swimswim

Which do you like better?

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, koko said:

Yes you can post a link to ECR. Cynthia is a great seller and breeder. :)

Thank you, I agree, Cynthia is great, keeps her fish nice and clean.  Very busy lady, has a full time job and goldfish breeding as another full time job, so she may need time to get back to you.

Swimswim if you are able to make suitable delivery arrangements, I would consider at least 2 if you buy from a breeder.  Likelihood that they are from the same brood if you buy the same strain, so raised in same conditions.  Depending on the size of the fish, shipping prices shouldn't change.  I believe her ECR orandas are Thai based, just a different look.

https://www.eastcoastranchu.com/

I haven't purchased from Raingarden, but I really enjoy reading their reference articles

http://raingarden.us/

31 minutes ago, koko said:

Nope no member with that kind of email. :( 

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. The truth always comes out in the end. :) I know about car forums trust me on that one :o 

I walked into a beehive of a poodle breeder forum once.  I was so frightened...  :death

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dahling8 said:

Thank you, I agree, Cynthia is great, keeps her fish nice and clean.  Very busy lady, has a full time job and goldfish breeding as another full time job, so she may need time to get back to you.

Swimswim if you are able to make suitable delivery arrangements, I would consider at least 2 if you buy from a breeder.  Likelihood that they are from the same brood if you buy the same strain, so raised in same conditions.  Depending on the size of the fish, shipping prices shouldn't change.  I believe her ECR orandas are Thai based, just a different look.

https://www.eastcoastranchu.com/

I haven't purchased from Raingarden, but I really enjoy reading their reference articles

http://raingarden.us/

I have gotten two fish from Raingarden, and they where great fish :thumbs: 

Thank you everyone.  ECR looks good. About to check out raingarden.  I would bet these are better than LFS stuff.

They were both nice. I decided the right thing to do is get two quality fish from ECR. I mean every single animal on this farm originated from top breeders. I have no idea why I would treat fish any different. TBH, you end up spending more on medicine than on the fish. The only thing is I would like to ask her how much shipping is. I am worried to upset her with all she says. I am serious and not a jerk but I fully understand any breeder is jaded on the internet. I am by wi/il Lake Geneva area. If anyone can guess shipping I would appreciate that. I could spend about $700 for 2 fish and shipping. I am just guessing shipping is the bulk of the price. I was originally set on the big Asian farms until you folks enlightened me and I am glad you did!

I live in Canada and I had my ECR fish shipped to a border town an hour away from me in Washington state.  Goldfish cannot be shipped across the border into Canada.  So I had to pick up the goldfish at Fedex Cargo at the town's airport and make declaration at the border before bringing them back into Canada.  My shipping costs via Fedex overnight was about $110 airport to airport for a large box with 3 fish.  So I went to the Fedex Outlet at the cargo area of the airport to pick up my box of fish.  You get a waybill and a tracking number so you'll get an idea of when your fish will arrive at your airport unless you want it delivered directly to you home.  I prefer picking up my box of fish at the airport so they're not bounced around in the Fedex truck all morning long until they drop it off at a Fedex kiosk/outlet or your home. 

The ECR website has a link for a shipping quote that you can forward with your shipping information and Cynthia can give you a quote.  The quote will depend on your location, and the size of the shipping box.  So that depends on the size and number of fish that you would like to order and where you would like to have the fish shipped.  I would recommend picking them up at the airport if you have the time and it's not too far away or inconvenient.  Make a day of it!  It's like Christmas in the summer.  Mark down on the form that you would like to pick it up at the airport (or your address).

https://www.eastcoastranchu.com/shippingquote

My shipping cost is probably the most expensive option, Fedex guaranteed overnight delivery for a large box.  I wouldn't think your shipping costs would be that high. 

Cynthia is a nice fair person to work with.  If you're upfront and honest with her, there shouldn't be any issues.  Know what you want, don't ask her to jump through hoops etc. and the transaction will go through smoothly.  It's the orders that makes changes etc. etc. and decides to cancel which she has little time for.

Good luck!

Thank you. I fully understand she would have had it with tire kickers jerks rude etc. Unless I can get a flight to municipal airport it has to come home. The major airports are too far. We prefer country living but it does have some down sides.  I figured I could alot $300 to shipping so I should be safe. My Brother lived in Ontario for 23 years, Now he lives in the Netherlands.  He used to send someone to Buffalo for stuff. You are lucky customs did not catch you! I do not break laws but that is absurd, I would break that one too. OH, better to bring a fish than a stupid gun, right? Some laws stupid. They outlawed retail sale of rabbits in Wisconsin and Illinois. My favorite show rabbit passed away. So Instead of spending $95 I spend $$$. I have offspring, rabbits you know lol. They are not what I want as my household companion though. Honestly her fish are much nicer than petsmart. As soon as the tank cycles again I will place an order. I stripped the tank because that fish was riddled with disease. I was not going to trash all that equipment so cleaned it. It makes no sense to buy potentially sick fish. Sure, any animal can get sick but less likely from a quality source imo. I did not realize there were other avenues to obtain them.

