dahling8

Treatment suggestions?

7 posts in this topic

I have an adorable ranchu that is swimming and eating normally but other than white floaty clear looking poop/membrane through the tank, I wouldn't think anything was wrong.  Just wondering if I should look at alternate or more effective meds to use or continue what worked temporarily (3 weeks) before?

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)  0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)   0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  5ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)  0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)  0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0 ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8 pH, KH 6dH, GH 5dH
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)    7pH, KH 0dH, GH 0dH
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API Master test kit using drops
      • * Water temperature?  75*F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?   40 gallon breeder, running for 4 months 
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?  AE Shop overhead trickle filter, powered with a 300 gph powerhead.  bio capacity is approx 4 litres?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Water changes  weekly, 100%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last water change was 4 days ago, 100% water change
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?  One ranchu about 3.5" SL 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?  I use Prime water conditioner each time, Replenish for GH to bring it up to 5 dGH, Baking soda to 6 dKH, a little bit of Koi Clay.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each.  
  • Repashy Solient Green, a mix of NLS Algaemax & Thera A+, Paradigm Herbivore, frozen bloodworms.  4 times a day, whatever she can finish within a minute
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No new fish 
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No meds in the tank right now.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  
  • Started using Pimafix over Christmas for a week
  • Switched to Seachem Paraguard at New Years for a week - some improvement
  • 2 teaspoons epsom salt for 2 weeks at the same time as Seachem Paraguard
  • Stated using API General Cure for a full treatment (4 days), started around January 10
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Fish looked a little bloated, scales were not raised though, the epsom salt seemed to have helped.  Fish looks normal now except for a few flecks of black dots on her wen, it's the black Tahitian Moon sand. :)
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Constantly foraging for food, behaviour is normal

I've had my red ranchu for over a year.  She lost a tank mate, another larger ranchu last August.  Dropsy.  I blame myself as I was recovering from surgery and I wasn't able to do my regular water changes.  They were both being grown out in a Rubbermaid stock tank.  I moved the red ranchu into her own 40 gallon tank in September and all was well until I started noticing whitish clear floaty membranes through the tank, tank bottom and around the filter intake in December.  I've never seen the membrane hanging from her bum.  It's a 50/50 mixture of normal looking poop and the whitish poop.  She wasn't too interested in the NLS pellets so I just fed Repashy.

I switched to Paraguard for a week, the whitish poop dropped quite a bit and I continued feeding Repashy only.  At that time she seemed a little bloated and dosed 2 teaspoons of epsom salt to her tank. 1/2 tsp per 10 gallons.  I continued that for 2 weeks and she seems fine now.

The whitish poop started to increase and I switched to General Cure and I had the greatest results with that, the treatment ended about 3 weeks ago.  I gradually started introducing her regular foods and she has been eating well and reacting normally.  The past week though I've been seeing more of the whitish clear poop/membrane again.  Right now I'm now sure if I should just monitor and let her system rest from the medications used over the past month with nothing but water changes and easy to digest food.  Or another round of General Cure or a different medication?

Thank you for a very thorough report.  

The symptoms you describe can result from internal flagellate infections.  You can treat this with oral epsom salt.  When you prepare your gel food, add epsom salt to the water to a concentration of 3%.  Feed as usual.  

What pH is your new water after you add the baking soda?  I ask because a 100% water change can be stressful if the pH of the old water and the new differ substantially.   Goldfish don't care much about GH, so I never worry about it.

• Like 2

Thanks Sharon, I've used a 3% epsom salt solution to treat a colony of cichlids where a few of them showed bloaty symptoms.  It worked really well.  This ranchu is isolated, would it be ok to feed the epsom salted gel food to all my goldfish?

The pH of the new water is 8 after adding the baking soda, 7 out of the tap.  pH of the old water and the new water is the same, the goldfish are removed from the tank and water mixed with a pump and the filter for at least half and hour before my goldfish are added to the tank.  Just because my GH is next to nothing out of the tank, I like the idea that there are minerals in the water to help grow out younger fish.

Once this ranchu is symptom free, how long would you suggest that I add new tank mates to her tank?  I have tank mates in QT right now.

I wouldn't treat healthy fish, but it probably wouldn't hurt them.  You can store the treated gel food in the freezer for use whenever you have a fish that appears to have digestive disorders.

You needn't follow my extreme practice,  but if I  remove a fish from a  pond for treatment, it doesn't go back until 3-6 months after all symptoms have gone away.

Very pleased to report that the ranchu appears to be doing well, it's been about 2 weeks since finishing the 3% epsom salt treatment.  I swear she is putting on weight and eating like there's no tomorrow.  It's much easier to dose when fish are greedy and hungry and super easy when it's premixed in their gel food.  Thanks for your guidance!

Glad he is doing better!!!

• Like 1

On February 27, 2018 at 9:05 PM, dahling8 said:

Very pleased to report that the ranchu appears to be doing well, it's been about 2 weeks since finishing the 3% epsom salt treatment.  I swear she is putting on weight and eating like there's no tomorrow.  It's much easier to dose when fish are greedy and hungry and super easy when it's premixed in their gel food.  Thanks for your guidance!

Good news :thumbs: