Johnlockedtbh

small floaty goldfish in a big tank

12 posts in this topic

Hey there!

So I have this tiny telescope eye goldfish in my 66 gallon tank. He's like 5 cm. I'd say. Which is kinda way too tiny for his age since I got him like 8 months ago. He's always had buoyancy issues, he floats up and it gets worse with feeding no matter what I feed and how much.

Now since he's been in this big tank and he has always had to use a lot of energy to get down I think it has affected his growth.

He's very smart, he wedges himself under plants to stay down, and I provides two terra cotta pots as well as a fry net on it's side with sand in it so he can rest but he still struggles and it makes me sad to see it. It's not really possible for me to set up a shallower tank or tub permanently for him and he would just be lonely.

Now to my actual question. What do you guys think of the idea that I keep him in the tank, but in the fry net for a bit since the fry net is quite big and he is so small and not the best swimmer anyway,

So he can grow a bit, can eat without using too much energy and such. He will still be able to see his 3 friends thru the net so he won't be lonely. It's just the only thing I can really do to help him get a little head start. 

Obviously what I could try is epsom salt baths or even swim bladder aspiration but I'm not confident enough to even anesthetize a fish let alone aspirate a swimbladder tbh.

I'm sorry this is really freaking long but I'm just not sure what to do with him. I love him so much, he has so much character and is so friendly with humans but the just can't do much but float up and fight his way down again.

I really don't want to euthanize him...20180123_160819.thumb.jpg.ba5259ac74b40a7b00911bb1d8a0b5f9.jpg

Yes he doesn't look very good. Judging by his shape and everything, I think he's just a genetically defective, stunted, runted little guy. I suspect his swim bladder issue was something he was born with and cannot be fixed. Fish that small with swim bladder issues were usually born with a defected, misshapen, or misplaced swim bladder. 

Aspirating his swim bladder is a terrible idea and isn't likely to solve the issue anyway. Would be temporary AT best and isn't at all feasible for a fish his size. Impossible truly. Nix this idea completely. 

I can't see that keeping him in a net is a good idea either. Will probably likely cause sores eventually as he rubs against it and doesn't seem like a decent place for the fish to live. The swim bladder issues will only worsen as he grows most likely. The tall deep tank will worsen them. 

If he were my fish, I will be honest and say I would euthanize him AFTER trying to ensure I am not over feeding or feeding foods he is sensitive to. But it seems as if you've done that already. And you cannot give him a shallow home.

Definitely don't take my advice though. There will be others along for a second opinion and at the end of the day, it's always your choice. 

When you can please copy and paste this and fill it out :)

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

The first thing I would do is get a shallow container and some duck weed. This will help him be able to swim. A 65 gallon tank is very tall and some fish can't swim up to the top. Duckweed is a great food for them to nibble on and it helps there digestion :) 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)5-10
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)1-5
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7,8/15/8
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7,5-7,8~~
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?Drops,JBL
      • * Water temperature?22°C
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?66gallons, 10 months~~
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? eheim prof  4+350/big diy sponge filter
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?weekly 50-75%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?60% a week ago
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish, 5cm,7cm,7cm,10cm
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?Prime, flourish,iron,excel
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?2-3 times a day repashy, pellets,peas,veggies,daphnia, bunch of other frozen food, rarely live,
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?Yep 2 goldfish that were quarantined but they arent the problem
  • * Any medications added to the tank?nope
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?nada
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?Just floating

16 minutes ago, koko said:

The first thing I would do is get a shallow container and some duck weed. This will help him be able to swim. A 65 gallon tank is very tall and some fish can't swim up to the top. Duckweed is a great food for them to nibble on and it helps there digestion :) 

But duckweed would encourage him to gulp at the surface...

45 minutes ago, Johnlockedtbh said:

But duckweed would encourage him to gulp at the surface...

Nibbling at the top is a natural thing for goldfish. They do this to eat, or clear there gills. The problem here is that the swim bladder is damaged or has an infection. By giving him a 10 gallon tank a shallow tub the fish doesn't have to swim so hard. Eating duckweed some times helps out with the swim bladder problems, its very good for there digestive system as it is filled with good vitamins for them.

If you can get the fish into a shallow tank or container it might help him out better. :) 

Just now, koko said:

Nibbling at the top is a natural thing for goldfish. They do this to eat, or clear there gills. The problem here is that the swim bladder is damaged or has an infection. By giving him a 10 gallon tank a shallow tub the fish doesn't have to swim so hard. Eating duckweed some times helps out with the swim bladder problems, its very good for there digestive system as it is filled with good vitamins for them.

If you can get the fish into a shallow tank or container it might help him out better. :) 

But the problem us that this isnt an infection and is not damaged. Its just deformed. He will not get better . A shallow tank would have to be permanent. My suggestion was just to enable him to grow a bit so it makes his life a bit easier 

Posted (edited)

"But duckweed would encourage him to gulp at the surface..."

No it won't.  Gulping at the surface occurs when the tank has a tasty film of protein and other organics on the surface.  This film comes from uneaten food which is releasing it's components.  Gel food and soaked pellets produce this film rapidly.  

Live duckweed doesn't release anything.  The fish grabs it, dives to the bottom, chews, swallows and repeats.  Unless you overfeed, floating pellets get grabbed before they have a chance to release any nutrients.

Edited by shakaho
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnlockedtbh said:

But the problem us that this isnt an infection and is not damaged. Its just deformed. He will not get better . A shallow tank would have to be permanent. My suggestion was just to enable him to grow a bit so it makes his life a bit easier 

Since he's had this problem since you got him. I would assume that something had happened to him. You don't know if he will get better until you try. We have had some fish that flipped over and they have done this and the fish got better. On the other had it my not help but you don't know till you try it.

1 minute ago, koko said:

Since he's had this problem since you got him. I would assume that something had happened to him. You don't know if he will get better until you try. We have had some fish that flipped over and they have done this and the fish got better. On the other had it my not help but you don't know till you try it.

he's been in a shallow quarantine tub for a few weeks before, it did nothing, They have had duckweed befor, ate it all, nothing. I've tried everything.

12 minutes ago, Johnlockedtbh said:

he's been in a shallow quarantine tub for a few weeks before, it did nothing, They have had duckweed befor, ate it all, nothing. I've tried everything.

Heres the question did you do the shallow tank with Duckweed. Feeding the duckweed in a tall tank won't help as it is harder for the fish like this to swim to the top.