Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

old filters or just dirty?

11 posts in this topic

I have 2 filters for my 55 gal tank (2 goldfish) that I've had for about 5 years. I have an Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75 and Marineland Bio-Wheel Emperor Power Filter, Size 400.  I've noticed that the suction isnt very good and I have to siphon twice than I normally do, could the filters have gotten older? How long should they last should I replace them?

13 hours ago, mygoldfishmylife said:

I have 2 filters for my 55 gal tank (2 goldfish) that I've had for about 5 years. I have an Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75 and Marineland Bio-Wheel Emperor Power Filter, Size 400.  I've noticed that the suction isnt very good and I have to siphon twice than I normally do, could the filters have gotten older? How long should they last should I replace them?

I have had the Bio-Wheel ones before. I have noticed that the intake some times will fall off the intake tube it self causing less suction. 

The first thing I would try if you haven't done it, is to dump all the water out of both filters when you do a water change. This will help will the gunk. 

Make sure the intake is on there good and then the last thing is to clean out the motors where the Peller is :) 

I have had the Bio-Wheel ones before. I have noticed that the intake some times will fall off the intake tube it self causing less suction. 
The first thing I would try if you haven't done it, is to dump all the water out of both filters when you do a water change. This will help will the gunk. 
Make sure the intake is on there good and then the last thing is to clean out the motors where the Peller is  

Yesterday i cleaned out both filters and both impellers and I replaced a little bit of the filter pads bc they look very old, hoping that does something.... is there a way I can increase the suction from the filter I was watching yesterday as a chunk of waste was swimming past the intake and it didn’t even suck it up until it was very close. What do I do about this can I replace it and what do I replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, mygoldfishmylife said:

Yesterday i cleaned out both filters and both impellers and I replaced a little bit of the filter pads bc they look very old, hoping that does something.... is there a way I can increase the suction from the filter I was watching yesterday as a chunk of waste was swimming past the intake and it didn’t even suck it up until it was very close. What do I do about this can I replace it and what do I replace?

Do you have the one with the gray switch on the intake tube? If so did you make sure that its closed.? You could replace the filter but that might cost more than just getting a new filter.

do you have any bubbler or such in the tank?

How about a video or photos of the tank :) 

Do you have the one with the gray switch on the intake tube? If so did you make sure that its closed.? You could replace the filter but that might cost more than just getting a new filter.
do you have any bubbler or such in the tank?
How about a video or photos of the tank  

I don’t have a grey switch. Here are some pictures , I can’t figure out what to do about the suction it’s bad! 12abc13012b63b40873c55d6d0b4a2fb.jpg
Here is my tank with my filters and kids!

I 083927472572dd4f734e8387e0f76458.jpg61453ba547876fea727f4b872f35eea5.jpg this white thing took a while to be sucked in.
4ef56bf4e107376d29057a9a00692305.jpg here’s the other marine land filter idk if the suction reaches all the way to the bottom. 7da62c37b5cdfa33731d6f86d69a9860.jpg this is my bubble wand in the middle!

Well personally When I had a Marineland Bio-Wheel Emperor It never really sucked up the stuff as much as the Aquaclears have. It looks like since both filters don't reach all the way down some stuff is having a hard time getting sucked up. I just wonder if a powerhead with a sponge filter would be a good thing or maybe Aquaclear filter. :) 

Hmm, do you suggest I invest in an Aquaclear filter or undergravel filtration with my current filters?

Is it just the one filter that the flow has cut down or both?  I find that as my Aquaclear filters get older, the impeller gets worn and they start making more noise (humming/rattling) but flow is still good.  If cleaning the impeller and the motor doesn't help with flow, I'd check the cost of a new impeller compared to buying a new filter.  A lot of times the cost of a new filter isn't that much more than a new impeller and you know for sure that a new filter will likely gives you enough flow/suction.  I've never used your filters before, I'm more familiar with Aquaclears.  If you do decide to go with another filter, I'm very impressed with the Seachem Tidal hob filters.  Very quiet, large media capacity, built in surface skimmer, easier to service, it seems to cover a lot of the little bugs that other power filters have.  Price is the same or even lower than equivalent sized Aquaclears.

I don't think an underground filter would work as well in your tank.  They work better with smaller sized gravel and a deeper depth.  Not so good with mechanical filtration (debris) but better for biological.  I think you have plenty of bio filter capacity with your filters now, even though one (or both) might be slowing down.

• Like 1

On March 26, 2018 at 10:02 PM, mygoldfishmylife said:

Hmm, do you suggest I invest in an Aquaclear filter or undergravel filtration with my current filters?

Don't get an under gravel filtration those are not good with goldfish, they collect to much gunk under the plates. The sponge filter is a good one as it filters the tank and also push the water around :) 

Try aerating or agitatng the water more using an airstone.or like what they advice use a sponge filter