SebastianTheCrab

How to keep the temperature the same during water changes?

6 posts in this topic

How important is it to keep the water that being added to the tank during a water change the same as the water temperature that is originally in the tank ?

How stressed will the fish be if the new water added to the tank during a water change is of a different temperature of the water originally in the tank?

How does one go about keeping doing a water change while attempting to keep the same temperature in the tank?

I have a twenty gallon tank.

Well for me. I dont have a heater in my tank so the temp is pretty much the same is house.

When I do a water change, I try to only do small ones if I know its very cold out since I just use my cold water out of my tap. In the summer when the water is alot warmer I can do the normal 50%- 60% water change.

Thats the beauty of not having a heat tank, you dont need to worry so much about the temp of the water.

For my tanks, tropical and goldfish, it depends on how much water I'm changing at a time.  50% water changes, I go by feel if I'm using something like a Python hose to refill the tank.  I adjust the temperatures as needed as the water flows into tank, I can feel for differences in temperatures.  A few degrees difference I wouldn't think would matter too much, the fish seem fine with it.  If I'm doing a 100% water change, I try to match it to within a degree or 2 F.  To help with that, I usually age water in a barrel with a heater if needed.  I just bought an infrared temperature gun to make it a little easier to take temperatures so I don't have to use my educated/uneducated guess at matching temperatures!

I pay no attention to temperature whatsoever with my fish.  If I move a fish to a pond/tank of a different temperature it might pout a bit, but rapidly readjusts.  Water changes cause no problems because I do 10% a day, which doesn't change the temperature enough for the fish to notice.

I do think it a good idea to gradually change the temperature of the water for a new fish that has already  suffered a lot of stress and doesn't need to add temperature stress to the list.

On April 14, 2018 at 7:25 PM, shakaho said:

I pay no attention to temperature whatsoever with my fish.  If I move a fish to a pond/tank of a different temperature it might pout a bit, but rapidly readjusts.  Water changes cause no problems because I do 10% a day, which doesn't change the temperature enough for the fish to notice.

Thats what my fish do too, Pout :rofl