Kokos Goldfish Forum
Miss Bad Wolf

New juvenile goldfish with seasoned goldfish?

Is it true that juvenile goldfish are not a good idea to add to a tank with three older goldfish? I have had them for at least a year or two. I do not remember how long I had them but they are no longer small juvenile goldfish like the ones I saw at the pet store today. I was told that the current goldfish might pick on the new goldfish so I did not get a new goldfish.

Would it be worth spending more on an older and bigger goldfish or just keep it as three in the 55 gallon tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quarantine the new fish for at least a month.   

Sometimes new fish get so eager to make friends that they chase the established residents all over the tank for hours or even days, but they finally settle down.  Whoever told you that the current goldfish would pick on the new one probably has little experience with goldfish. 

Quarantine the new fish for at least a month.   
Sometimes new fish get so eager to make friends that they chase the established residents all over the tank for hours or even days, but they finally settle down.  Whoever told you that the current goldfish would pick on the new one probably has little experience with goldfish. 
Agree.
But at the same time, every fish is different and even though the general rule applies for many, there are some reports on the webs that aggression has occured.... whether its breeding goldies or not, can't remember; honestly. But worth mentioning regardless.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have had hundreds of goldfish without ever seeing aggressive behavior.  Why frighten someone by referring to all the newbie online reports of typical spawning behavior as "aggressiveness."?  

I have had hundreds of goldfish without ever seeing aggressive behavior.  Why frighten someone by referring to all the newbie online reports of typical spawning behavior as "aggressiveness."?  

What works for doesnt work for all. ;) definently not frightening, rather the truth. Like i said, a vast majority will be fine but sometimes for whatever reason it does not work out. Both are completely normal, and theirs no point of putting the OP at a disadvantage.... if they aware of all facts, they cab add more goldies and also stay vigilant to ensure everyone is doing well from the get go... not after one develops a disease or got injured from x, y and z.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On 5/13/2018 at 1:23 PM, shakaho said:

So what I thought was aggressive behavior from Summer towards Charley might not be aggressive behavior?

18 hours ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

So what I thought was aggressive behavior from Summer towards Charley might not be aggressive behavior?

Yes.  

After some time grieving the death of Charley, I got a new Charley. I am trying to post his pictures but it is not working right now. I got the new Charley Sunday and now it is Tuesday. Charley seems to like being in his new home and Sunny and Summer seem to get along with Charley.

After some time grieving the death of Charley, I got a new Charley. I am trying to post his pictures but it is not working right now. I got the new Charley Sunday and now it is Tuesday. Charley seems to like being in his new home and Sunny and Summer seem to get along with Charley.

I cannot seem to edit my old post but here is the new Charley.
9bedf7bba5a1d08d77edaea12dc60183.jpg

Im sorry to hear about your fish Charley. I lost a Charlie about 5 years ago my self. :(

The new one you go likes very nice. What kind of tank are you going to put him into? 

10 minutes ago, koko said:

Im sorry to hear about your fish Charley. I lost a Charlie about 5 years ago my self. :(

The new one you go likes very nice. What kind of tank are you going to put him into? 

He is in a 55 gallon aquarium with two other goldfish.

52 minutes ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

He is in a 55 gallon aquarium with two other goldfish.

Did you QT him? :please

8 minutes ago, koko said:

Did you QT him? :please

Ooops i forgot something.

Oh he is very cute

On 4/16/2019 at 2:35 PM, Miss Bad Wolf said:

Ooops i forgot something.

Did you forget to QT him.

If so keep an eye out on your other fish😀

1 hour ago, koko said:

Did you forget to QT him.

If so keep an eye out on your other fish😀

I have been observing everyone in the tank.  The new fish and the old fish.  Yes I forgot to QT him.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I have been observing everyone in the tank.  The new fish and the old fish.  Yes I forgot to QT him.

We all do mistakes so I won't get out the koko stick this time :lol 

I forgot to QT my plants now I got these nasty snails :( 

Edited by koko
spelling

For some reason that I do not know why anymore when I was at Petsmart last Sunday I asked the fish sales person if I could get a mystery fry I saw in a tank if it was at a great price.  Well it was free.  I put the free fish fry into a floating nursery tank.  All was fine until about two hours ago when he escaped the nursery when that went under the fish filter. The mystery baby fish fish has been swimming with the goldfish  for about two hours.  Every time I thought that the goldfish ate him I spot him swimming as if he has no care in the aquairum (or world).

Now I am thinking it was stupid to get a mystery fish fry but if he is still alive after two hours on his own, does that mean he might make it through the night.

Well I am thinking if he does get eaten then I would not have to worry about what he becomes when he grows up.  I was wondering if he grows up and he becomes a bad fit for my aquarium what do I do then?

Did it make it.

It interesting thing, but I would be wondering the same thing. 

Did it make it.
It interesting thing, but I would be wondering the same thing. 

As of last time I checked yes, he is still alive acting like he has no care in the world. (Watch out he is actually a female fish?)

If you can get a photo I would like to see this mystery fish... :)

Maybe someone else might know too :) 

He is difficult to photograph but probably partly due to my cold.79f210f6f545aa6bfb7a128abf97cfa8.jpga85db1f18ff15eb8ef83dec8143a832f.jpg
He is almost all white.

I asked one of my housemates if she knew what kind of fish was the fry. She said it was an angel fish. However she did not mean the fry but the big black fish. I looked at my black moor and wondered how she got the wrong classification of fish.

51 minutes ago, Miss Bad Wolf said:

I asked one of my housemates if she knew what kind of fish was the fry. She said it was an angel fish. However she did not mean the fry but the big black fish. I looked at my black moor and wondered how she got the wrong classification of fish.

Kinda looks Guppy or Mollyish :idont

Kinda looks Guppy or Mollyish :idont

The fish that she thought were angelfish
a0f7d64ad6e2d7e00ea6b2312f258deb.jpg