RobertTheOranda

Large oranda constipated, antibitoics and peas already adimistered for a week with no improvement. Next steps?

11 posts in this topic

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) ~10ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API test kit
      • * Water temperature? 66f
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gallon tank, over a year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
        • SunSun 403b
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 75%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days 100%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 total, medium orandas
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
    • Prime/safe
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
    • Hakari purple bag 1x daily and I give them seom of the AAP herbivore crumble sometimes.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? nope
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Already treated with
    • none right now
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
    • kanamycin and praziquantel, diflubenzuron, metronidazole, acriflavine. By directions over the previous week. Treatment has finished.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nope, fins near back look a little raised, but it could be nothing.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Floaty, sometimes end up upside down for a few seconds before rigthing himself

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About 2 weeks ago I noticed my Large orange oranda was a little floaty. I monitored it, fed some peas and gave it a week. A week passed and he looked more floaty. He still has plenty of control, but sometimes hes fin up head down, fully vertical and sometimes he does capsize for a few seconds.

I assumed it was a gut bacteria, so i started treatment with Kanamycin and the tetra Parasite Guard (praziquantel, diflubenzuron, metronidazole, acriflavine) and epsom stalt in a quarantine tank. Fasted for 3 days and fed peas. Waited 2 days and it looked like they had passed and he was lethargic so I fed a few pellets. The next day he was active again so i wrapped up treatment. Put him back in his normal tank.

He looks the same as he did before treatment. His belly is super firm and I really don't know what else to try. I fed another round of peas 2 days ago and his belly is still pretty firm. Should i continue feeding peas till it clears up? I havn't been able to catch them passing or anything passing for that matter.

You’re a bit overstocked but the tank chemistry looks fine.  Do you know your pH and water hardness?  Sometimes a pH crash or swinging between tank and tap can cause stress and sickness, including floatiness, so we would want to eliminate that as a possibility.

Pictures of him before and now would really help too.

You day you dosed kanamycin previously.  For only one week total, correct?

On 3/4/2018 at 6:00 PM, Arctic Mama said:

You’re a bit overstocked but the tank chemistry looks fine.  Do you know your pH and water hardness?  Sometimes a pH crash or swinging between tank and tap can cause stress and sickness, including floatiness, so we would want to eliminate that as a possibility.

Pictures of him before and now would really help too.

You day you dosed kanamycin previously.  For only one week total, correct?

They've grown out in this tank, probably time to split them up now lol. I've been keeping my eye on the levels come water changes and they look alright.

I can home today and he was a lot more floaty, went downstairs and he was upside down. Also has a wound on his side. I'm assuming he hit something during the struggle to upright himself.

Tank is a little dirty, but i havn't scrubbed it in 2-3 weeks, didn't want to stress the fish in the tank.

Its not really visible in the pic, but i can see that he looks rougher. Hes starting to dropsy. I fed peas again yesterday after another 2 day fast.

kFQUaIXl.jpg

qNR2XiJl.jpg

What is your pH and hardness?  The Kanamycin was for how long?

I can’t help you if I don’t have all the information, since those water issues will impact what treatment I’d recommend.  While some of the floatiness could just be his body shape - it is one that would be prone to constipating -   That’s obviously not all that’s going on.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

What is your pH and hardness?  The Kanamycin was for how long?

I can’t help you if I don’t have all the information, since those water issues will impact what treatment I’d recommend.  While some of the floatiness could just be his body shape - it is one that would be prone to constipating -   That’s obviously not all that’s going on.

Im sorry, i forgot the levels.

Ph is ~7.6-7.7

Hardness is 116ppm.

Edited by RobertTheOranda

Okay, good!  That makes treatment a bit easier.  And the pH doesn’t see big swings between the tap and a few days in the tank?

16 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Okay, good!  That makes treatment a bit easier.  And the pH doesn’t see big swings between the tap and a few days in the tank?

Nope its pretty constant, i can check again tonight since its water change night.

The Kanamycin was given as the directions said. 1 dose every other day for three doses. 

The floating is getting worse - none of the peas have passed. I was hoping it was just gut bacteria causing it but there has to be a blockage. Now im starting to worry about his comfort, as of this morning he was upside down again and only goes upright when he is spooked or excited. 

Stop the peas and just fast.  If you’re going to feed vegetable matter I suggest seaweed or duckweed, the latter being preferable.  It’s fantastjc for constipated fish.

The reason I asked about the Kana is that we often run longer rounds of it.  Two weeks has yielded better results in my experience.

Do you have any other symptoms?  Blanched color, red streaks? Tattered fins?  Pop eye or dropsy?

potentially we could treat with Oxytetracycline, but I’m not convinced this isn’t mechanical and therefore I’d rather not do medication unless other symptoms are presenting.  Fasting for four days while you obtain a water plant to feed exclusively, in a shallow quarantine, is what I’d try next.  When there floating like that a much shallower tank depth, like six inches, is less stressful.  

• Like 1

On 3/11/2018 at 6:03 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Stop the peas and just fast.  If you’re going to feed vegetable matter I suggest seaweed or duckweed, the latter being preferable.  It’s fantastjc for constipated fish.

The reason I asked about the Kana is that we often run longer rounds of it.  Two weeks has yielded better results in my experience.

Do you have any other symptoms?  Blanched color, red streaks? Tattered fins?  Pop eye or dropsy?

potentially we could treat with Oxytetracycline, but I’m not convinced this isn’t mechanical and therefore I’d rather not do medication unless other symptoms are presenting.  Fasting for four days while you obtain a water plant to feed exclusively, in a shallow quarantine, is what I’d try next.  When there floating like that a much shallower tank depth, like six inches, is less stressful.  

No other symptoms, he did have what looked like a abrasion on his stomach. It looked like it was caused by rubbing up on something repeatedly. This was as of 2 days ago. Monday night I almost put him down. He was just going top to bottom and then floating.

Tonight he seemed a lot better. The abrasion already looks healed - He was flying around the tank left to right and just seemed to not be suffering. I fed them very slightly (AAP herbivore) and will get some duckweed tomorrow.

On March 14, 2018 at 5:03 PM, RobertTheOranda said:

No other symptoms, he did have what looked like a abrasion on his stomach. It looked like it was caused by rubbing up on something repeatedly. This was as of 2 days ago. Monday night I almost put him down. He was just going top to bottom and then floating.

Tonight he seemed a lot better. The abrasion already looks healed - He was flying around the tank left to right and just seemed to not be suffering. I fed them very slightly (AAP herbivore) and will get some duckweed tomorrow.

I would try the duckweed first. That stuff is amazing with goldfish :) 

How are things going with your fish?  Were you able to obtain some duckweed and try a more shallow quarantine?