hkiernan33

Fish still sick

20 posts in this topic

Hi, my 2 goldfish are still sick and really don't know what to now. We have done water changes, took some gravel out of the bottom, given salt baths and used medication. Though the ammonia might be high as Mcfly has developed red streaks, tested the water but was 0. Treated the tank with ammonia remover just invade, as I was informed that the strips can be unreliable. They are both a bit on more active now and not sitting at the bottom. However, Dot has now developed fungus and her scales look really odd, Mcfly still has red streaks and now a tiny black patch on the fin. I don't know what else I can do. Have also removed some ornaments from the bottom of the tank. We have had the fish for about 2.5 years with no problems until we changed tank. Since changing tank it has been one thing after another 644c6658cf3a31655bbd52e1069eab64.jpg9bcaf319170b773a8b10621bc5cf9c2f.jpg9bbcaae71ed49dc33cae477b20bf0ac8.jpgb6e17b7c4ebc0041d2be297781a21830.jpg4aeb6e3ee2406d1e1a71d048c3e1fd33.jpgd86c0cf17498ea90806cb73fd43ad4af.jpg985b6d12458e761c2e1c15a3e72a0650.jpga9ca2d44ef4ae389883e3cce4d9a9424.jpga654b5d221206eabf3afc7a11326ab1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi, my 2 goldfish are still sick and really don't know what to now. We have done water changes, took some gravel out of the bottom, given salt baths and used medication. Though the ammonia might be high as Mcfly has developed red streaks, tested the water but was 0. Treated the tank with ammonia remover just invade, as I was informed that the strips can be unreliable. They are both a bit on more active now and not sitting at the bottom. However, Dot has now developed fungus and her scales look really odd, Mcfly still has red streaks and now a tiny black patch on the fin. I don't know what else I can do. Have also removed some ornaments from the bottom of the tank. We have had the fish for about 2.5 years with no problems until we changed tank. Since changing tank it has been one thing after another 644c6658cf3a31655bbd52e1069eab64.jpg9bcaf319170b773a8b10621bc5cf9c2f.jpg9bbcaae71ed49dc33cae477b20bf0ac8.jpgb6e17b7c4ebc0041d2be297781a21830.jpg4aeb6e3ee2406d1e1a71d048c3e1fd33.jpgd86c0cf17498ea90806cb73fd43ad4af.jpg985b6d12458e761c2e1c15a3e72a0650.jpga9ca2d44ef4ae389883e3cce4d9a9424.jpga654b5d221206eabf3afc7a11326ab1b.jpg

Test Results for the Following: tested today

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0.01

* Nitrate level(Tank) 0

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)  7

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Tetra 6-1 strips

* Water temperature? Not sure, at a guess would say around 12c

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 72 litre upgraded to a bigger tank about 3 month ago

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? No sure

* How often do you change the water and how much? Every week roughly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
50% change yesterday and a 25% change the day before

* How many fish in the tank and their size?
2 goldfish about 5 inches long

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Fluval aqua + water conditioner

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Aquarian advance nutrition twice a day

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? Added eSH 2000 over the last 3 days Dot (the grey fish) due to fungus developing on both sides and clamped fins. Also gave them both a 15 minute salt bath yesterday and today

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Dot had an ulcer about 4 weeks ago and treated with saltbaths and eSH 2000

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Mcfly has red streaks on fin and Dot has fungus on both sides and a very strange patch on one side

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Aggressive, nudging behaviour and then spending a lot of time at the bottom of the tank. No nudging now though. Fin has red streaks and missing scales

Please don't start a new thread on the same problem.

Hi,
I did add to my original post but haven't had any reply and dont know what to do next. Thought I might get help with a new post. Do you have any advice?

Posted (edited)

Have you gotten the API Master Test Kit to test your water? Those test strips are almost useless. Have you been doing daily water changes to make up for the poor tank size and poor filtration? What "ammonia remover" did you use? What are the ingredients in the medication that you used? 

A 15 minute salt bath? I don't think anybody recommended salt dips. If done wrong, they'll cause more harm than help. I don't think these two will benefit from salt dips anyway. I don't think their illness is caused by something that salt dips will resolve. 

It doesn't sound like you actually followed any of the advice you were given. This would explain why the fish aren't getting better. I see a lot of bubbles/foaming on the waters surface. This usually indicates a water quality problem. 

The ulcer that the fish had and their condition now points to a water quality issue more than anything else. I don't believe their filtration is adequate and I'm positive their tank is too small. You'll need to address these issues first. Your test strips showed that your Co2 was high. Again, this points to poor water quality. 

Please let us know when you have the API Master Test Kit. They can be hard to read and use and so we can help you with that if need be. Also, please tell us exactly what type of filters those are so that we can recommend something better. 

Until you can try and work on those things, we ask that you not create additional threads or make repetitive posts. It's just confusing and not helpful. In the meantime, please switch to the Seachem Prime water conditioner and treat the tank with a full dose daily. Thank you. 

Edited by mjfromga

Hi, thanks for your reply. We have had the same filter for about 2 year with no issues. I will see if I can find the name of it and look at upgrade, but can't afford to buy a new filter at the moment. Dot has fungus and was advised by pet store that 15 minute salt baths can help. I have put what medication I am using on the info already, it's called eSHa 2000. I states that it treats flukes, ulcers and a load of other stuff. Not sure what the active ingredient is but it contains zinc. We have never had a problem with water quality until we changed tanks. I will look at purchasing the test you recommend. The ammonia remover I used in interpret ammonia remover

The thing about poor water quality is that it doesn't usually kill quickly. Especially not with these very hardy single tail goldfish. The fish are usually totally fine until SOMETHING makes them vulnerable. Stress, especially poor water quality, etc. Then bacteria and fungus or whatnot can attack them when their immune systems are lowered. 

