Kokos Goldfish Forum
koko

Open Chat :)

3 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

Oh I love the emerald cories.

I have a mixture of different cories but when i can upgrade my tropical tank ill get more of each type

Yeah I knew you were supposed to get more than 3 but I was drawn to the Emerald ones and they only had 3 and that's what I got. You have Emerald ones too? They're so cute. 

I bought an emerald last time I got some new ones but he died during the QT Phase

Atm I have 2 Albino, 2 Peppered,1 Bronze and 1 Black.

So when I can upgrade I'll add more of each type (Wont need to buy more peppereds as I have 20+ Babies lol) I've read that the Albino/Peppered/Bronze  group together and they seem too, although the peppereds like each other most. But then depending on what size tank I end up with I'd like to get some more emeralds.

I hope none of mine die. I looked up care and whatnot videos on YouTube and I only saw like 1 or 2 videos with Emeralds. I wonder why. To me they're the best ones. I found them at Petco (chain store) and so I can't imagine that they are rare. I like albinos quite a lot too. I see tons of those. I think they said Emeralds get a wee bit bigger than the Albinos. 

The guy at Petco actually kinda gave me a hard time about them. He told me that they "can't live" in really tiny tanks. Because I was giving him two bettas, I think he was concerned that I was going to put the Cories in a little 3 gallon Betta tank. He also said to never use a net with them because their little whisker barbels can easily get caught in it and break etc.

I told him that I would quarantine them in a cycled 10 gallon for a month and then they were destined for a 55 gallon with a lone Blood Parrot and 6 Tiger Barbs. He perked up quickly and proceeded to bag them up and tell me how to acclimate. It was nice to see someone care for once. I actually initially only saw 2 of them but he spotted another and asked me if I wanted that one too. So I got 3 of them. We looked to make sure there wasn't one we missed, but there wasn't. 

I love goldfish and I can't see myself ever not having them, but I am really beginning to love tropicals as well. If my tropical tank continues to do well, I will be super happy. I can only manage one tank but I might upgrade if I am able to in a few years. The tank doesn't get dirty quickly at all. It's nothing like goldfish. I won't ever attempt a goldfish tank again, I can't keep up with it. Goldfish for me will always be outside now. 

Edited by mjfromga

Oh my gosh!!! Feel better Taryl!! :bighug:heart  

I cannot believe I will have been a member on here for 6 years this upcoming February :krazy:

How has everyone been?

I love cories. The emeralds are bigger than the cories. I've only ever seen them once around here and thats when I got mine. he died really suddenly, didn't have any symptoms, just found him dead in the QT.  I'd actually like to turn my 80g into a tropical tank but I need to stop buying goldies to do that lol

So perhaps they are a bit uncommon. Or maybe they aren't hardy and they die a lot which is why you rarely see them and like never see an adult? I definitely didn't see many videos of them when I went looking. I was looking for some adult ones to see the sizes... I could not find anything. Hopefully mine don't die and I get to see them grow up. They were $4 a piece... which is typical.

I also saw some ADORABLE little red crayfish. I wanted one sooooo badly but they were babies and VERY tiny. They were also $12. I REALLY want one. I read that they can live with peaceful fish. My main concern would be Mary eating it. I don't want to buy Mary a $12 snack... 

They are a lot more than $4 here :rofl  But everything is more expensive here.

Yes fish prices there astound me. Tiny fairly common fish here are usually about $4. These cute little tiny fantails are $4 as well. The single tails are considered less valuable. They're like $2.30. The Tiger Barbs were like $2.50 a piece and Mary the Blood Parrot was $7.

But we don't have a fish store so what can't be obtained in mass stores has to be found via the very elusive breeder or importer... or ordered online, which gets extremely expensive due to shipping fees added. 

IMG_20181120_153803.jpg

I did not realize how good we have it here then.  Sure, lots of mom & pop fish stores have closed down, we're down to a handful all within about 30-45 minutes driving distance away.  My LFS is pretty good, 10 min away, I can look at her fish list and order away.  Most are coming from overseas breeders for regular and tiny tropical fish for nano tanks, selection is pretty good. 

