Justintime

Ranchu’s face swollen

37 posts in this topic

So my water is fine been doing weekly 30% too 50% w/c haven’t added any chemicals or fish or anything for months and yesterday my Ranchu started showing signs that something was up a little white n puffy around one eye and now today it even bigger and whiter looks like a cold sore or fever blister my oranda’s wens grew much slower which makes me think this isn’t her wen but mabe bacteria anyone seen this before 

7E279EAC-C93C-4A27-BAC9-8268456A81B9.jpeg

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)20
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH ph7.8and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?api kit
      • * Water temperature?72
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?55 gallons 4 fancies 6 months 
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?marineland c220 sun sun hw-303b and aqua clear 70
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?30 to 50% a week 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?5
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?4 med
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?4 times a day fbw peas crumbles ect
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?acting normal 

Yea its not her wen, and it looks pretty bad to have just turned up on a day or two.

What type of medication and treatments do you have on hand? A course of antibiotics is probably going to be needed. Kanaplex would probably be my first choice, I don't think its a fungus - i think its caused by bacteria. Someone more experienced can correct me if im wrong. 

Do you have a hospital tank you can use? If not HomeDepot has a great under bed storage container that you can use. It holds ~10 gallons and is shallow yet has plenty of room. 

I would get the fish removed from the larger tank ASAP to prevent this from spreading to the others. 

Edited by RobertTheOranda

Yes I have penicillin Kordons methylene blue kymacyilin flakes melafix pimafix n I have an empty 10 gallon tank oh n super ick cure

Edited by Justintime

What is it how did it do that in two days I noticed it yesterday after work and I pay a lot of attention too these fish a lot so I know it happened fast

Will a soak in methelyne blue bath kill it

It looks like carp pox

37 minutes ago, Justintime said:

Yes I have penicillin Kordons methylene blue kymacyilin flakes melafix pimafix n I have an empty 10 gallon tank oh n super ick cure

Get the fish moved over to the 10g tank.

Melafix is probably the best option from this list and worth a shot. An antibiotic is a good idea, kanamycin is what id go for.

35 minutes ago, Justintime said:

What is it how did it do that in two days I noticed it yesterday after work and I pay a lot of attention too these fish a lot so I know it happened fast

Like I said in my first reply, its probably bacterial. 

31 minutes ago, Justintime said:

Will a soak in methelyne blue bath kill it

No

25 minutes ago, Justintime said:

It looks like carp pox

It does not.

I can run out n get something better but what pet smart has some api antibiotics

Edited by Justintime

4 minutes ago, Justintime said:

I can run out n get something better but what

I've made the suggestion twice now. Once in each post. Kanaplex or kanamycin.

2 hours ago, RobertTheOranda said:

I've made the suggestion twice now. Once in each post. Kanaplex or kanamycin.

You asked what I had on hand and said what was best from my medical cabinet so no need for the attitude I’m just alittle upset my favorite fish is deformed and I work very hard too keep up on them and keep their water and tank pristine 

Hope he feels better Justin.

• Like 1

Thanks she’s got me stressing out have her in qt away from her buddies n my fish room is at my parents cuz I don’t have enough room for all those tanks so I can’t even check on her till 5am

I put her by her self in a 20 gallon cycled bare bottom tank 

6 am just did 50% water change on peanut I’m trying melafix and salt first before I put anything harsh in there it looks the same as yesterday nothing new so I’m feeling alittle better about her but she’s stressed out empty tank and no other fish don’t think she’s real happy with her current situation 

I wouldn't worry about the bare tank, i keep most of my goldfish in bare tanks. I'd also remove the zip tie. We don't want Peanut getting poked in the eye. Goldfish eyes are super soft and pop easily. 

Other than that I hope the melafix works, 

So we are on her fourth day of treatment she’s in qt and I’m changing 50% of her water every morning before work and adding melafix and aquarium salt and it seems to be working it’s not gotten much better but it’s not growing and the red irritated parts went away 

Day 5 and she looks way better the swelling went away and all the red is gone

I don’t know if this is better or not it looks bad but not swollen like it’s dead and going to fall off has anyone ever seen this before she gets 50% daily water changes melafix n aquarium salt I have penicillin n em erythromycin so after her seventh day of melafix I am thinking of going to the em erythromycin if it doesn’t look better 

5951D58C-5A6F-496D-A41B-91AEA91902F9.jpeg

88E8F633-2CD9-4EE9-8751-2B6D522EC6FD.jpeg

I think its looking good, id keep up with the salt till the wound heals and the pus is gone.

• Like 1

I was thinking the same thing 

Posted (edited)

I’m so sorry none of us popped up on the topic to help, this is a busy time for a lot of boardies for some reason.  I would not have chosen kanamycin as a first line treatment for this; only if topical treatments didn’t help first.  Continuing with the salt is a good idea, but swabbing the area with methylene blue or hydrogen peroxide, whatever you have on hand, will help any surface infection if it begins looking red instead granular and white (which would be healing).

Since the redness has gone away and it seems to be healing it was likely an abscess or cyst under the wen. Those have been known to break up sections of wen tissue and cause some isolated necrosis, but it doesn’t usually spread unless there is an underlying water quality issue or ongoing stress to the fish like a parasite or other infection.  Melafix isn’t particularly useful compared to clean water, salt, and methylene blue, IMO. Some fish seem to respond badly to it, and daily water changes in a quarantine are going to do as much or more good with less expense ;)

Please keep the conditions are pristinely clean as possible and check back in with me on Thursday or Friday.  Message or quote me so I get a notification, please :)  We will change treatment as needed if it isn’t clear in another five days.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 1

Thank you n tomorrow is her last day on melafix then I was going too keep up on treatments minus the melafix for another week see what happens