mcpesq817

SOS - power outage

11 posts in this topic

We had a bad windstorm in DC with lots of power lines down.  Could be days before I’m up and running again.  My power has been out for 14 hours now, and fish weren’t looking good so I’m doing a tank cleaning and water change.  Anything else I can do?  Anything I should do to maintain the filter’s bacteria colony?

Anyone have any recommendations for a battery pack type device that could temporarily run filter?

Thank you in advance!

2 hours ago, mcpesq817 said:

We had a bad windstorm in DC with lots of power lines down.  Could be days before I’m up and running again.  My power has been out for 14 hours now, and fish weren’t looking good so I’m doing a tank cleaning and water change.  Anything else I can do?  Anything I should do to maintain the filter’s bacteria colony?

Anyone have any recommendations for a battery pack type device that could temporarily run filter?

Thank you in advance!

When my power went out cause of fires (3 DAYS)  I just did 50% water changes everyday and took my filter media and put it in s bucket of tank water. This way the good bios are nice and wet. Then before I turned the filters back on, I dumped all the water out of the filters. This way no stagnate water was put back in the tank.

• Thanks 1

Thank you!  For some reason my water parameters at 14 hours of no power were 0.25-0.50 for both ammonia and nitrate.  I did a 70% WC and parameters were much closer to 0 for both.  I might try doing WCs every 12 hours to be safe.

Glad to know others have made it through long power outages.  We might be down 3-4 days.  Does anyone know if there are any battery backup systems on the market?  I imagine that something like this would be a death sentence for discus or marine tanks.

Posted (edited)

How big is your tank and how many fish do you have in it?  

Get a battery-powered aerator.  You can find these in the fishing section of Walmart, among other places.  They are used for keeping minnows alive. 

Take your medium from the filter, rinse off the crud, and put it in the tank.  Ideally, hang it up in some way and put the airstone underneath it so that you get a flow of water through the medium.  

This will be almost as efficient as your filter, although you should also increase your water changes.  

Do you have Seachem Prime water conditioner?  If you add the dose of Prime for your total tank volume every day, it will protect your fish from up to 1 ppm ammonia/nitrite.

It will also help to reduce your feeding by one half.  If you feel sorry for your fish, you can feed them leafy greens, which will give them something to nibble on without generating ammonia.

Edited by shakaho
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is all really great, thank you!  I have a 100g tank with 10 goldfish.  I have two big eheim canisters.  I disconnected the tubing for them this morning but will rinse the baskets out with tank water and try to get them in the tank itself.

I have plenty of Prime.  Good to know about the protection level.  

I didn’t feed them this morning - they didn’t look like they were feeling good so I bet it would have gone uneaten.  They perked up a lot after the WC.  Luckily I have hot water still so I can keep temps up around 70 with WCs.

Thank you both again!

Actually you would do better if the temperature of the water dropped gradually.  If it gets down to about 60F, the fish metabolism slows to the point that they don't want as much food.  Less food, less ammonia.

• Thanks 1

Thankfully my power came back on late this afternoon.  I went ahead and did another partial water change and cleaned out the filters.  I had cleaned them a couple of weeks ago so they only required a slight rinsing.  But, a few hours later they are all looking good.  

So thank you both again.  Lots of great tips there if this happens again.  Just glad I was home when it happened as things could have been very serious if I was out of town given how quickly things went downhill.  

• Like 1

Glad everything worked out for you!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man that’s scary we had a big storm Friday and Saturday lots of wind and trees taking out power lines one right up the street from me but I got lucky my power stayed on all around my town people are going with out power 

• Like 1

Yeah I got very lucky.  People on the other side of the block behind me are still out and ultimately will be out at least another day or two.

This was a prime example of why goldfish need filtration and aerated water.  In only 14 hours, nitrites and ammonia were up near 0.5.  I’ve seen the effects of nitrite elevation before when my filter must have burped.  Fish swim listlessly at a 45 degree angle nose up, and there is poop everywhere.  They recover quickly with a WC, but it’s a bit scary to see.

Glad it worked out for you! I hate power outages

• Thanks 1