twopurringcats

Reverse Osmosis /Distilled Water in Goldfish Tank

18 posts in this topic

I cannot use the well water we have her so I'm using RO /Distilled water in my aquariums supplemented with Seachem Equilibrium and Bio Spira Freshwater Bacteria in my 20 gallon aquarium. I have two fantail goldfish, who have grown fast since I got them three months ago (they re @3" -without measuring the tail- right now). I had no problem with the water clarity until I added CaribSea gravel and Flora Spore. I have some plants in the tank. The water has been milky white translucent ever since. My ammonia level is normal and I do 2-3 gallon water changes twice per week. My power filter has a new filter in it and I've got a double sponge filter as a secondary.

I plan to get a 55 gallon tank in a month or two, seeing how fast theyre growing and knowing goldfish need big tanks. How do I get the water to be clear until then? Its been two long weeks. The fish act normal, its just frustrating that I can't get the water clear. I will be getting a bigger power filter, and have tried using water clarifies. Any thoughts?363da458a457e1e53d87404a0f0ca7a4.jpg

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Welcome to Kokos and cute picture!!!

Welcome to Kokos and cute picture!!!
Hi,

• Like 1

I live in Florida and I use my well water. I used it when I had Goldfish and I use it now for Tropical fish. Why don't you use your's?

I live in Florida and I use my well water. I used it when I had Goldfish and I use it now for Tropical fish. Why don't you use your's?
My landlord dumps tons of salt into it to keep his pipes from rusting (he says).

Hi and welcome to the forum!! I hope this is not a daft question but did you clean the new gravel?  You could always try fluvial clear max in your power filter! it polishes the water so good it looks as clear as gin!!!!!! .:thumbup2:

Hi and welcome to the forum!! I hope this is not a daft question but did you clean the new gravel?  You could always try fluvial clear max in your power filter! it polishes the water so good it looks as clear as gin!!!!!! .2:
I do clean the new gravel , gently. It's fine particle so I have to be careful not to siphon it up. I'll try the ClearMax. Thanks for the tip!

I do clean the new gravel , gently. It's fine particle so I have to be careful not to siphon it up. I'll try the ClearMax. Thanks for the tip!

Also, I ordered a new power filter. A Marineland Penguin BioWheel, 350 gph. Hopefully it will do a better job. My other power filter is too weak.

24 minutes ago, twopurringcats said:

Lol!!...what I meant to say was ....did you clean the new gravel before putting it in the tank? I put any new gravel in a bucket and clean it under running water until it runs clear!!...this removes any dust! :-)

• Like 1

Lol!!...what I meant to say was ....did you clean the new gravel before putting it in the tank? I put any new gravel in a bucket and clean it under running water until it runs clear!!...this removes any dust! :-)
I probably should've cleaned it better, just poured water in the bag, swished it around and drained it out the bottom of the bag.
The water wasn't murky until later when I added the Flora Spore (injected into the gravel). My ten gallon has just a pinch of Flora Spore and the same gravel but is crystal clear. I contacted CaribSea and they are wondering if it might be clay particles in the Flora Spore.

3 hours ago, twopurringcats said:

Also, I ordered a new power filter. A Marineland Penguin BioWheel, 350 gph. Hopefully it will do a better job. My other power filter is too weak.

Hi. I LOVE these filter's!!! I use 2 of them om my 55 & 125 and they do an INCREDIBLE job on keeping the tank's clean!!! I don't use the cartridge's they give you. I use Fluval Bio Max and some blue sponge filter stuff.

Edited by DawnMichele
  • Like 2

Hi. I LOVE these filter's!!! I use 2 of them om my 55 & 125 and they do an INCREDIBLE job on keeping the tank's clean!!! I don't use the cartridge's they give you. I use Bio Max Ceramic Ring's and some blue sponge filter stuff.
That's a great idea..thanks! That's all you need to do, get the rings and foam? I will do that, too. :)

Just now, twopurringcats said:

That's a great idea..thanks! That's all you need to do, get the rings and foam? I will do that, too. :)

Your so welcome!!! That's all I use. I will send you a video of my 125 with 2 of those filter's. You can see what a GREAT job they do. 

• Like 1

Edited by DawnMichele
  • Like 2

I get the filter foam from Swiss Tropical's and it's the blue 1 Inch 10 PPI.

If you have any other question's about the filter's just ask and I will be more than happy to help you!!!!

• Like 1

I get the filter foam from Swiss Tropical's and it's the blue 1 Inch 10 PPI.
Beautiful! And the water is amazing. I will check out Swiss Tropicals. This helps a lot, thanks :)

If you have any other question's about the filter's just ask and I will be more than happy to help you!!!!
Thank you :) I will!