We ask that advice not be mixed. It can complicate things. If you wish to follow the pet stores advice, by all means do so, but that means that we are unable to help. I don't see fungus and you never posted clear photos of fungus. I DO see shedding slime, but that could have been caused by the salt. 

ANY medicine that claims to be a sort of cure all usually does little to no actual good. I can't recommend that medication you're using without knowing what's in it. After two years of the fish being totally healthy and there being no problems, might I ask what prompted you to change tanks? 

• Like 1

We changed thanks as it was becoming too small for them, and I am actually on my way to pick up a 150 litre tank for them so they will have more room. Do you recommend stopping the salt baths then? I will see if I can get some better photos later. Is there any type of medication that you do recommend? The fungus has only just developed, but she has a small patch of th Gus previously where the ulcer was and that was when we were recommended to give salt baths and it did seem to help the fungus and ulcer

14 minutes ago, hkiernan33 said:

We changed thanks as it was becoming too small for them, and I am actually on my way to pick up a 150 litre tank for them so they will have more room. Do you recommend stopping the salt baths then? I will see if I can get some better photos later. Is there any type of medication that you do recommend? The fungus has only just developed, but she has a small patch of th Gus previously where the ulcer was and that was when we were recommended to give salt baths and it did seem to help the fungus and ulcer

Mj is right. If your seeing red on your fish and fungus (which I don't see) it is water quality. Internal filters are a big No NO with goldfish since they produce so much waste the filter can't keep up with them and then you have bacterial infections. Undergravel filters do the same thing.

The biggest thing you need to do is a bigger tank and HOB filters. HOB filters might cost more money than the internal filters but they filter more water and are easier to deal with.

The other thing like MJ said is you need the drops test kit. The strips just show the average of everything and not the exact water quality.

Again like MJ said if your going to use the Pet store advice then do so but we can't help if you are cause it will be conflicting advice. 

Also adding in ammonia removers in a tank will only delay the problem. Your tank should be absorbing the ammonia in 24 hours not producing more. If it is this means that the tank is to small and the filters are not cycling the tank enough.

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I am actually on my way to pick up a larger tank now. Will defiantly look at getting an external filter when I get paid and will go online shortly and order the stops test kit. Will stop the salt bath if you think it won't be of help. How often should I do water changes in the mean time. Was doing them weekly but since they have been ill we have been doing it more regularly? Is there anything else I can be doing until I can get an external filter?

Just picked up the new tank from my friend and it has an external filter Do you have any advice on setting up a new tank?

20 minutes ago, hkiernan33 said:

Just picked up the new tank from my friend and it has an external filter emoji4.png Do you have any advice on setting up a new tank?

If this is a used tank I would clean it out with vinegar water. scrub it down. Then rinse it really well. Same thing with the filter.  We want to make sure its all cleaned out.

What kind of filter is it? 

I have attached pictures of the filter. I don't really know anything about external filters. Should I set the tank up and let it run for a while before transferring the fish, if so how long would you recommend letting it run for first. A bit worried because last time we changed tanks we had a problem with bacterial bloom and also the fish are currently sick. Last time we transfered some of the old water to the new tank and used the same gravel and then topped it up with conditioned water, and transferred the fish straight away. But not sure if that was the right thing to do. As I am having problems with water quality would it be better to set the tank up with new water and use something like safestart? 29f9d33dd90545998944fb41b5aa47b5.jpg0f65fa2e4b67b077835fff08a742f2cf.jpgc69f2d79f7dadefc10eca6c763579cf4.jpg

That's a canister filter, unless you know about its use, like sick fish I wouldn't use the media in it. I would use the filter floss and such from your internal filter. I would after cleaning everything and setting everything up, let it run for 24 hours with out the fish. I wouldn't worry about moving the water. I would also not put gravel in there.

Ok that's great. Thank you very much for your help. Will be setting the tank up on monday. The fish do seem a bit happier this evening and the red streaks seem to be fading, so think the water changes have helped

The fungus has come back even worse any recommendations for treatment? The stuff I am using eSHa 2000 doesn't seem to be doing the jobedfe5f924522778bf2ab52c337180936.jpg36d6c26ba75159f425aa0b2b34ac5eac.jpg59bc7bc7e0285e94db14d843d6b09683.jpgf8ab45cfd95535ec5ed58a069d05721d.jpg364216873108b965ff1fe070d383b298.jpg231821ec55cd50f87a9da7344f84e7d9.jpg

Would this be recommended?a01bbd3cb4c8a7dfbc1ebb1f1b838905.jpg

On 5/26/2018 at 11:32 AM, hkiernan33 said:

Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I am actually on my way to pick up a larger tank now. Will defiantly look at getting an external filter when I get paid and will go online shortly and order the stops test kit. Will stop the salt bath if you think it won't be of help. How often should I do water changes in the mean time. Was doing them weekly but since they have been ill we have been doing it more regularly? Is there anything else I can be doing until I can get an external filter?

Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

It might help, but we need to know what the water quality is like in the tank now.

ammonia

nitrites

nitrates

ph

plus the same thing from the tap. This will help out to know what to do next. 

That is definitely fungus. Methylene blue baths can help with the fungus but we REALLY need you to get that test kit.