sold it for me!

We are going to look at some house-jacks this weekend. I'm going to take my time getting my filtration and accessories, to make sure I get the right stuff. This is the largest aquarium that I've had - I'm thinking a canister filter might be my best option? I've only had HOB filters in the past. Any advice in that respect would be great.

I'm envisioning a bare-bottom tank with some natural wood and Anubias. Any recommendations on keeping the plants flourishing and healthy would be great as well. I've got lots of time to get set up and will be doing a fish-less cycle once we are prepped.

Edited by Caretta Rose

I've got my eyes on a local-ish goldfish and koi breeder as well. I didn't know about him a couple years ago, but he's about 2 hrs from me. He's in peak koi season right now but he does get some beautiful goldies in often as well. I'm more excited about getting set up and properly cycled than to rush into getting fish!

So glad you got the tank!!!! Can't wait to see it decorated!!!  :redbanana:

Posted (edited)

I think some pics are needed!  We'll even be satisfied with empty tank pics!!! 

Edited by Jeana727
correction

21 hours ago, Jeana727 said:

I think some pics are needed!  We'll even be satisfied with empty tank pics!!! 

I agree. We need pics :P