Sign in to follow this  
LittleShadow

How should I line up my 55 gal? And another side question

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys!!  Sorry for the long hiatus!!  Hopefully in the near future I will have more time to be on here!  I hope everything is going well for you guys!

So, I was wondering, can a 55 (or maybe someday 75...please??) gallon aquarium be kept in any direction in the house you want it in?  Y'see, we just found out about our new house today :happydance and there's three places I can think of putting it, in the kitchen/dining area and/or  the same direction but in the living room, or another spot in the living room going lengthwise, instead of width wise, like the other two ideas (our house will be a ranch, so it's basically a rectangle).  I'd really like for it to be in the living/ dining, but the one lengthwise (which would put it over more joists iirc) idea is Exactly where my husband wants to put  his tv and the 5 point surround system he inherited.   The stand I have now is custom made, and the bottom also has ply-board going down the whole bottom of it to help distribute weight, but we were thinking of caving and getting a regular one with doors as well, since it's a pain in the butt to get the fluval out of there.  I haven't been down there to see which way the joists go (we still have to close), but I'm guessing generally width instead of length wise, so if I were to put it in the kitchen (my next fave spot), it would be on regular flooring.  What do you guys think?

Also, once we get into this new house, since we use an automatic feeder now (somehow my poor pearlies were having that mysterious bubble issue before our honeymoon, in spite of regular water changes and cleaning/ changing out half of my media every other week, and after a week on a feeder, I came back, and the bubble were Gone, so I've left it up with the exact same food.  I tried switching to gel food not too long ago, for only 4 days, and the bubbles came back on 1 and we couldn't get them to go away, and they were swimming upside down, so we had to euthanize.  Needless to say, not trying to feed them anything else unless it's a treat), my canopy lid is open all the time and it's annoying. 

I was debating for the new house, to get one of those ceiling hanging lights for the aquarium, and going without a canopy (it just grows algae and keeps the light from getting wet) and growing water lettuce or other floating plants that are larger and slightly less insane than duckweed, or just getting a clear canopy and having everything attached to the back, and using my led light after I get a replacement for the controller (which, other than the power cord, is the only other way to turn it off, or if it's safe to use the LED light (it's supported on the sides and sits a few inches above the water anyways) without a canopy.

What do y'all think?

Well the first thing I would do is see which way the floor boards are facing, and can they take the weight. I do believe @Arctic Mama and her hubby know all about this stuff.

:)

General rule of thumb on a wood floor is to put your tank perpendicular to the joists (over a main beam is even better) and against an exterior wall. That’s your safe zone in a home with no notable defects in terms of framing and construction.  It is no guarantee you won’t get creep and sagging over time, though.

Definitely go under there and check out the joists, take some pictures. I can give you a little more help if I can see wherever you’d like to put it from the underside :)

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 1

Thanks!  Unfortunately, we haven't closed just yet, and they asked for an extension of time before we move in to give the person they're buying their house from to move out, so they can move into their new house, and we can move into their old house,  to see how the stuff runs.  In the mean time, what about canopy/ no canopy/ hanging light/ other type of light/ floating plant ideas?  :goldfish: 

Oh, and the kitchen idea, although the tank would be going width wise, the one end could possibly butt up next to an exterior wall, if that counts for anything. :P  Or maybe it would fit at the exterior wall, but there's an electric panel back there and idk if that's high enough to not get blocked by the tank....

Edited by LittleShadow
adding a sentence
  • Like 1

On April 14, 2018 at 5:23 PM, LittleShadow said:

Thanks!  Unfortunately, we haven't closed just yet, and they asked for an extension of time before we move in to give the person they're buying their house from to move out, so they can move into their new house, and we can move into their old house,  to see how the stuff runs.  In the mean time, what about canopy/ no canopy/ hanging light/ other type of light/ floating plant ideas?  :goldfish: 

Oh, and the kitchen idea, although the tank would be going width wise, the one end could possibly butt up next to an exterior wall, if that counts for anything. :P  Or maybe it would fit at the exterior wall, but there's an electric panel back there and idk if that's high enough to not get blocked by the tank....

My tank is up against my Carport window/wall and its not insulated at all, I haven't had a problem with it at all. :) 

Like I said I need pictures to really be sure, it depends on the age of the house and the composition of the floor, as well as other heavy items in the vicinity.  But no hurry, since you’re still trying to finish the deal and all :)  Just tag or quote me when you get a chance to get some pictures so I’ll see the post.