It does save a lot of time and possibly grief when you're able to get healthy stock from a quality supplier, whether it be fish and our other pets.  You're doing the right thing, sterilizing everything first before bringing in new fish.  ECR fish comes in very clean, so they do need time to build up their immunity system.  Are you planning on ordering juvenile fish or adults?  I find it so rewarding to grow out juvenile fish.  I may order some top view ranchu fry and grow them out in stock tubs one day.

I hope your order and shipping goes smoothly.  I find it very exciting when I know there's a parcel of fish waiting for me for pick up.  Whether it's dropped off by courier or I have to go pick it up myself, it's all good!  

Most US dealers will not ship across the border, there's too much paperwork, red tape to complete and greater shipping/processing fees.  There's no problem in shipping to a different location ie. Buffalo and the onus is on us to make sure we follow the necessary steps to bring our fish home.

I'm familiar with import laws, so when I bring fish back into the country, I make my declarations, fill whatever certificates are required (species specific) and pay my customs/duty fees.  The laws for fish/livestock are there for a reason.  We have a delicate fisheries here with salmon/trout spawning rivers and streams so they have to monitor invasive species of fish.  Some none thinking Snakehead fish pet owner released one into one of our ponds a few years back, and it could have decimated wild fish stock if it ever made it into our major water ways, since it's very predatory.  Since then, they've clamped down on specific species of fish that can survive and compete with our native species of fish.  Customs have the right to impound and destroy any unauthorized livestock and I'm too much of a chicken to risk any creatures' lives by bringing them in illegally.  I have to be too, my wife works for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada so nothing gets past her. :rules:

But enjoy the process, it is a lot of fun to finally drop your new goldfish into your tank.  Be sure to show us what fish you've ordered.

Thank you. I always get young. I mean not fry but like 3-4" total. I just said that in another post. Yes, ripping off customs is not the serious big deal that people do. they release non indigenous species that compete and well you know the outcome. There are still very pristine waters in CA. In the US but few. People did not care what belongs to everyone. All the Pythons in FLA. etc. 

Well here is a problem. If a major Airport, too far. To home this bum driver never rings/knocks. Someone is always here. So it could sit outside hours when I was right here! Cannot risk that so I have no choice to go to the Airport.

I agree, causing them to have to destroy any living creature is a tragedy.

On the other Hand this is funny. A guy from Germany was staying with us a long time ago. He overstayed his Visa. So went to CA. You know how peaceful Y'all are especially back then. So they ask does he have anything to declare. He declared a Tazer and illegal knife. At least he was honest. However he then found his way back to Germany sans his weapons lol. 

Unfortunately everything real nice she had is sold so I am going to have to wait. That is okay. Good things come in due time. The opposite of being a jerk I guess I can ask if I can paypal her some money to reserve 2 in the future. Unless that stresses her out I am not sure. Or some of the adult/junior combos are not bad at all.  Decisions. She is obviously a decent person seeing their prices. Those guys in China sell sick fish for $400 and up. Notwithstanding shipping. See that gets held up by customs people not only just lost $$$ they are responsible for murder without penalty.

I also found out the so called high end LFS I have been too is importing junk from China. I hate to call a fish junk but you know what I mean. Just sick fish.

I am not afraid to get an animal at a decent pet store even though many are against it. Even a dog or cat or bird. Like the fish I would want them quickly before they had a chance to mistreat them though. Quite frankly they should not have higher forms of life but I can't stop them. If a pet is sold the day it comes in all is good. It is when say a dog sits there 6 months. I don't really think the issue is abuse, more neglect in pet stores. Cages way too small as well as aquariums. I would rather just deal with people that care. One problem with like petsmart/Petco is you do not know when they came in. Unless you know someone that works there or something I guess.

Anyways at least I picked a breeder. Either have to wait or take what she has on hand. I will just let everyone know when they are here. This thread may be pretty old by then lol. Not procrastinating just want what I am looking for. She will have it soon enough I am sure. I would really like 2 from Diesel I guess. Those are magnificent. Obvious why they are all sold.

Just one other idea perhaps I am not sure if Aquabid is still online but is that a bad idea? I did before, of course 3 months total fungus. Well, I guess I just answered my question :)