Fish Of Gold

White Bump and cloudy eye

23 posts in this topic

My youngest fish Cosmic has a big white bump behind his left eye and his left eye is slightly cloudy. He occasionally bottom sits a couple times a day for the last couple of days, but swims excitedly around if I walk into the room. 

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 In Tank
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 In Tank
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  5.0 In Tank
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0 Tap
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 Tap
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0 Tap
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0 In tank
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   7.8 Tap
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API Drops
      • * Water temperature?  70 F, No heater
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  40 Gallon Breeder, Running since February 2015
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua Clear 70 and an Aqueon 30
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Change 50% or more once a week. 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 Days ago about 60%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 Fantails, 2 inches, 1 5/8, and 1 1/8 the last time they were measured less that a year ago. 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each. A mix of Omega One Goldfish Pellets, Southern Delight Goldfish Pellets, Elive Goldfish Color Granuals, and Thera A+, All are sinking pellets fed once a day. On Weekends I feed either Blood Worms or Brine Shrimp instead of pellets, occasionally some Cucumber slices or cooked peas a few times a month. 
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? I added 2 goldfish after their quarantine last year. I bought them in August 2017 to add to Icicle's Tank to make 3 goldfish total.  I think that they were just treated with salt. Metro, and Prazi for the recommended amount of time for new fish quarantine.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  I think just Salt and Prazi in the past, including their original new fish quarantine and occasional Prazi prevention treatments yearly.  
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Big white bump on head behind his left eye. His left eye looks a bit cloudy.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Occasional bottom sitting since I noticed the bump 2 days ago, He isn't on the bottom every time I look in his tank though. He still swims eagerly when I enter the room like nothing is wrong. Eats very well still. 

Cocmic White Bump 1.JPG

Cosmic White Bump 2.JPG

Edited by Fish Of Gold

Some more pictures of Cosmic with his cloudy eye and white bump.

Cosmic White Bump 3.JPG

Cosmic White Bump 4.JPG

Cosmic White Bump 5.JPG

It could be an infection under the lens of his eye or a cataract, I’m inclined to think the former, given his age and that the film seems to be under the eye membrane and not inside the lens. 

Do both eyes look even in size?

When you scratch the bump does it feel hard or softer like a pimple?  Can it be scratched away?

What antibiotics do you have on hand?  I’m looking for metro and a gram negative, like kanamycin or oxytetracycline.  

Edited by Arctic Mama

Hope his eye gets better soon!!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

It could be an infection under the lens of his eye or a cataract, I’m inclined to think the former, given his age and that the film seems to be under the eye membrane and not inside the lens. 

Do both eyes look even in size?

When you scratch the bump does it feel hard or softer like a pimple?  Can it be scratched away?

What antibiotics do you have on hand?  I’m looking for metro and a gram negative, like kanamycin or oxytetracycline.  

Yes both eyes look the same size, other than the cloudy eye they look as usual.

I caught him in my hand and tried to scratch the bump with my fingernail gently but firmly several times, it doesn't come off. It feels kind of soft but firm. It looks like just a little bit of slime coat came off when I scratched at it.  

Meds That I have on hand are:  Oxytetracycline, KanaPlex, MetroPlex, and Furan-2  And I also have Aquarium Salt, Epsom Salt, and Colloidal Silver. 

Gotcha.  It’s probably a cyst and not some external fungus or open wound, then.

Quarantine tank with clean water, heat gently and slowly bumped up to 78-80, and then a two week course of metro and oxytetracycline in the water.  After the fourteen days are completed let’s see where we are.  

Since it wouldnt scratch or scrape scrape don’t bother with salt or any topical swabbing right now.  Whatever erupted seems to have come from an internal issue, so we will treat accordingly.

And be sure to add your antibiotics a good half hour after a water change - water conditioners can bind to the antibiotics and decrease their effectiveness.  I’ve had notable differences with at least furan 2 and metro in treating immediately after a water change versus a delay.  The time gap seems to shorten the overall time to efficacy by a few days.  Weird, but simple enough, right?

Keep me apprised of any changes in his condition :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Gotcha.  It’s probably a cyst and not some external fungus or open wound, then.

Quarantine tank with clean water, heat gently and slowly bumped up to 78-80, and then a two week course of metro and oxytetracycline in the water.  After the fourteen days are completed let’s see where we are.  

Since it wouldnt scratch or scrape scrape don’t bother with salt or any topical swabbing right now.  Whatever erupted seems to have come from an internal issue, so we will treat accordingly.

