Sign in to follow this  
adnan

Ramshorn pearl snails

33 posts in this topic

These are so nice!  It's the Irish water!  Curious if you know off hand what your regular water parameters are ie. pH, GH/tds or KH out of the tap?  No worries if you don't know off the top of your head.

We have very soft water here, so unless I'm supplementing to bring up water hardness, the ramshorn shells get a little whitish (not in a good way).

These are so nice!  It's the Irish water!  Curious if you know off hand what your regular water parameters are ie. pH, GH/tds or KH out of the tap?  No worries if you don't know off the top of your head.
We have very soft water here, so unless I'm supplementing to bring up water hardness, the ramshorn shells get a little whitish (not in a good way).
You could use a crushed Coral in one of your filters to help with this. I read once when I was breeding apple snails (Pomacea Diffusa) it was recommended to me.

Applesnail.net has some good information on it.
http://applesnail.net/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5057

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thanks Daniel!  I used to visit the applesnail site when I had Pomacea bridgesii years before, they never did as well as our friends with hard water.  Shells were always a little scratchy looking even with calcium supplementation.  Maybe not a good balance of magnesium/calcium?

Anyways, I do have buffers like crushed coral for the tanks that could use it, for most of my tanks fish prefer softer, acidic water so the ramshorns will just have to suffer! lol.

Thanks for your comments guys! 

The Irish water (the region between Belfast and Dublin) is right in the middle ;) , not very  soft or very hard, not very acidic or  alcanine. To be honest I am checking the parameters of the water ones in a blue moon but a friend of mine is so strict of this point that he keeps me informed about all details of  the water parameters. The funny thing is that both of us have planted tanks and he used far more chemicals than me and as a result he has black beard algae and I don’t :P 

About snails shells and shrimps hytiene shell once of week I use a special supplement designed for them. It is relatively cheep product ( about 3£) and I buy it online. Far better than to use coral pieces.

At the moment I have only PH and Nitrate tests and tomorrow  I will  give you exact info about the water parameters of my Low Tech Planted tank. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, no need to go through all that trouble unless you were going to test anyway.  I always believed that you shouldn't doctor your water source too much unless it is very deficient in something that may effect the overall health of your fish.  The more you add, the greater the chance of missing something and stressing your tank inhabitants. Looks like Irish water is perfect for your tank.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok, just tested PH and Nitrate level parameters. Well, let me first clarify some important points that could reflect on the water parameters- the tank water was changed 4-5 days ago around 50% as usual, of course I used prime water conditioner and in the next day added regular plant fertiliser and hytiene shells supplement. So these are the results:

Nitrate level almost 0

F96C31B8-4063-43B0-9CA8-4208AC1DB42A_zps

PH level I could say between 7.8-8 

97BEA459-945B-43BB-B820-8F1D6D8D65FA_zps

Edited by adnan

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:08 AM, adnan said:

it appeared some blue and red-brown coloured ramshorns, but they are only few.

If you want to keep your snail stock true to color (pearly pink), I'd remove the blue and red-brown snails.  If they breed, then you will eventually have multicolored snails and possibly only brown snails in the end.

Good Luck!  :D

• Like 1

Thanks for remaining me that  Acro, appreciate! 

By the way if you’re wandering why PH is relatively high, it because of adding snail and shrimp shall supplement, which makes water rich to calcium and that affect PH, increasing its level. That parameters are great for Srimps, snails and African lamp eyes kili fish but definitely not good for my corydoras catfish.