Acro

Good Goldfish Source

13 posts in this topic

For the past few years, I haven't been too active on the forum.  And now I'm ready to admit that I actually haven't kept goldfish for a few years.  I had something happen with my water, lost my 2 goldfish a few hours after a water change.  I either did something, or didn't do something, or there was a problem with the water it self.  I had been keeping goldfish for around 8 years, and I don't know what went wrong.  I was so sad afterwards that I didn't care to find the cause.  They simply were alive one moment, then one died that night, the second one was found dead in the morning.  One of those fish I had kept for around 8 years.

Anyway . . . I've since moved into a new house and I have a 2 car garage under my house.  I am going to make an indoor pond down there and I need a good source for goldfish.  I'd love to buy from Rain Garden, but I can't spend that much money.  I could easily go to the local fish store, but I want healthy, large fish.  What I'm looking for are large commons (aka Hibuna), all the same sex, as I don't want any breeding.  I don't really care about the colors.

I'll be setting them up in an aquaponic system, so the water will be filtered by houseplants, all beautifully arranged.  I'm not sure what size the pond will be yet, as I might use a prefabricated pond liner, stock tank, or a cut IBC tote.  It's even possible that I'll get an old Hot Tub that I saw on Craigslist.  But it's likely the pond will be between 160 gallons and 330 gallons.

So, do you know of a good source for:

* Healthy common (Hibuna) goldfish

* That are large

* That the seller would be willing to sex

* That I can get a bunch for not too much

Thanks and please let me know!  :D

Try Blackwater Creek.  Their fish aren't cheap, but they are the healthiest you will find anywhere.  They have never allowed a fish from elsewhere to come into their ponds since they started the farm.  If they take fish to a show, they don't bring them back home.   https://www.koisale.com/bio-security.html

If you want cheap, I recommend Petsmart feeders on  the day they come into the store.  These come from large domestic farms that produce goldfish by the millions.  You can't do that if you have disease or parasites on the farm.  Don't buy the larger fish.  These are imports.  Don't ever get feeders from a fish store.  These are culls that are the reason people say feeders aren't healthy.

If big is important, go to Craigslist.  People regularly give away or sell cheaply common goldfish that have outgrown their little tanks.

I recommend a 300 gallon stock tank for your aquaponics system.  

Acro, I was just thinking about you the other day! Know what I was thinking? “I wish Acro was still around and selling anubias attached to wood.”

I’m so sorry to hear about your goldies. I just lost one of mine I’d had for about seven years in a weird accident. I’m tearing up now just thinking about it. She was a petsmart “feeder” like mentioned above and GORGEOUS and super healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, shakaho said:

Try Blackwater Creek.  Their fish aren't cheap, but they are the healthiest you will find anywhere.  They have never allowed a fish from elsewhere to come into their ponds since they started the farm.  If they take fish to a show, they don't bring them back home.   https://www.koisale.com/bio-security.html

If you want cheap, I recommend Petsmart feeders on  the day they come into the store.  These come from large domestic farms that produce goldfish by the millions.  You can't do that if you have disease or parasites on the farm.  Don't buy the larger fish.  These are imports.  Don't ever get feeders from a fish store.  These are culls that are the reason people say feeders aren't healthy.

If big is important, go to Craigslist.  People regularly give away or sell cheaply common goldfish that have outgrown their little tanks.

I recommend a 300 gallon stock tank for your aquaponics system.  

Shakaho, 

Thanks for the reply and the source!  I've never heard of that place and I'm digging this deal: Giant Goldfish  They are out of them right now, but maybe when I get things setup, that could work.  I do often browse Craigslist and that is always an option.  I've also been reading your info on aquaponics, thank you for posting all that information!  It is such a fun and exciting topic!!!

3 hours ago, happysnapper said:

Acro, I was just thinking about you the other day! Know what I was thinking? “I wish Acro was still around and selling anubias attached to wood.” emoji7.png

I’m so sorry to hear about your goldies. I just lost one of mine I’d had for about seven years in a weird accident. I’m tearing up now just thinking about it. She was a petsmart “feeder” like mentioned above and GORGEOUS and super healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happysnapper,

I'm so glad you thought of me in that way!  That makes me happy!  You know I've always loved anubias.  I mostly stopped selling them because I got the dreaded rhizome rot disease.  Messed up my whole collection (including some pretty rare anubias too).  I've been thinking about growing some again, and I have contemplated a few ideas on how I'd incorporate an anubias section into an aquaponic system.  Maybe it will happen.  If it does, I'll give you one for free.  :D 

• Like 1

Hi! Welcome Back :D Good to see you again.

Sorry about your fish and I wish you luck in starting up a new system!

I was wondering where our Anubias person was :teehee 

Acro, why do you want large goldfish?  Most of us like to get them small and watch them grow.

18 hours ago, shakaho said:

Acro, why do you want large goldfish?  Most of us like to get them small and watch them grow.

I had the same thought :) 

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:40 AM, FishyMandy said:

Hi! Welcome Back :D Good to see you again.

Sorry about your fish and I wish you luck in starting up a new system!

Thanks!!!  I was never really gone . . . I just wasn't here as often, or posting as much.  But I always came around now and then to see what was up or make a tiny post here and there.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:56 PM, shakaho said:

7 hours ago, koko said:

I had the same thought :) 

Because I want big poops for the plants in my aquaponic system.  I need that fertilizer.  :D

• Like 1

Four 2-inch fantails grew bushels of lettuce for me.  Little goldfish grow fast, particularly if you overfeed them.  

Usually, one has a settling tank of some kind to remove solids from the fish water before it goes to the filter, grow bed, and back to the fish pond.  Plants use dissolved chemicals.

I was thinking of a system using worms.  They eat the poop that goes directly into the grow bed, which then turns the poop into dissolved chemicals . . . is that not correct?

49 minutes ago, Acro said:

Because I want big poops for the plants in my aquaponic system.  I need that fertilizer.  :D

:tomuch: 

11 hours ago, Acro said:

I was thinking of a system using worms.  They eat the poop that goes directly into the grow bed, which then turns the poop into dissolved chemicals . . . is that not correct?

Earthworms will eat dead plant material in the grow bed.  Then they poop very good soil fertilizer.  Some people swear by them.  I tried using them and saw no advantages.