Arctic Mama

I’m GUTTED!

22 posts in this topic

This isn’t really a disease thread, though you guys know I help on here. More commiseration and a cautionary tale that we should eventually move to horror stories.

My whole tank has been in quarantine to treat an unknown pathogen.  It appears to be a parasite (not costia, as far as I can tell, MJ :) ) that caused some secondary bacterial infections.

Everything was going great and my crew were on the mend after ten days.  I was fastidiously maintaining the quarantine and all seemed well until this morning.

Somehow my crew, whose quarantine sits in my kitchen, were poisoned.

Everyone was covered in slime and clamped.  All of them looked dead.  I quickly tested the water and began changing it out but found only the barest hint of ammonia.  My best guess is that yesterday when I went to grab baking soda it might have been barkeeper’s friend instead somehow, or one of my kids got some soap in there.  The only other guess is that I bought some new general cure and dosed it yesterday and maybe it was adulterated?

Whatever happened my tank looked toast.  I’m SO UPSET.  I just keep thinking if I’d ended their treatment early like I considered doing, they would all still be here.  I am leaning toward some household chemical poisoning because the water looked weirdly foamy.

so far I’ve lost the white fantail/ryukin I got from Myra, one of my remaining black moors, and my black ranchu.  Hanging on but looking on their last fins are my big orange ranchu, the white and orange oranda and orange oranda from Myra, and one remaining fantail.

Sigh.

More might die.  I sure hope not.  Lots of water changes in my future as I try to trouble shoot what happened.  They looked fine last night except for one showing some stress from the latest Paraguard dip, so this wasn’t a pathogen.  Doesn’t look like electocution from something like a damaged heater either.

Moral of of the story, I suppose, is that accidents happen even to experienced fishkeepers.  Sometimes utter disaster.  I still don’t know what exactly went down but I know how the symptoms read.  And my whole tank might be lost to this.  If you’re the praying type, please keep us in your thoughts as I wait for my guys who remain to bounce back.  

01B7E6F5-5140-48E8-886F-8E75CBE2F26B.jpeg

Oh the horror of it all. Im so truly sorry to see and hear this :( 

I sure hope they pull though. :)

Thank you Koko :grouphug

My last black moor just passed, but Momoko the ranchu, Naranja the black and orange oranda from Myra, and the white and orange oranda from her (my second is telling me she named him PomPom) are still hanging in there.

Naranja is the most lively and seems almost normal except for excess slime coat.  Momoko is breathing heavily on the bottom laying on his side but seems to be rallying.  PomPom I’m not sure - he is floating at the top but respiratory normally, and just clamped and lethargic.  But not the worst I’ve seen.

As a side disease helper note: when you suspect poisoning please change your water out continually - I like to run the siphon while refilling for at least the first water change.  It replaces the water a little more gradually and less stressfully for the animals while still expediently removing any toxins.  Also, scrubbing down the tank sides with a clean paper towel and rinsing all tank items thoroughly is recommended.  In this case they were in a quarantine so this was an easy process, but even in a main tank you want to be sure everything gets rinsed to the point that any residue will be removed, even possibly filters, depending on what the poison was.  Thorough repeated water changes and a few days empty running without fish might be enough for a main tank and avoid losing your filter media, but proceed with caution and when it doubt dilute dilute dilute.

I'm so sorry :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tithra said:

I'm so sorry :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

It happens.  I usually don’t post about my own disease stuff here but I realized awhile back that it can look like experienced fishkeepers don’t have issues.  One thing I love about Cynthia’s page on ECR’s site is that in her beginner guide she straight up contradicts that, indicating that ongoing problem solving and learning are hallmarks of an experienced fishkeeper.  It’s not perfection, but good husbandry practices and care in solving things when they DO come up.  

This was a total out of rhe blue accident. I’ve been wracking my brain and inquiring among the other household occupants as to what could have happened, but still no answer makes sense outside of some random chemical overdose or accidental wrong product use.  I’m human, it’s possible.  But either way accidents DO happen and whole tanks get wiped out from pathogens and parasites (like what happened with SolidGold :( ) and sometimes life just happens and goldfish need to go away for a season (which I know you totally understand).

