Kokos Goldfish Forum
koko

Open Chat :)

I've left them in the pond, will be a game of survivor lol. I just have no room left to set up a tank for them. But any that survive out there amongst the adults can stay lol

Finally were able to get some snailies. I had two orders never arrive, another cancelled, and another bait and switched. These aren't the type I wanted but oh well. Cories are goofballs BTW. The snails ARE kind of small and I am mildly concerned about Mary eating the smaller ones. Hopefully not. 

Taryl, I hope you ankle is healing & that you are getting the help you need with your kids & household!

MJ, I love your new cories! I rehomed my tropicals before moving last month, but was down to just one female peppered cory after some years. I feel the multiple tank thing - I only have the goldfish right now (in 1 tank), & they are plenty.

We moved from southern CA to southern MN last month, and so I've been insanely busy since September - selling our old home, buying the new one, as well as packing & doing all that other moving stuff (I still need to get the car registration & drivers' license stuff sorted, but to do the latter, I need to wait for my new birth certificate to come, as I hadn't seen mine since the 1980s, & had to send off for a new copy...). We used a commercial moving van for our stuff, and drove out in both cars - my husband took both kids, the cat, hamster, & terrarium with snails, and I took both dogs, both goldfish, & most of the luggage (although we also had roof bags strapped to both cars). We stopped overnights in Phoenix, AZ; Santa Rosa, NM; Wichita, KS and Des Moines, IA on the trip - Best Westerns are great, that's what 3 out of 4 of the motels were, & they had no problems with our menagerie. We had to buy a new glass tank after we got here, as it would have been really expensive to move the old one, & I found a 75 gal on a $1/gal sale only an hour's drive away. My dad mailed our filter media to us, as I couldn't have stuffed one more thing in either car.

15 hours ago, Shahbazin said:

Taryl, I hope you ankle is healing & that you are getting the help you need with your kids & household!

MJ, I love your new cories! I rehomed my tropicals before moving last month, but was down to just one female peppered cory after some years. I feel the multiple tank thing - I only have the goldfish right now (in 1 tank), & they are plenty.

We moved from southern CA to southern MN last month, and so I've been insanely busy since September - selling our old home, buying the new one, as well as packing & doing all that other moving stuff (I still need to get the car registration & drivers' license stuff sorted, but to do the latter, I need to wait for my new birth certificate to come, as I hadn't seen mine since the 1980s, & had to send off for a new copy...). We used a commercial moving van for our stuff, and drove out in both cars - my husband took both kids, the cat, hamster, & terrarium with snails, and I took both dogs, both goldfish, & most of the luggage (although we also had roof bags strapped to both cars). We stopped overnights in Phoenix, AZ; Santa Rosa, NM; Wichita, KS and Des Moines, IA on the trip - Best Westerns are great, that's what 3 out of 4 of the motels were, & they had no problems with our menagerie. We had to buy a new glass tank after we got here, as it would have been really expensive to move the old one, & I found a 75 gal on a $1/gal sale only an hour's drive away. My dad mailed our filter media to us, as I couldn't have stuffed one more thing in either car.

WOW that is one heck of a move. I remember mine from Ca to Oregon and all the stuff we had to do once we got here too. We only had one car and a moving truck as my car got burned down about 4 days before we where leaving :o

I sure hope you have a very Merry Xmas in your new home and a great new year :hug 

This is my new girl. She is 7 years old. She has nerve damage in her back legs but it doesn't cause her discomfort, just makes her walk funny. Her name is Bonnie

20181214_163255.jpg

20181214_163256.jpg

20181214_162559.jpg

20181214_161733.jpg

Aww she's cute. A calico. My male cat Oreo kinda walks funny as well... But he can jump and run and fly around like a normal cat so I know it doesn't hurt him. He's just got wonky legs. Bonnie reminds me of our old female cat Blue. Blue is only 8 lbs. Your glasses are mad cute though girl. 

She is a real sweetheart. Still adjusting but loves to have ear scratches and rubs. She has a really cute walk because of the nerve damage but jumps up on things and runs around and crawls under things with no issues

Soda, My Mirrorscale Comet died today, Not sure what happened. Went out the the pond after work and fed them and everyone seemed fine...Went out again a few hours later and he was floating and barely breathing, Bought him inside but he passed away only a few minutes later.

Im really sorry to hear that he didn't make it. Hopefully the rest of the pond is doing fine and its just a once off.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yea, everyone else seems fine and water parameters check out so guessing it was just one of those things 

Sorry about the fishy. He was very pretty. 

My mud pond is full of leaves again... But there are VERY few leaves on the trees now so I am going to drain it again soon and clean it and hopefully it won't get so bad. The net truly doesn't fit because the area around it isn't flat. Need a new one. Have not seen any fishy babies aside from the 3 I spotted the other day. I wonder how many are left. 

