mygoldfishmylife

Thoughts on using H2O2 for treatment?

7 posts in this topic

I read that it is a popular treatment for ulcers, minor wounds, fin rot, etc. Just a dab of h2o2 should do the trick. Has anyone tried it or knows if it's safe to use? 

That source has a lot of misinformation.  I wonder what chemical reaction they propose for salt removing oxygen from the water.  I'm sure hydrogen peroxide will kill algae, and your nitrifiers as well.  The rotting dead algae will remove oxygen from the water.

You can use hydrogen peroxide to swab a infected area once. Repeated use irritates the lesion.  You can follow up the peroxide with daily swabs with iodine, preferably betadine, which doesn't sting at all.

• Like 4

Yes, for topical swabs it’s a great idea.  But I would NOT circulate it in the system.  It’s a non-specific antiseptic agent and will nuke everything, including the things your system requires to function like beneficial nitrifying bacteria and algae, as Shakaho mentioned.  There are other treatments that would be safe for running through your system if you need to treat the entire thing for some reason.  But not peroxide, and not preventatively!

Hi goldfishmylife, 

I use H2O2 treatment with great results.  In call it The Hydrogen bomb!

This is for a part of a cleaning protocol  which I like as it is cheap , with easy to obtain products and is simple any quick.  Called the ten - ten treatment.

14 hours ago, mikroll said:

Hi goldfishmylife, 

I use H2O2 treatment with great results.  In call it The Hydrogen bomb!

This is for a part of a cleaning protocol  which I like as it is cheap , with easy to obtain products and is simple any quick.  Called the ten - ten treatment.

Curious as to what is a ten - ten treatment?  I use H202 outside the tank for disinfecting purposes ie. equipment, plants.

"Curious as to what is a ten - ten treatment?  I use H202 outside the tank for disinfecting purposes ie. equipment, plants. "

information sent PM