Miss Bad Wolf

New juvenile goldfish with seasoned goldfish?

5 posts in this topic

Is it true that juvenile goldfish are not a good idea to add to a tank with three older goldfish? I have had them for at least a year or two. I do not remember how long I had them but they are no longer small juvenile goldfish like the ones I saw at the pet store today. I was told that the current goldfish might pick on the new goldfish so I did not get a new goldfish.

Would it be worth spending more on an older and bigger goldfish or just keep it as three in the 55 gallon tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quarantine the new fish for at least a month.   

Sometimes new fish get so eager to make friends that they chase the established residents all over the tank for hours or even days, but they finally settle down.  Whoever told you that the current goldfish would pick on the new one probably has little experience with goldfish. 

• Like 1

Quarantine the new fish for at least a month.   
Sometimes new fish get so eager to make friends that they chase the established residents all over the tank for hours or even days, but they finally settle down.  Whoever told you that the current goldfish would pick on the new one probably has little experience with goldfish. 
Agree.
But at the same time, every fish is different and even though the general rule applies for many, there are some reports on the webs that aggression has occured.... whether its breeding goldies or not, can't remember; honestly. But worth mentioning regardless.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have had hundreds of goldfish without ever seeing aggressive behavior.  Why frighten someone by referring to all the newbie online reports of typical spawning behavior as "aggressiveness."?  

I have had hundreds of goldfish without ever seeing aggressive behavior.  Why frighten someone by referring to all the newbie online reports of typical spawning behavior as "aggressiveness."?  

What works for doesnt work for all. ;) definently not frightening, rather the truth. Like i said, a vast majority will be fine but sometimes for whatever reason it does not work out. Both are completely normal, and theirs no point of putting the OP at a disadvantage.... if they aware of all facts, they cab add more goldies and also stay vigilant to ensure everyone is doing well from the get go... not after one develops a disease or got injured from x, y and z.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk