Avepico

Should I crossbreed?

5 posts in this topic

Been gone a while, but I have my 90 up and running. I just got 2 watonai today and one of them (A nice calico with good fins and body) is a male. I also have a wonderful female shubunkin. I am wondering if it is worth attempting a crossbreed for longer split tails and even more straight body. Any thoughts? I will be updating pics soon.

Hi Avepico,  That sounds like an interesting project. I also did that kind of mix when seeking an all black fish .  Mixed black oranda with koi to get it. took eight years. so good luck. I shall follow your project with interest. Michael.

Posted (edited)

You can crossbreed, but don't expect to get the traits of both parents in the first generation.  Most, if not all, of the offspring will have single tails.  If you select the best of the female offspring and mate them with their father, you may get some you really like.  Also realize that the calico-calico mating will result in 1/4 mattes 1/2 calicos and 1/4 wild color.

What color is the other watonai?

Edited by shakaho

The other watonai is solid orange. The breeder is mostly getting full orange with calicos. The calicos are mostly orange, some white and red, and some dark black markings. I would love to add more white to the mix while keeping the body and fin types.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:23 PM, Avepico said:

The other watonai is solid orange. The breeder is mostly getting full orange with calicos. The calicos are mostly orange, some white and red, and some dark black markings. I would love to add more white to the mix while keeping the body and fin types.

How did it go?