• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0 Tap
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 Tap
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0 tap
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0 tank
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   7.8 tap
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API Drops
      • * Water temperature?  70 F, no heater in tank
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  40 Gallon Breeder, Running ever since February of 2015
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua Clear 70 and Aqueon 30
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? We change 50% or more once a week. 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days ago, about 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 Fantails, 2 inches, 1 5/8, and 1 1/8 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each. A mix of Omega One Goldfish Pellets, Southern Delight Goldfish Pellets, Elive Goldfish Color Granuals, and Thera A+, All are sinking pellets fed once a day. On Weekends I feed either Blood Worms or Brine Shrimp instead of pellets, occasionally some Cucumber slices or cooked peas a few times a month. 
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? I added 2 goldfish after their quarantine last year. I bought them in August 2017 to add to Icicle's Tank to make 3 goldfish total.  I think that they were just treated with salt. Metro, and Prazi for the recommended amount of time for new fish quarantine
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No not yet
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  Salt, Dimilin and Prazi in the past.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? He has a big bulge on his left side and it looks a little red.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No, not really, but kind of lists to the left just a little bit occasionally when swimming today. 

Cosmo's Bump On Left Side (1).JPG

Cosmo's Bump On Left Side (2).JPG

Cosmo's Bump On Left Side (3).JPG

Cosmo's Bump On Left Side (4).JPG

Yikes!  I’m sorry he isnt feeling well.  Has he been pooping normally?  Any fluid rings around his eyes?

When you press the lump does it feel a little squishy or firm like a pebble under the skin?

Most likely the lump comes from either a tumor or an abscess under the skin.  You can't do anything about a tumor. 

Remove the fish to a hospital tank ( a 10 gallon under-bed tote works great).  Add 1/2 teaspoon of epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) per 10 gallons of water.  Feed lightly and change at least 50% of the water daily, dosing the fresh water with epsom salt.

I have had fish with similar lumps respond to this treatment, but it took at least a month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yikes!  I’m sorry he isnt feeling well.  Has he been pooping normally?  Any fluid rings around his eyes?

When you press the lump does it feel a little squishy or firm like a pebble under the skin?

I'm not sure if he is pooping normally or not. No, there are no fluid rings around his eyes. The lump is very squishy and soft, not firm at all. 

Sharon just suggested a treatment to try, do you think we should try that? Otherwise what else should we do? 

3 hours ago, shakaho said:

Most likely the lump comes from either a tumor or an abscess under the skin.  You can't do anything about a tumor. 

Remove the fish to a hospital tank ( a 10 gallon under-bed tote works great).  Add 1/2 teaspoon of epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) per 10 gallons of water.  Feed lightly and change at least 50% of the water daily, dosing the fresh water with epsom salt.

I have had fish with similar lumps respond to this treatment, but it took at least a month.

Thanks for the info! The lump is pretty soft, so I'm hoping it is just an abscess. Yes I have a 10 gallon tote that I use as a QT tank ;) What causes goldfish develop abscesses?  

Agree, if it is soft I’m thinking abscess, not a blockage of some sort. Sharon’s treatment is a good one if it is causing no other symptoms.  If it seems to be worsening or the fish stops eating, I’d recommend 14 days of kanamycin.  But really clean water and Epsom should help alleviate some of the fluid pressure and give his immune system a chance to battle the infection, if there is one.

43 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Agree, if it is soft I’m thinking abscess, not a blockage of some sort. Sharon’s treatment is a good one if it is causing no other symptoms.  If it seems to be worsening or the fish stops eating, I’d recommend 14 days of kanamycin.  But really clean water and Epsom should help alleviate some of the fluid pressure and give his immune system a chance to battle the infection, if there is one.

Ok good! I went to get the QT tank and have it all set up now. I'll check back in with updates :)  Thanks Sharon and Taryl :bighug

It's been a week and it hasn't changed much, maybe a teeny tiny bit. Cosmo is still eating well, but he doesn't like that I'm feeding him lightly during his QT time. He's always begging for more pellets :tantrum:feedme  When Cosmo is resting his tail is floating halfway up and his nose down so he is at an angle like he is going down an imaginary slide, that is not how he usually looks while resting/sleeping. Otherwise he swims horizontally like normal. Should I be concerned with this now? 

• Like 1

The change in buoyancy isn’t great.  We can try a gram negative antibiotic if you’d like, since he is getting more symptoms and not improving, or we can give it a few more weeks with Epsom alone.  Your choice.

It doesn't look like the bump on the left side is improving much, plus I noticed that the right back side of his body looks bigger than the left back side. I never noticed that before until today, but if I look at the 1st pictures I posed on this thread, the white right side does look a big bigger than the left orange side but looks bigger now than back then. Do you think that is something to be concerned with? Today Cosmo had long very thin thread-like poop hanging off of him, but yesterday it was regular. He still eats fine. Cosmo still rests head down on the bottom as his tail is floating almost straight up. 

Do you think we should try the other meds you mentioned before? If so, what one, and do I still need to add any type of salt? 

a1.JPG

a2.JPG

a3.JPG

Here is a video of him swimming in the bowl during water changes today. 

a4.MOV

I don't think anything you do will cure this fish unless you have access to a veterinarian that treats fish.

I’m thinking it’s a tumor, given the swelling and lack of improvement.  Since his behavior is still so good and his fins and such are great, I’m really not leaning toward an infection or virus.  I’m sorry :(  

:no: :madrant :doh11: :tantrum :blink: :( :cry :idont :undecided: :krazy: :cry1 :Dont-Believe: :help1 :why: :glare: 

I’m sorry I couldn’t give you better news :(