But sharing those parts, good and bad, makes the community stronger.  Not a one of us is immune to tragedy with our pets, and it’s just part of the process.  It sucks, but it’s part of the deal.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry, Taryl. :(:(

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, happysnapper said:

I'm so sorry, Taryl. :(:(

I just wish wish I knew what happened but I’ve been running through it in my mind, examining supplies, and still can’t figure it out.  According to the family, nothing was sprayed or dropped on the quarantine last night, and unless I completely spaced something the treatments were the same as they always were.

I really don’t think I got some toxic batch of general cure, but that’s the only thing I added last night before bed.  And they were fine then.

I was gone all evening at our new places cleaning and such, maybe I had some residue in my hands I didn’t wash off?  But even tub cleaner shouldn’t nuke a whole tank in those quantities - some minor irritation at best.  

I’ll just have to be super fastidious from here on out.  I usually am, but if it wasn’t the family it was me.  So less autopilot and more focus on each step and measurement is called for.  That’s always a risk when you get too familiar with a procedure - you stop paying attention and double checking your habits and actions and sloppiness happens.

4 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

It happens.  I usually don’t post about my own disease stuff here but I realized awhile back that it can look like experienced fishkeepers don’t have issues.  One thing I love about Cynthia’s page on ECR’s site is that in her beginner guide she straight up contradicts that, indicating that ongoing problem solving and learning are hallmarks of an experienced fishkeeper.  It’s not perfection, but good husbandry practices and care in solving things when they DO come up.  

This was a total out of rhe blue accident. I’ve been wracking my brain and inquiring among the other household occupants as to what could have happened, but still no answer makes sense outside of some random chemical overdose or accidental wrong product use.  I’m human, it’s possible.  But either way accidents DO happen and whole tanks get wiped out from pathogens and parasites (like what happened with SolidGold :( ) and sometimes life just happens and goldfish need to go away for a season (which I know you totally understand).

But sharing those parts, good and bad, makes the community stronger.  Not a one of us is immune to tragedy with our pets, and it’s just part of the process.  It sucks, but it’s part of the deal.

Very good advice. I agree.

I have done some silly things that have killed my fish. I am no way perfect and Im always willing to learn and get right back on the horse again.

I almost fell off when I lost my Pharaoh years ago, but I just with a painful heart got back up again. Im glad I did or I wouldn't have met some really great ppl and friends :heart 

• Like 2

Aw no, how terrible :( So sorry

So sorry Taryl.  :hug

Oh my goodness that's terrible :sorry:: I Hope the rest of the goldies make it through and get better! Sending prayers for your fish's recovery. 

Horrid. I still feel like this was my fault. All my fish died too. It didn't happen like this though. Poor babies. Really sorry. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks ladies.  I put the remaining three back in the main tank since their treatment was essentially done and I honestly didn’t want to risk the mystery poisoning happening again.  Myra, your two fish are round fantastic, much better now.  But my one remaining fish, Momoko, is just laying there pitifully :(

He definitely looks chemically burned and the other two have a slightly milky appearance but it’s decreasing.  It’s odd how only some died and some were severely damaged but others weren’t, even in such a small tank. Maybe the dead ones tried to eat whatever it was that fell into the water?  I don’t know.  But my husband and I decided to give Momoko a few more days to recover and begin swimming before euthanizing him.  He looks AWFUL though :(

Edited by Arctic Mama

I am so sorry, its hard to watch them go through this, I hope he pulls through :pease:

My BEST to Momoko!!!! :hug

10 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

My BEST to Momoko!!!! :hug

Unfortunately he wasn’t breathing on the bottom just now.  He’d been labored breathing all day, but he’s gone.  I had him almost five years :(

529B9351-DD31-4559-858C-6F94B9491060.jpeg

Rest in peace, big guy.

Oh gawd, I am so sorry.  😱😩😭

I'm so sorry. Poor little man. I'm glad you still have two. Kanama (Naranja) has always been a tough man. He's much tougher than Malina (Pom Pom). I hope they pull through for you and leave you at least SOME fishy joy. I see the Oranda over him like that in the photo... It almost looks as if he's saying RIP as well... :(

Aw I'm so sorry :(

So sorry for the loses

Oh man. I sure hope the rest pull through for you :hug

IM so sorry for your loss Taryl. RIP Momoko.