But at least you were able to get a few emeralds - they're already doing the cory dance for you!  They would prefer to school with their own kind, but they are very tolerant of any other cory.  They wouldn't necessarily school and shoal with them, but they wouldn't swim away from them either.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:41 PM, Arctic Mama said:

Well I know I haven’t been on much, as we are still living in boxes and I’m having a heck of a time juggling the therapy schedules and homeschool and online activity.  But this takes the cake:

13B5BEB6-1382-4C41-84BC-CAF204E8E3FD.jpegC99B5ADC-4ABD-4547-91B5-719DFDCB27A7.jpeg

Aftwr a few days of visiting in-laws, an ice storm that knocked out our power for two days, and then spending all night Saturday cooking two turkeys for a church potluck, I was carrying said turkeys, all carved up and warm in my roasting oven, down the church stairs.  My left foot was on about the third stair from the bottom but my shoe tread somehow slipped and I went down hard, snap crackle pop crunch, and horrible shooting pain.  Miraculously I didn’t spill any of the turkey, but I broke both bones in my ankle and damaged the ligaments and have been in the hospital since Sunday morning.  You can’t see it in that particular picture but the fibula is in a few pieces at the bottom and I broke the *back* of my tibia, sheared it right off as it jammed down over the bones of my foot.  Apparently that’s a way more unusual break than the side of the tibia, who knew?

I had surgery earlier today to add plates, screws, and fit the various bone pieces back together.  I might be released as early as Tuesday night or possibly stay another day, and then I’m seriously considering heading to a surgical rehab center for a few more days to rest and get help before going home to the kids.  It’s going to be three months, minimum, of zero weight bearing or torsion.  They want me using a walker or possibly a knee scooter, but how I’m going to do that and care for the kids (including the disabled toddler, who cannot crawl or stand or walk) I honestly don’t know.  Our church is stepping up in an amazing way to help and my husband has taken off work until next Monday, but after that is when my need for help will really step up.

As if life wasn’t crazy enough, right?  But I didn’t hit my head or break my back, this happened during a fairly good time at hubby’s work, and it was just an ankle, albeit a bad ankle break. We also had our deductible AND out of pocket max filled for the year because of the toddler’s medical needs, so all of the ambulance rides and inpatient and surgery have been fully covered.   That’s a huge blessing.   Prayers and good thoughts would be appreciated, as I’m having a hard time finding the right pain management that doesn’t make me too nauseous or not work.

For now, it’s safe to say I’m doing a whole lot of sitting and lying around this holiday season!

DUDE some how I did not see this :yikes

Oh man Im very sorry to hear this. I wish I lived closer I would be more than happy to help you out :)  Im glad you only broke that and not your head or neck too :(

This is crazy and all you really needed too :( 

:hug to you and your family. Let me know if there is something I could help you with :) 

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

I cannot believe I will have been a member on here for 6 years this upcoming February :krazy:

How has everyone been?

:teehee

Im doing good Justine is in Kinder :) 

16 hours ago, FishyMandy said:

I love cories. The emeralds are bigger than the cories. I've only ever seen them once around here and thats when I got mine. he died really suddenly, didn't have any symptoms, just found him dead in the QT.  I'd actually like to turn my 80g into a tropical tank but I need to stop buying goldies to do that lol

I love cories too. Them and Dojo's :) 

Lol they're so cute... Here's a better look at them. They aren't really shy or anything either. 

59 minutes ago, koko said:

DUDE some how I did not see this :yikes

Oh man Im very sorry to hear this. I wish I lived closer I would be more than happy to help you out :)  Im glad you only broke that and not your head or neck too :(

This is crazy and all you really needed too :( 

:hug to you and your family. Let me know if there is something I could help you with :) 

Thanks sweetie :)  it’s been going okay here at home, everything is hard to get done and I’m sitting so much my butt is sore, but we have had a lot of love and help and overall I think it’s gone pretty smoothly, even now that my husband has gone back to work.  

Our temperatures are all over the place. I have not been outside to check the mud for several days. I have no idea what's still left back there. I covered it up. It will be cold and windy and so I figured it would help for the next few days. On the warm day, I am actually going to drain it and see what's left and also attempt to clean it really well. 

