adnan

My gorgeous Comets

34 posts in this topic

Hi to everyone!

Maybe some of you remember me, but for these ones who don’t know me just a brief introducing- my name is Adnan, regionally from Bulgaria but living in Northern Ireland. 

Well, my intention is in time  I would like to share my goldfish adventure with all of you who like these beautiful creatures named goldfish :)

I personally like and interested of all types of goldfish but my favourite top breeds are torpedo shape ones, like shubunkins, comets, wakins, jikins..... especially the long fancy tail ones. 

Since 3 weeks I have 5 golden-red comets, at the moment their size is 2,5-3 inches long without the tails. All in my 75 gallon tank. I bought them from England, probably local breed. I assume that they are approximately 1 year old, still teenagers, 3 girls and 2 boys. 

So far I didn’t notice something wrong with their condition, very healthy and active fish, excellent coloured. 

Regarding the tank interior I’m still thinking about it. The current interior is temporary. Probably the new one will be with artificial plants imitation of Cabomba plant, plus drift woods and small rocks. Simple, stylish design but the most importantly comfortable for its inhabitants. 

Hopefully in time their tails will be growing as long as their bodies.

Couple of pictures of the current situation.

41089D59-97AF-4C36-B961-A900D3C7FF3A_zps

7F14BF93-006A-4F1E-8BF3-CE47CA635055_zps

CC63CAE8-4275-4958-923A-2F35ECF6FD42_zps

• Like 4

Hi! They are beautiful fish! I love comets too

• Like 1

Very nice :thumbs: I would only worry about that hollow log in there :o 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, koko said:

Very nice :thumbs: I would only worry about that hollow log in there :o 

Thanks for your advice, I will pay attention of this to avoid potential problems. 

Beautiful tank & Goldfish!!!

• Like 1

Since you want long flowing tails, take care with your choice of artificial plants.  Many plastic plants have stiff "leaves" with fairly sharp edges, and these can tear fins.  If you can't use live plants consider "silk" plants.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, shakaho said:

Since you want long flowing tails, take care with your choice of artificial plants.  Many plastic plants have stiff "leaves" with fairly sharp edges, and these can tear fins.  If you can't use live plants consider "silk" plants.

Yup this just happened to my Moor. My little one wanted to have a fake coral in there and during breeding She got pushed into it hard and lost three scales on her side. Its gone now :(

Plastic stuff and fish fins don't mix :( 

15 hours ago, shakaho said:

Thanks Sharon, I will consider this. I already ordered soft artificial plants, cobomba plant imitation.

Just fresh update. Still considering to add couple of bigger rocks and smaller size artificial cabomba plant. 

45FB9D6B-EDA6-42CA-8A5E-ABFE78349BE5_zps

• Like 1

Hi again!

So today I add couple of more plastic Cabomba plant. The idea is the aquarium to imitate a bottom of lake. 

By the way recently noticed that the comet’s tails are growing indeed, it’s visible. Really hope in couple years if everything is going well they to have impressive shape.

Here couple of pictures.

4283E2B4-0422-408B-ADD9-87B1BD146AB7_zps

D83D478D-3F81-4888-BDEB-6A19CEA08DA4_zps

BE5DAE60-0360-4C3B-BF1F-FF4A43CDBCB5_zps

• Like 1

WOW very nice looking :thumbs: 

• Like 1

Like all types of goldfish according the size of the body the comets are also deviated in bonsai, medium and jumbo size. I think mine will be medium size and probably after couple of years they could reach not more than 4-5 inches, only the body.

At the moment they are around  3-3,5 inches without the tail, and I assume 1 year old. 

They look great and I love the tank!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok, it past month and a half since I got my Comets, so far so good. I am impressed how fast they are growing. The last news is I am going to have a bargain with a friend of mine. At the moment I have 3 female and 2 male Comets, he desperately needs 2 females and I in their place he promised me a blue female Shubunkin. We shall see what will happen. Soon expect pictures ;)

Edited by adnan

:theater:

I can't wait to see 

Hi again! 

Ok, what I was planned had been done, which is- today I swapped 2 female comets for 1 female subunkin. Now the inhabitants are 4 singletails- 2 males and 2 females. The new one a bit smaller and skittish, notpart of the school yet, hopefully soon will join the gang.

Pictures of the current situation.

E6732A18-AF49-4196-93FF-87D74875E39A_zps

5A0AF1DF-B4D6-4595-B105-29F29DEE7FAF_zps

ADA406CD-BB93-4266-BCA1-4FB10812EE00_zps

DF4AF57B-B38E-4542-A17A-1E67BE233A16_zps

And that is her- the new female shubunkin :) 

41987323-FACE-428B-A081-F4ADC693695F_zps

Nice color on that shubbie.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 2:00 PM, adnan said:

Like all types of goldfish according the size of the body the comets are also deviated in bonsai, medium and jumbo size. I think mine will be medium size and probably after couple of years they could reach not more than 4-5 inches, only the body.

At the moment they are around  3-3,5 inches without the tail, and I assume 1 year old. 

As a rule of thumb, goldfish reach half their mature body length at about 18 months.  Four to five inches of standard (not including tail) length would be a small adult comet.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It’s good to know that, thanks Sharon! 

Mine are still juveniles, probably around  a year + according the information of the vendor. Recently their size changed a lot, growing well, but one thing is for sure, they wouldn’t  be Jumbo size.

Let me share their diet- Saki Hikari ,30% spirulina flakes, large  Artemia, red flakes as colour enhancer and  Repashy Soilent Green. Usually I feed them twice per day but when I am off- 5-6 times in small portions. 

Edited by adnan

That shubunkin is really nice in that tank. Wow what a great choice :thumbs: 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, koko said:

That shubunkin is really nice in that tank. Wow what a great choice :thumbs: 

Thanks Koko!

Indeed this blue shubunkin has perfect body structure  and excellent shaped fins. Hopefully in time it gonna be an impressive goldfish. Her name is Blue Steel ;)

• Like 1

Beautiful fish & tank! Your new shubunkin is especially gorgeous :)

• Like 1

Oh she is a beautiful shubie!

• Like 1

Sorry, it’s again Instagram clip, but that’s faster way to post the video clip. 

So if you notice I put back my old Buddha statue :)

• Like 1

Nice looking tank. I got one question for ya. Is that statue hollow? If so be careful :) 

• Like 1