Kokos Goldfish Forum
mcpesq817

Pirate - what kind of goldfish is he?

I picked up this guy as a tiny fish from Petsmart last year.  Kids call him "Pirate" because one of his eyes is black, as if he has a patch.  Even as a small fish he was a chunky monkey with small fins.  Any ideas on what type he is?  The wen and body shape suggest he's like an oranda perhaps, but his fins are much smaller.  Not that it matters in the end, but just curious.  

Thanks in advance!

IMG_5640.thumb.JPG.a3affe4253df329687e12a18f45b57f7.JPG

IMG_5639.thumb.JPG.5163064efdb9cc2aae03f4d34725f945.JPG

He's an oranda with nacreous scales (a mixture of metallic and matte scales).  He has mostly transparent (matte)  scales, but I can see some metallic scales that look like sequins.  

Orandas can have short or long fins and anything in between.

20 minutes ago, shakaho said:

He's an oranda with nacreous scales (a mixture of metallic and matte scales).  He has mostly transparent (matte)  scales, but I can see some metallic scales that look like sequins.  

Orandas can have short or long fins and anything in between.

:bingo: 

That is one chubby looking Oranda :teehee 

Oh cool, thank you Shakaho!  I haven't seen too many short-finned orandas like him before.  

Shannon, he certainly is!  I think his body is a bit compacted from head to tail fin (at least relative to my other orandas), which makes him look pretty chunky.  The day I saw him at Petsmart I got a chuckle at him, and still chuckle to this day as he is a happy go lucky chubby fish.

1 hour ago, mcpesq817 said:

Oh cool, thank you Shakaho!  I haven't seen too many short-finned orandas like him before.  

Shannon, he certainly is!  I think his body is a bit compacted from head to tail fin (at least relative to my other orandas), which makes him look pretty chunky.  The day I saw him at Petsmart I got a chuckle at him, and still chuckle to this day as he is a happy go lucky chubby fish.

I think I would have picked him out too if I had seen him. What a cute face :teehee 

He is adorable!!!!