hkiernan33

Red streaks o n goldfish

10 posts in this topic

Hi, noticed one of my fish was spending a lot of time at the bottom of the tank, looking unhappy. There are red streaks on the fin and a few scales missing. Previous to this the fish had been nudging the other fish and chasing it. Have done a water and ammonia test and all appears fine ( results in photos below). Any advice would be great. I am new to keeping goldfish so dont know a lot.4205df33c3d4aedf6a5e445ff676242e.jpgccefa3512d85d2c94f90d21b6de30eee.jpg560df3f7f73b258ee7360d1dfd1a3cb3.jpg68e02e239360bac8ecfdf2944734fbe9.jpg52fdee3143d4e77482f5199891c79f29.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

To me both of the fish I see look clamped and sick... Please fill out the following form to the best of your ability and provide a full photo of the entire tank, as well. I see a small internal filter and I see you're using test strips rather than the drop kit. Test strips aren't very accurate and internal filters cause more problems than they solve. I believe finding out what's sickening your fish begins with those two things. 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Test Results for the Following: see photo

* Ammonia Level(Tank)

* Nitrite Level(Tank)

* Nitrate level(Tank)

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 72 litre upgraded to a bigger tank about 3 month ago

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? No sure

* How often do you change the water and how much? Every week roughly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?

1/2 change a few days ago

* How many fish in the tank and their size?

2 goldfish about 5 inches long

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Fluval aqua + water conditioner

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Aquarian advance nutrition twice a day

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? Not currently. Added eSH 2000 a few weeks ago due to Dot (the grey fish) developing an ulcer and her dorsal fin was very clamped. Ulcer is now healed and dorsal fin improved, but now seems more clamped

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

One fish had an ulcer about 3 weeks ago and treated with saltbaths and eSH 2000

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Streaks on fin, clamped. Dot had ulcer and clamped fin

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Aggressive, nudging behaviour and then spending a lot of time at the bottom of the tank. No nudging now though. Fin has red streaks and missing scales

4205df33c3d4aedf6a5e445ff676242e.jpgccefa3512d85d2c94f90d21b6de30eee.jpg560df3f7f73b258ee7360d1dfd1a3cb3.jpg68e02e239360bac8ecfdf2944734fbe9.jpg52fdee3143d4e77482f5199891c79f29.jpg

8f1ac131778f1a3f62221ec3a0f0c4ba.jpg

a24eb2274ed6a60cdb8a726a7efd8873.jpg

Please start by reading our guidelines for healthy goldfish

The symptoms you describe strongly suggest poor water quality.  While the  API Freshwater Master Kit gives good test results, as MJ pointed out, strips are not very accurate, and the API strips may be the worst.

The thick layer of coarse gravel on the bottom invites the growth of multitudes of bacteria.  Most of these don't cause disease, but simply use up the oxygen in the water as they metabolize fish waste, releasing CO2 which the fish don't need.  The ornaments in the tank have probably caused the lost scales.  

We have trouble with scrolling up and down through multiple pages to get information.  Please copy and paste or quote the form that MJ posted above, then put your answers after each question.

Test Results for the Following: see photo

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0.02

* Nitrate level(Tank) 19

* Ammonia Level(Tap)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)  7.2

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Tetra 6-1 strips

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 72 litre upgraded to a bigger tank about 3 month ago

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? No sure

* How often do you change the water and how much? Every week roughly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
1/2 change a few days ago

* How many fish in the tank and their size?
2 goldfish about 5 inches long

* What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Fluval aqua + water conditioner

* What do you feed your fish and how often?

Aquarian advance nutrition twice a day

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? Not currently. Added eSH 2000 a few weeks ago due to Dot (the grey fish) developing an ulcer and her dorsal fin was very clamped. Ulcer is now healed and dorsal fin improved, but now seems to be clamped again

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

One fish had an ulcer about 3 weeks ago and treated with saltbaths and eSH 2000

Also had a problem with bacterial bloom when we changed tank. This has now resolved with doing water changes.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Mcfly (the gold one) has red streaks on dorsal fin and scales missing

Dot had ulcer and clamped fin

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Mcfly showing aggressive, nudging behaviour and then spending a lot of time at the bottom of the tank. Dot also spending a lot of time at the bottom and has clamped dorsal fin. They have also had periods of jumping erratically at the top of the tankd718a1024a1107fd597c9fb176d899aa.jpg0324206bcdfe834d364cbe95b640e734.jpg77e29bcab3f08faf0ca67b091b11f43c.jpgd104c484376507d6da2e8e7e88e5437e.jpg994bb54e2e71acbb5ffd443f08bfda08.jpg8052c0f7c60d937bada3e2147508f4cb.jpgca016a643050504cffbc33403e4faeb3.jpg0957c878b63d401a22124019cf8f00ce.jpg

I hadn’t realized you posted two threads. Here is what I said on the other, which I deleted to keep this all in one spot:

Hi there!  Your tank is still a bit small, but more frequent water changes can help.  However I’m noticing a big difference in hardness and fairly low pH water coming out of your tap.  How are you treating/buffering it?

Can you verify what filter you have, or at least show us a good picture of it and what kind of media you have in it?

Also, have these fish been treated for flukes?

The photo shows two internal filters. One is very large and is on the right side of the tank. One is smaller and on the left side of the tank. Both are taking up tons of swimming space and we know that internal filters truly aren't the best. I would definitely suggest trying to replace them with something external. 

Hi, thanks for replying. We treat the water with Fluval aqua + water conditioner.

In the large filter is an ammonia remover filter sponge and an ordinary filter sponge.

Dot developed an ulcer and we treated the tank with ESH 2000, which I think would have treated flukes. Do you think it's worth treating the water again? And would you recommend salt baths? We have had the fish for over 2.5 years with out any problems, but since we changed the tank we are having a lot of issues

I have done a bit of research on the red streaks on Mcfly and it says it could be connected to high ammonia, however we test it regularly and it's never been high. Have brought some interpret ammonia remover and will see if that resolves the problem. Will also do another water change today.

Ok thank you. We have had the fish for over 2.5 years with no problems, but since we have changed to a biggerntank they have become sick and having issues

They have both had a saltbath and have done a couple of water changes. Also used some ammonia remover. They both seem a bit happier now and not sitting on the bottom any more and no nudging behaviour. Dots Finns still seem clamped and Mcfly still has red streaks though. Do I just need to be a bit more patient as it's only been a few days and the streaks have been there less then a week