CB.

2 sick bettas. One with Dropsy and the other IDK?

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have 3 bettas that have lived in separate but joined tanks for about 6 months. The water is filtered and flows from one tank to the next and then back through the filter. 2 of the fish are sick. One has dropsy and is starting to pinecone. Is there anyway to save this fish? The other fish is lethargic and simply won’t eat. He is getting thin. His fins are ragged and have been since he got full size (almost 5months ago) so I’m not sure if that’s a sign of rot or not. He was a fluorescent white when I bought him but then turned a deep blue and now is turning white again except for a tiny black spot on one side towards the back. His gills appear clear and unclogged and he doesn’t seem to be having trouble breathing. Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong with this fish? 

The fish are in separate spaces now with no shared water and the one fish is still perfectly healthy. 

Edited by CB.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Yes, please fill out the form so we can best help you.  What you’re describing makes me suspect water chemistry, over feeding, or both.  Help us help you with pictures and more information please :)

Both sick fish are dead. That black spot grew to cover nearly half of the side of the fish within about 12 hours of appearing and he was dead. The other died of dropsy as has every crowntail that I have had. The last fish is still perfectly healthy. Pet store few towns over had what they called a fish expert and she said the black spot was columnaris and to watch the healthy fish for few weeks because that’s apparently fairly contagious. 

My tank is always kept clean and the fish feed every evening. I’ve never heard of or been told to test the water before. 

8 hours ago, CB. said:

Both sick fish are dead. That black spot grew to cover nearly half of the side of the fish within about 12 hours of appearing and he was dead. The other died of dropsy as has every crowntail that I have had. The last fish is still perfectly healthy. Pet store few towns over had what they called a fish expert and she said the black spot was columnaris and to watch the healthy fish for few weeks because that’s apparently fairly contagious. 

My tank is always kept clean and the fish feed every evening. I’ve never heard of or been told to test the water before. 

Well testing the water will help you know what is going on in the tanks. :)