fanta_naranja

Oranda not eating, not pooping, weak

62 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Gosh he is so hungry he is eating everything twice lol.

I do dip new plants but don't quarantine snails. I thought Prazi dealt with parasites pretty handily but I guess not the internal ones. Is there a way to make adding snails safe?

Edited by fanta_naranja
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Snails are tough.  Potassium permanganate *may* be safe, but it is still rough on gen.  Heat and quarantine plus meth blue isn’t a bad way to go either, but it still won’t deal with more stubborn cases.  I ditched snails for good in my goldfish tanks along time ago, so it’s not my area of expertise.  That might be a good question to post in the general forum though :)

Him being a hungry guy is fantastic news!

Edited by Arctic Mama

15 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

It's OK I don't have more snails to worry about since I incidentally killed them off  (I believe it was the medicated wonder shell). Is there anything I should treat my main tank with to kill off the suspected parasite? Maybe feed the healthy fish with epsom soaked food for good measure before reintroducing the Oranda?

Here's this morning's poo... x_x 

https://imgur.com/a/w0bnti7

how are we doing today? 

Full update: Completed 10 days of Spectrogram (His behavior/appetite were all better after 3-4 days. Highly recommend). Poops were still abnormal so I soaked his food in epsom solution for 5 days. He made a normal poop after his last meal so I reintroduced him to the main tank this morning...

He is getting bullied however. As Hungry as he was in the QT, he is too scared from the presence of the Comet to go for the same food in the Main Tank. I spread pellets all over the tank but the Comet systematically ate them all while periodically chasing the Oranda in circles. So the Oranda is already showing signs of stress again. At least he is eating some duckweed. If this continues I know he will get sick from stress again and the only solution I know of is a tank separator, unless ya'll have any other ideas

Maybe I should try removing the Comet for a day or two and reintroducing?

4 hours ago, fanta_naranja said:

Maybe I should try removing the Comet for a day or two and reintroducing?

Let the Oranda have the main tank and take the comet out, then like you said re introduce the comet. Is the comet a boy?

14 minutes ago, koko said:

Let the Oranda have the main tank and take the comet out, then like you said re introduce the comet. Is the comet a boy?

Not 100% sure to be honest.

On April 27, 2018 at 4:38 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Snails are tough.  Potassium permanganate *may* be safe, but it is still rough on gen.  Heat and quarantine plus meth blue isn’t a bad way to go either, but it still won’t deal with more stubborn cases.  I ditched snails for good in my goldfish tanks along time ago, so it’s not my area of expertise.  That might be a good question to post in the general forum though :)

Him being a hungry guy is fantastic news!

Any ideas AM ? 

I’m sorry! My family was in town all week and it’s been busy and very stressful, so I wasn’t online much.  I actually agree with taking the comet out for a bit and reintroducing him.  Rearrange any tank decor as well, to change up the territories.

On 5/4/2018 at 9:49 AM, Arctic Mama said:

So the bullying leveled off on its own after a day and things were back to the normal: the Comet bullies the Oranda during feeding but not enough to cause harm.

This weekend I finally got around to removing the Comet for a day. It required a proper sized fish net from Dick's and seemingly constant WC's of the QT. Basically nothing changed...

It seems like as long as the Oranda is in top shape things are OK. That's a challenge since he's way more sensitive to water quality than the poop-machine Comet he's housed with, and the Comet has to be fed enough to stay fat and happy or the bullying worsens. Eventually I plan to upgrade the filtration (this Eheim disappointingly doesn't actually move more than 95gph on a good day), and that may help. I intend to change weekly water changes to twice-weekly but gravel-vac half as much each time.

Anyhow, the Oranda's disease was cured thanks to Spectrogram, epsom-food-soak, and your great instructions and encouragement, so you all have my gratitude :D

Just consider him your litmus fish - the one who tells you right away when things in the tank are off because he acts funny first.  I had a nitrate goldfish, who would pout and bottom sit as soon as nitrates crossed about 10 ppm. He was just a sensitive little guy and I used him as a barometer for when I needed to do water changes ;)

I’m glad the bullying cleared up!  And here’s to no more issues with infections