Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

Problem?

I cannot detect any water quality issues or fish health issues and I have been looking VERY closely. I've NEVER seen algae this bad. This pond isn't new either. I haven't done anything because honestly the fish seem totally fine and I can't see any water quality issues... But this definitely isn't normal. I don't even know what kind of algae that is. Never seen it before. I am hoping is isn't cyanobacteria... But it doesn't truly look like it and the water quality doesn't support that.

Kinda looks like Hair algae to me. I had that once in my Pond years ago. :o 

I've had that green algae, usually in ponds without a filter or with a too small filter.  It often floats to the top with bubbles all over it -- oxygen bubbles.  If you try to grab some with your hand it just falls apart, but you can net it.  

The filter is the right size, but there are too many fish so that makes sense. I can't see any water quality issues but the fish are still babies so there may be something as they grow. I was going to move some of these fish to my bigger pond come spring, but of course that isn't an option now so they're stuck here. Annoying looking crap though. I've netted some of it, but it just did zero good so I gave up. 

3 hours ago, mjfromga said:

The filter is the right size, but there are too many fish so that makes sense. I can't see any water quality issues but the fish are still babies so there may be something as they grow. I was going to move some of these fish to my bigger pond come spring, but of course that isn't an option now so they're stuck here. Annoying looking crap though. I've netted some of it, but it just did zero good so I gave up. 

Now long ago when I did get it in my pond. It seemed to show up in the fall and spring time as the sun is lower in the sky. :(

I also used some barely straw to help remove it, it worked to a point but not enough to get it all out of there. I think with your shady spot under the wood and the wood being in the pond might be causing this. Have you checked your Phosphate levels? 

Nope haven't checked those levels. Don't have a kit to test. I've had this pond for almost two years now and never seen this issue. The pond is extremely shaded but I thought that was a good thing. Only half the pond ever gets light. 

Oh by the way... I saw full on spawning attempts today. Rustic was REALLY trying to hammer Shrimp. With all that annoying algae, some eggs/babies might survive... BAD! 

30 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

Nope haven't checked those levels. Don't have a kit to test. I've had this pond for almost two years now and never seen this issue. The pond is extremely shaded but I thought that was a good thing. Only half the pond ever gets light. 

Pm me your addy. I have a test kit that Im not using. I tested mine and I don't have any so if you would like it I can send it to ya :)

Done. Thank you a ton Koko! 

Its been sent :thumbs: 

Nothing showing on the tests. The algae issue is getting much worse though. 

13 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Nothing showing on the tests. The algae issue is getting much worse though. 

Hummm.... You might want to try this. I did years ago when I had a pond, I got this algae in there and it got bad. Used this and it went away :) 

https://extension.psu.edu/barley-straw-for-algae-control

Can also use sodium percarbonate on it. Basically dry hydrogen peroxide.

For ponds it is marketed as Green Clean and other names. You can get it cheaper on eBay.  Bonus you can use it on your laundry and your floors!  It is the active ingredient in Oxy-Clean.  It will also reduce potassium permanganate if needed.

I think the belief is that barley straw releases hydrogen peroxide as it decomposes, so this is basically a different form of the same treatment.

I buy mine from this eBay site. https://m.ebay.com/itm/Sodium-Percarbonate-Uncoated-Kosher-5-Lb-Pack-9849/192522144283?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20180306143914%26meid%3D0e3ba87cf86143acaaa5fcf4be285603%26pid%3D100935%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D192514674601%26itm%3D192522144283&_trksid=p2056116.c100935.m2460

(I’m assuming it’s hair algae that your showing. It was hard for me to tell.)

The problem is worse. A nightmare. I decided I'm going to do a mass clean and see if I can control it from the jump. It's so bad now that the fish are getting stuck in it. I'm worried about misusing products in the pond. They all say fish can die if you make an error. 

I think it's string/hair algae... But I am not certain. I will show again tomorrow to be sure. 

57 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

The problem is worse. A nightmare. I decided I'm going to do a mass clean and see if I can control it from the jump. It's so bad now that the fish are getting stuck in it. I'm worried about misusing products in the pond. They all say fish can die if you make an error. 

I think it's string/hair algae... But I am not certain. I will show again tomorrow to be sure. 

I understand you :) but I can say barely straw works all natural :)