• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank): 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank): 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank): 0-5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap): 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap): 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap): 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): 8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Bright yellow, not on the high range scale. I can't find my low range bottle. I'll admit I rarely check my tap pH. It was 8.4 last time checked which was months ago. A new filter was added to the well about a month ago which must have lowered it.
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 76
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallon tank with around 10 gallons of water. A few months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? A sponge filter and another air driven filter
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% a day
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 large oranda
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime conditioner only
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day, medicated food
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? This is a new fish
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Kanaplex in the food
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Kanaplex currently on day 3
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? A minor blister on his side. I'm assuming from laying on the bottom.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? 
  • I picked up 3 orandas about a week ago. Unfortunately one has a swim bladder issue. The previous owner said he is 3 years old and the issue started 2 months ago. At first he was upside down but for the last few weeks he has only been laying on his side and going up to the top when food is offered. She tried peas and fasting. 
  • I currently have him in shallow water with 50% water changes everyday. He has a very soft, hollow feeling belly. I also noticed a strong fishy smell to the water so I assumed he has an internal infection. I made some gel food with kanaplex powder/focus and has been feeding it twice a day (this is day 3 of the meds). After I started feeding the fishy smell is nearly gone.
  • He is a ravenous eater and is very active/interactive. His resting state in on his side on the bottom, but he tries hard to swim. He kinda tilts to one side too (the one with the blister). I just want to know if there is anything else I can be doing to help him.

IMG-0986.JPG

IMG-0984.JPG

Honestly you’re already doing everything I’d have recommended, good job!  The shallow water, frequent water changes, and a course of kana are all great.  The fact is the swim bladder may be malformed from injury or even deflated and, so if the fish is healthy and active aside from the sinking/floating, that’s about the best you can hope for.

They either improve with a good, light diet and shallow tank or they don’t. My only other advice is to try long term duckweed as a diet, which is superior to peas for a long term feeding solution.

• Like 1

I'll try to get my hands on some duckweed. Thanks!

• Like 1

How is the fish doing now? any updates?

He still sinks but gets around like a champ! He is honestly one of my most active fish despite his disability. I'm finishing the round of antibiotics, but watching him these past few weeks makes me believe he'll be like this permanently. Honestly, my biggest concern now is the damage being done to his side from being in contact with the bottom of the tank. I put sand on the bottom hoping it will provide some cushion. I clean it everyday, but is bare bottom better? 

Sand is better for that purpose.