SebastianTheCrab

Any disadvantages of doing a greater than 50% WC?

6 posts in this topic

If a tank is cycled and their are plenty of BBs on the bio media, are there any disadvantages to a water change that is over 50% ?

How about 60% to 100% ?

Make sure your tank and tap pH are same or very close and match temperature. I always do more than 50%. See my signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

More is better, but not necessarily in one shot.  I tend to remove 50%, fill it back up, then drain it down to 20% or so.  That gets out a lot of old water but is more gentle on them than being pushed straight into a totally changed tank, unless your tap and tank are extremely close.  But goldfish benefit, in general, from high water turnover.  10-20% changes every day would be ideal, or a flow through system, but in lieu of that large weekly water changes work well.

There are other caveats if your tap water has high nitrates or ammonia, so this just general advice.  With goldies, more and more frequently is better.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Thanks 1

As Taryl said, tap water problems like high nitrate, ammonia, low KH, or organic pollutants can make 100% water changes or even 50% water changes risky unless one stores and treats the tap water before using it for water changes.  If you have perfect tap water, the more you change the better.

I have used 10% daily water changes for years.  This roughly equals a 50% weekly water change in waste removal.  The fish love this since their water seems the same every day,  and goldfish are ultraconservatives.

• Thanks 1

I do a 90% once a month or so.  Never had a problem.  I just have to remember in the summer time I can run straight cold but during the winter I have to fiddle with the water temp. lol  Come to think of it I don't do 90% as often in the winter but I should cause that is when the pond fish are inside.

• Thanks 1

I do 80-90% every week, but my tap PH etc matches the tank. The only thing that is slightly different sometimes is the temp but even that generally stays pretty close.

• Thanks 1