adnan

My gorgeous Comets

45 posts in this topic

Yes, it’s hollow statue and the hole is in the bottom. Is there any potential hazard? Probably the anaerobic environment in the hole creates hazardous gases. 

2 hours ago, adnan said:

Yes, it’s hollow statue and the hole is in the bottom. Is there any potential hazard? Probably the anaerobic environment in the hole creates hazardous gases. 

:bingo: That is the reason I never put them in. I had to many fish dying from Dropsies and that was the main issue :o 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone!

I like the small statue a lot and it fits perfect among the  rocks just the question is how to make the hollow statue harmless for the aquarium  inhabitants. I have couple of ideas- first one is to isolate the hollow using plastic cover and silicone, the second idea is to drill on the statue couple of small holes in order to provide a water flow in the hollow, so to avoid the danger anaerobic environment. I personally prefer the second way. So I am going to try that ;)

A picture from today immediately after water change. 

DC0C199C-FA10-4CE5-97FE-555F1033442A_zps

Edited by adnan

10 hours ago, adnan said:

Hi everyone!

I like the small statue a lot and it fits perfect among the  rocks just the question is how to make the hollow statue harmless for the aquarium  inhabitants. I have couple of ideas- first one is to isolate the hollow using plastic cover and silicone, the second idea is to drill on the statue couple of small holes in order to provide a water flow in the hollow, so to avoid the danger anaerobic environment. I personally prefer the second way. So I am going to try that ;)

A picture from today immediately after water change. 

DC0C199C-FA10-4CE5-97FE-555F1033442A_zps

You could do either. The other way is to fill it with sand and then seal it with aquarium silicon. :) 

• Like 1

No change, happy fish ;)

52927591-8399-46C9-BF74-80E4A9D50F8E_zps

• Like 2

I have my Comets almost for  4 months and don’t grow as I expected. Obviously I will have bonsai type Comets. They are approximately 5,5 inches. 

Does that length include the tail? (total length -- useless information since goldfish have so many different types of tails)

How long were they when you got them?

People have put a lot of research into finding a way to produce mini goldfish, since "feeder" sized goldfish have a large market.  They can delay growth for a few months by feeding the fish the minimum amount of food that will keep them alive.  Even these starved fish will grow to normal size with normal feeding unless they have experienced more than 2 years of near-starvation.

Could you link us to information on "bonzai goldfish" ?

Hi Sharon! 

Thanks for responding! Yes, 5,5 inches including tail. I feed them regularly 3-7 times per day using quality goldfish food and of course being carful to avoid over feeding, plus 1 day without feeling. 

Why I think they will be bonsai Comets, simply because I don’t expect they to grow up to 8-9 inches including  the tail. 

I have heard the term bonsai from Japanese koi fish keepers and of course I associate that with goldfish ;) 

Hi everyone!

Couple of interesting things happen in my goldfish aquarium. 

First one is that my goldfish started mating, which is good sign that everything (the environment) in my aqua is ok. Well the next thing is they where mating for couple of days nonstop, and in really harsh way compared to other fancy goldfish. The all process was so rough that red gold colour of the female comet (her name is Red Fire) turns into yellow-white. When the situation calms down in her sides appears sign of white cotton. Well, after water change and adding only Prime treatment in couple of days she back to normal....... but she lost her shiny red colour.......hope in time that coloration will be back on. 

And there is another thing- my blue Shubunkin (Blue Steel) is not as I thought a gorgeous female, he is very rough male lol. So in my goldfish tank there are 1 female and 3 males. Soon have to find another female to have some balance in the goldfish aqua.

3 males and one female will result in that female taking a beating.  I recommend at least 2 females to 1 male.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just was thinking what combination to do. My tank is 75 gallons and I have 3 males and 1 female. If the ratio 2 female to 1male is  optimum combination that means that I have to find another 5 female Comets. Well that obviously will make my tank overstock. On the other hand if I take out my female comet (to give to someone who will take care of her)  it will left only the boys. So I think 3 males comets isn’t too bad combination for 75 gallon tank, is it? 

Edited by adnan

Just was thinking what combination to do. My tank is 75 gallons and I have 3 males and 1 female. If the ratio 2 female to 1male is  optimum combination that means that I have to find another 5 female Comets. Well that obviously will make my tank overstock. On the other hand if I take out my female comet (to give to someone who will take care of her)  it will left only the boys. So I think 3 males comets isn’t too bad combination for 75 gallon tank, is it? 
Your logic sounds good to me. An all male tank poses the least risk of having issues.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tank looks great Adnan!!!

• Like 1

Hi everyone! 

That’ the current situation so far- 75 gallon goldfish tank, 3 male comets :)

My female comet goldfish is in new home already. 

Couple of pictures:

let me introduce my fish. All of them have unique personalities lol 

The first one is Magnum, I could say that he is just a perfect model for classical comet goldfish fish, perfect body and fins. He was golden-orange but because colour enhancing food he turned into red.

2E926D8F-33DE-4E0A-ABDC-6ADFAB938BF6_zps

2D3FD9FB-2379-4D31-9D29-95AE8ADEE530_zps

This is Ferrari,  a red comet male goldfish, torpedo type of body, long fins, most active one, the leader of the team lol 

52019AFE-2EAE-454A-90D2-E29A66481ED1_zps

D2BEEA7D-FE62-4DCD-A6AC-4DAC15E389E8_zps

0A099FC4-E2BF-4644-BF05-233849DD816C_zps

That is funny picture, looks like he is vomiting lol

A440E8A5-2E8D-490E-8072-8A01FC9B0576_zps

The next one is Blue Steel. The interesting thing about him is that I was thinking that he is a gorgeous female and I was wondering why he always follow the female one, the enigma was solved when since a month it appeared his breeding stars lol 

A02FCA85-202A-424D-AAF6-EE4049824A23_zps

409F038D-473F-441E-B9E1-9962906E954E_zps

And a brief Instagram clip of the current situation ;)

Nice fishies!  The blue fish is really unique.  Is that blue sand?

• Like 1

A440E8A5-2E8D-490E-8072-8A01FC9B0576_zps

This photo is funny as heck. You should post this in the goldfish of the week contest :lol 

Also your fish are so bright, love the colors :thumbs: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Netta said:

Nice fishies!  The blue fish is really unique.  Is that blue sand?

Thanks Netta!

The sand supposed to be white, but my “white” colour LED light colour it into blue lol 

Very nice looking tank, the lighting makes it look very "lunar"! 

I also like the look of the Thai (?) warrior statue.  I tried to sneak in a Buddha statue but I got a roomful of frowns.  :madrant

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adnan said:

That is funny picture, looks like he is vomiting lol

For good reason.  Goldfish grab mouthfuls of sand and organic material and then skillfully swallow the organic material and spit out the sand.  I haven't seen the spitting in a photo before.  Nice one!

• Like 1