Sign in to follow this  
georgelee92

SBD Floater

9 posts in this topic

My oranda recently started to float upside down after each eating session. Been floating on and off for past week. I've been feeding him the same stuff for almost a year now, omega small sinking pellets without any issue until now. He's grown twice the size, but now he's starting to float? Not sure what to do. He's floating upside down after every meal. He recovery takes like 8-10 hours, before he can swim properly again. I know the standard procedure is fast 2-3 days, feed peas. Afterwards, though when I go back to feeding him the omega one stuff, he floats. I'm thinking of trying to soak the pellets first. How long do I soak them? I don't want the nutrients to leak into the soaking water.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * AmmoniaLevel(Tank)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • *Nitratelevel(Tank)20(before the water change)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.25
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? master kit
      • * Water temperature? 22C
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75g, one year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2x AC70, 1x306 fluval
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 75% each week
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? today, 75%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4, each about 2 inches in body, tail not included
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day, takes them about 5 minutes to eat it all up. I used to feed 2min, but the bigger ones started to bully due to lack of food.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. prazi,salt initially (i think i had a case of flukes at the start)
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nope
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? floating upside down
Edited by shakaho

When you can please find out your ph readings.

In the mean time I would find a shallow container (rubbermaid) 10 gallons longer the better. I would also look for some duckweed too. If you have a sponge filter that would be great if not a small filter would do. 

Doing this will give the fish a time to heal its digestive system and see if the swim bladder is damage. Goldfish don't do well in tall tanks, it take so much energy for them to go up and down and its not natural for them. So sometimes doing a shallow tank with some duckweed will fix this. Sometimes not. :( 

5 minutes of pellets twice a day means a lot of food!  Quite enough to cause obesity which can result in floatiness.   If you want to feed your fish twice a day,  make one feeding of greens only.  Duckweed makes an ideal food, but you can use lettuce, kale, or other leafy greens to keep your fish happy while reducing the calories.

For the patient, feeding duckweed only in a shallow tub like this or this makes swimming easier and  improves digestion.  

• Like 1

Hope he feels better!!!

ugh!!! I haven't had time to get alternative food. Soaked 10 pellets for 10 minutes and gave it to my oranda, he's been fasting for 2 days. Why is he floating? The foods already expanded in the water from soaking...  

Is feeding my goldfish green peas as a staple an option?

Edited by georgelee92

Please don't soak the food for 10 minutes.  That will leach all soluble nutrients from the food.  I have seen no evidence whatsoever that soaking food makes any difference in buoyancy.  If you insist on soaking food, put  just a drop of of water on the food.  I recommended reducing the amount of pellet food, not fasting,  and feeding leafy greens to clear the gut and make him less miserable about food reduction.

Koko gave you the best advice on treating floaty fish.  Put them in a shallow container (under bed storage box) and feed duckweed.  Some good containers: 

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00130129/  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-40-Qt-Premium-Underbed-Box-in-Clear-PC271606-001/204793104.

The fish finds it easier to stay upright in shallow water, and the floating food encourages the fish to keep trying to swim upright.  The duckweed clears the gut and provides nearly complete nutrition, while reducing calories.

He's back to normal swimming after a night of being upside down.

I knew it would leak nutrients, but the idea that pellets expands if not soaking them makes sense logically. But okay I trust ur experience.

For duckweed, I'll be getting it from the LFS. How do I make sure, none of the nasty parasites don't get transferred with the duckweed to my oranda, which would contaminate my main tank

Do I Prazi the duckweed?

How much do duckweed do I put in the bin?

Also, are you suggesting me to net the oranda out twice a day to feed it? 

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by georgelee92

On February 14, 2018 at 7:42 AM, georgelee92 said:

He's back to normal swimming after a night of being upside down.

I knew it would leak nutrients, but the idea that pellets expands if not soaking them makes sense logically. But okay I trust ur experience.

For duckweed, I'll be getting it from the LFS. How do I make sure, none of the nasty parasites don't get transferred with the duckweed to my oranda, which would contaminate my main tank

Do I Prazi the duckweed?

You don't have to, there really isn't any bug that will live in it besides snails. I do from time to time sprinkle General cure on the duckweed, but very lightly :)

How much do duckweed do I put in the bin?

When I feed mine I give them a plastic spoon full every day or twice a day. :) 

Also, are you suggesting me to net the oranda out twice a day to feed it? 

Thanks for the advice!

I wouldn't hand feed I would just try the duckweed first :)