I moved the Cories today. They had a few days left of QT but I went ahead and moved the wee mites. The Barbies bothered them a bit and then Mary kinda seemed interested in them but things are settled now and I think they fit in just fine. Hopefully they don't die.

I put a few snails in a few days ago. Mary badgered them relentlessly and admittedly I haven't seen any of them. She was striking them very meanly. She may have stressed them to death. They were too big to swallow but it seems like:

Snails + Mary the Blood Parrot = Mary Blood Parrot 

I've been studying planted tanks again recently. I really want to try again on a smaller scale... So that's what I am vamping the 10 gallon near my window for. Probably going to fail again, but this time at least it's on a small scale so I don't waste so much time money and effort failing. I added some dirt and a cap this time to try out. Different strategy. We shall see. 

Careful with window tanks, they very much prone to algae. Do you know what plants you want to try out? While I'm no plant expert, I can offer some guidance for good plants to get and try!

(Some inspo, my 65g tropical community)
4e7586d0f84bd0a7b21a40d84cbd2278.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I can't do driftwood at all. My pH is funky from the tap and I find that it messes with it and makes it janky and unstable. For starters, I ordered Val and Bacopa. I had minor success with Vals before... But a fish named Slate messed with them and then they died. I also have bamboo and pothos, though I was told that those compete with the aquatic plants... We shall see. I really want Water Wisteria or Water Sprite as well. That tank is nice... The plants are kind of a centerpiece. 

@Shahbazin that’s such a mooove!  Work related?  I’m glad you arrived safely, how do your girls like it?

Ankle is healing, just slooow.  One month down, two more to go before I can weight bear.

My two youngest sons had their fourth and second birthday celebration today (they’re only a day apart on the calendar) and that was fun!  We’re getting some nice family pictures done at 11:00 today too, which I’m also looking forward to.  Well, and trying to not eat my weight in cookies!  That’s been an ongoing battle this Christmas 😱

11 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

@Shahbazin that’s such a mooove!  Work related?  I’m glad you arrived safely, how do your girls like it?

Ankle is healing, just slooow.  One month down, two more to go before I can weight bear.

My two youngest sons had their fourth and second birthday celebration today (they’re only a day apart on the calendar) and that was fun!  We’re getting some nice family pictures done at 11:00 today too, which I’m also looking forward to.  Well, and trying to not eat my weight in cookies!  That’s been an ongoing battle this Christmas 😱

That's good about the ankle. I've broken bones before too (including a foot) and it always sucks bad. I hate family pictures but I hope yours turn out well. 

Do you have any fish left? You and I had gotten the absolute BLUES fishy wise earlier this year. Was terrible. I still have the 4 Ryukins and 2 Comets I got last year. And I just got a little disabled baby to help with my new little planted tank for a few months. 

I still have Sherlock and Watson left, two Thai oranda from the fish shower earlier in the year.  I’m not getting any more stock until they pass just in case what has been afflicting my tanks is viral.  I’ll nuke the system when they’re gone and start again, but they’re hanging in there pretty well.  Enjoying the whole 110 gallons alone 🤣

Here's the little messpot... She's a sweet heart. 

So yeah... The water quality in this tank is TERRIBLE. This is AFTER I did TWO 100% water changes yesterday and another 50% water change this morning. I noticed the water was getting foggy so I knew something was off. Last night it tested over 4 ppm of ammonia, 2+ ppm nitrite, and 80+ ppm of nitrate.

They said soil can leach ammonia into the water for a while. This tank has been running for over a year and it WAS cycled. The roots on the terrestrial plants are getting huge very quickly. The cycle has completely crashed and needs to catch back up. 

I'm just going to let it run. There are no fish in here. It isn't safe for any fish. Tuna was in there and even after multiple huge changes, water quality hasn't improved so I removed her and put her in a quarantine tub outside for now. I had no idea water quality was that bad until I saw it getting foggy because she was acting totally fine. 

IMG_20181223_134356.jpg

IMG_20181223_135130.jpg

Wow! That's crazy readings. Good luck with it!

I've been drawing again. Planning to do a series of them and get them made into stickers :D the moor hasnt been post processed yet

20181223_212719.jpg

FB_IMG_1545555370905.jpg

@FishyMandy your Moor looks like Zac. Your so talented. :)

Every time I try and draw one it looks like they belong into a kids book :rofl 

Lol thanks koko

Those are so cute. The smile on the Moor has me dead... Cutest thing ever. 

Here's some others.

I've ordered a small sticker of each one, so hopefully they turn out ok :)

I'm planning on continuing the series with a shubie and a pearlie anyway, but if they turn out well I will go back and do recolours of the ones I've done as well so there is more variety

moorstickersmall.png

orandasmall.png

ryukinsmall.png

More cute pics. Sundays test and then today's test. Ammonia has come way down but nitrites and nitrates have shot way up. I'm just going to leave the tank alone and see how it comes along by itself. The cycle got its little butt kicked but it's trying to come around. 

IMG_20181223_134356.jpg

IMG_20181226_104056.jpg