fanta_naranja

sitting still/rapid breathing

5 posts in this topic

I don't have time to give the full rundown now but I will followup later tonight. I have two goldfish a 2 yrs oranda and a 3yrs comet in a cycled 90 gallon tank with an eheim pro 4+ canister filter. a few days ago due to both an overfeeding incident and being lazy on WCs, we suffered a bad nitrite spike, like 5+pm. I noticed this when the oranda had swelling around his eye (popeye). The comet actually seemed fine. Well now through a series of WC, dosing plenty of prime, I've finally brought the parameters into line (<.5 ammonia, 0nitrite, <5nitrate). I have been adding salt to .1% to help. The popeye already looks much much better, almost gone. However, now the Oranda is inactive, just very rapidly breathing in the corner for hours. He has been eating through this ordeal. The comet is pinned and breathing very quickly as well.

Is that normal behavior while recovering from a nitrite spike and dealing with an internal infection? Or is there something else I need to do to help them recover?

Thanks everyone

Please fill out the D&D form and someone will be along to help you. Hope your Goldfish feel better.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
Edited by DawnMichele

4 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) <.5
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) <5
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) <.25
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH 8.2, can run the other tests if requested
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH 8.0, no chloramines here
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops
    • * Water temperature? 74
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 90 gallons, 6 months
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Eheim Pro 4+ 600
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? typically 40% every 7 days
4 hours ago, DawnMichele said:
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Don't know how to measure them but the comet is maybe 7 inches more excluding tail, and Oranda probably 4-5 or so.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime and a cap of stability every WC
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? New Life Spectrum goldfish sinking pellets and Hikari purple bag. Started using garlic guard since the incident.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? just salt
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. added salt since the incident (1 tbs/5g), they haven't been prazi'd since last year
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just the swelling around the one eye, which is almost gone now
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? The comet is pinned, breathing quickly, generally inactive. The Oranda is breathing like twice a second all day and night, hardly moving, though he did eat today.

It appears that the fish still suffer from the nitrite poisoning.  They need more oxygen than your set up provides because their gills have some damage.  This will sound strange, but I suggest you remove half of the water from the tank (you still have plenty of water for two fish).  The shallower the water, the more rapidly oxygen diffuses through it.  Then aerate a lot. 

You should add salt at 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons and maintain that concentration by adding 1 teaspoon of salt to each 10 gallons of new water you add when you change.  The salt protects the fish from nitrite poisoning, but may not help with the damage already done.  Since it appears that you have weak NOBs (nitrite oxidizing bacteria), you should maintain the protective salt in case you experience another nitrite spike.

Please check the color of the gills.   Do they appear bright pink or brownish?

Have you added Stability at every water change all along or did you start this after the nitrite spike?

• Like 1

Increased aeration as you suggested. Took out about a third of the water so the filter output is making a big splash, power heads are tilted up to ripple the surface, and the lids are open.

Keeping salt in the tank as you suggest is seeming like a good idea too.

Gills are dark red/brown in color. They didn't eat anything offered at their usual time but they're eating a little bit now. I've been using stability every WC for a while.

Edited by fanta_naranja