And be sure to add your antibiotics a good half hour after a water change - water conditioners can bind to the antibiotics and decrease their effectiveness.  I’ve had notable differences with at least furan 2 and metro in treating immediately after a water change versus a delay.  The time gap seems to shorten the overall time to efficacy by a few days.  Weird, but simple enough, right?

Keep me apprised of any changes in his condition :)

Thank you very much! I'll keep you posted ;) 

Hows his eye doing?

Yes!  Is it clearing at all?  Worse?

44 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yes!  Is it clearing at all?  Worse?

Sorry I've been sick the past few days and didn't get to walk across town to the storage unit to get the QT tank until today. I still need to set it up after I rest a bit, I'm still not feeling 100% yet and that walk wore me out. UGH! :( My fiance id doing water changes on all of the tanks right now, so I looked in on Comet. Comet's bump is way smaller now, but still has the hazy look around it. His eye still looks cloudy too. Did the bump burst perhaps? If it did, do I have to worry about the other 2 fish in the tank with him? Should I still QT him? I took a new picture of Comet today to show how much smaller that bump is now. It is more flat looking now and not sticking up like before. 

DSCN0442.JPG

Keep him quarantined until it’s gone away, I’d say. His body is probably fighting that infection from the inside and the swelling is reducing, like when a pimple or boil subsides on a human :) 

The eye might never improve, they’re tricky and delicate.  But if it isn’t getting worse that’s a big plus. 

How many more days of treatment do you have?

6 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Keep him quarantined until it’s gone away, I’d say. His body is probably fighting that infection from the inside and the swelling is reducing, like when a pimple or boil subsides on a human :) 

The eye might never improve, they’re tricky and delicate.  But if it isn’t getting worse that’s a big plus. 

How many more days of treatment do you have?

Comet is still in the main tank with the other fish. So like I said, I haven't gotten a chance to set up the QT tank yet today because I've been sick. He hasn't been treated at all yet. 

• Like 1

Huh!  He may overcome this all on his own then.  Since things look a bit better I might be tempted to just give it some time.  If he can recover with no medication that’s ideal!  

Edited by Arctic Mama

20 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Huh!  He may overcome this all on his own then.  Since things look a bit better I might be tempted to just give it some time.  If he can recover with no medication that’s ideal!  

Wow that would be great! But I did just put him in the QT tank a few minutes ago that I finally managed to get set up and running.  but I haven't added any meds yet because I'm waiting a 1/2 hour like you suggested. Should I just keep him in there without adding any meds and just watch and wait for a few days to see what happens then?  Yes that would be good if I didn't have to use meds if not really needed. I'll wait to see what you reply back before I add any meds to the QT tank ;) 

You know, just do some salt and give it a week.  If nothing looks worse or looks better, we won’t do any meds at all.  If he starts having other symptoms we will go with the plan as previously discussed okay?

9 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

You know, just do some salt and give it a week.  If nothing looks worse or looks better, we won’t do any meds at all.  If he starts having other symptoms we will go with the plan as previously discussed okay?

Alright, sounds good :) How much salt shall I add? Should I do water changes during the week too? If so how often and how much? 

I’d gradually get up to .3% salt over the next day.  And for a hospital tank I’d do no filter and daily water changes, but if you have a spare filter he may be okay with it and then you could decrease the frequency.  That’s your call, he isn’t sick enough I’d demand no filter :)

Salt instructions if you need a refresher :)

• Thanks 1

It's been about a week now and I don't see the bump at all anymore, but there is still a little faint area of white hazy stuff still there where the bump used to be but it is almost gone now. :D His (or her because I still cant tell LOL) eyes look a bit better too, just a tiny bit of cloudy look left in them. I've been changing the water every other day and replacing the salt accordingly. Temp is 78 with heater. I have a corner filter in the QT tank just filled with filter floss. Should I continue treatment with salt until all of the white hazy film patch on his body  is completely gone? 

On April 7, 2018 at 11:22 PM, Fish Of Gold said:

It's been about a week now and I don't see the bump at all anymore, but there is still a little faint area of white hazy stuff still there where the bump used to be but it is almost gone now. :D His (or her because I still cant tell LOL) eyes look a bit better too, just a tiny bit of cloudy look left in them. I've been changing the water every other day and replacing the salt accordingly. Temp is 78 with heater. I have a corner filter in the QT tank just filled with filter floss. Should I continue treatment with salt until all of the white hazy film patch on his body  is completely gone? 

How is he looking today. ? 

4 hours ago, koko said:

How is he looking today. ? 

He looks pretty good. He still has a tiny little faint white patch where the bump was, but it keeps getting more faint as the days go by. 

• Like 2

Well, I just put Comet back into the main tank today because all traces of the bump and discoloration are gone! Thanks for your help!! :) 

• Like 2