Screenshot_2018-11-27-19-05-05.png

8 hours ago, koko said:

:teehee

Im doing good Justine is in Kinder :) 

I love cories too. Them and Dojo's :) 

How’s she doing?? I remember when I was in kindergarten once and we had show and tell. Someone brought their hamster in the ball and it was rolling around pooping all over the floor :rofl3 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

How’s she doing?? I remember when I was in kindergarten once and we had show and tell. Someone brought their hamster in the ball and it was rolling around pooping all over the floor :rofl3 

She's doing much better now that she has a helper that stays with her during the loud times. She cant deal with loud noises at all. She used to have a big issue when other kids cry but she seems to be growing out of that. I have to say she's improving by leaps and bounds. For a while there she would only cry at things and not tell you what was wrong or bothering her. Im so happy now I can just talk to her with out her having a melt down :( 

That would be funny as heck :rofl 

@shakaho Happy Birthday. I hope you have a great day :) 

On 11/27/2018 at 4:07 PM, mjfromga said:

Our temperatures are all over the place. I have not been outside to check the mud for several days. I have no idea what's still left back there. I covered it up. It will be cold and windy and so I figured it would help for the next few days. On the warm day, I am actually going to drain it and see what's left and also attempt to clean it really well. 

Screenshot_2018-11-27-19-05-05.png

I have that weather too  but with Rain rain rain :rofl 

There's rain today as well. I got lazy and didn't bother to separate the newbies for long. All the fish came from the same place within a month's time. It was so cold that I wasn't pressed to go outside and change water on a little QT. Admittedly I have not been feeling up to all the extra tank care... That's why I got rid of my Bettas. So I technically added all 7 newbies to the mud, threw on a cover for the cold nights, and told them to figure it out. 

I can't be sure what is left... But I did see Sasha the Sarassa and a few dark shadows under there. Sasha is the leader, which makes me think it's actually a boy. My pond leaders have always been boys. I'm going to check on them tomorrow and we shall see. 

Going to clean out the leaves that got in, scrape it out a bit more, and put whoever is left back in. I wasn't sure anybody was left, but there are at least a few still left that I spotted yesterday so that's good. Only the strong will survive the winter and make it to spring where I will be able to fix things up for them. I do not think they are all still there admittedly. A few were quite tiny and didn't seem super strong. We shall see. 

Edited by mjfromga

18 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

There's rain today as well. I got lazy and didn't bother to separate the newbies for long. All the fish came from the same place within a month's time. It was so cold that I wasn't pressed to go outside and change water on a little QT. Admittedly I have not been feeling up to all the extra tank care... That's why I got rid of my Bettas. So I technically added all 7 newbies to the mud, threw on a cover for the cold nights, and told them to figure it out. 

I can't be sure what is left... But I did see Sasha the Sarassa and a few dark shadows under there. Sasha is the leader, which makes me think it's actually a boy. My pond leaders have always been boys. I'm going to check on them tomorrow and we shall see. 

Going to clean out the leaves that got in, scrape it out a bit more, and put whoever is left back in. I wasn't sure anybody was left, but there are at least a few still left that I spotted yesterday so that's good. Only the strong will survive the winter and make it to spring where I will be able to fix things up for them. I do not think they are all still there admittedly. A few were quite tiny and didn't seem super strong. We shall see. 

Wow this shall be interesting to see what happens and who makes it. I feel ya on tank care. I only have one and sometimes with all the stuff going on I feel they get left behind sometimes, but I do keep up with the water changes. :) 

I am vigilant with Mary's tank but every other tank got neglected a little. My dad eyed my mud pond. He spoke of raising WILD CAUGHT fish in it. He said he's going fishing tomorrow since it will be warm. Needless to say, this is a HUGE no no. Any wild caught fish will of course instantly eat the little goldfish and the mud pond is MY project. I had to talk him out of this immediately. Luckily it worked and he abandoned the idea. 

7 is a large enough number for control... Usually not all of the control number makes it. Only a few do if you are lucky. Usually the smaller and weaker ones won't pull through. The regular goldfish was TINY but then so was Shrimp in last years tests but she powered through just fine and is now a pretty girl so you never know. 

On 12/1/2018 at 12:39 PM, koko said:

Wow this shall be interesting to see what happens and who makes it. I feel ya on tank care. I only have one and sometimes with all the stuff going on I feel they get left behind sometimes, but I do keep up with the water changes. :) 

Sasha (Sarassa Comet), Common (Hibuna), Booshka (larger blue based calico fantail with orange mark on face), Orita (smaller blue based calico fantail), Rangli (standard shubunkin), Kosmos (orange and black calico fantail), and Elizabeth (London shubunkin)...

It took ages with the huge mess, but it turns out that ALL 7 of the fish are still alive and doing just fine. Cleaned out it super well and all were returned. Elizabeth seems more sensitive and weaker than the others but she is still alive as well and is hanging in there. 

I am extremely happy to see that every single one is still alive and seems okay. A surprise actually. A very nice one. 

Lots of action going in my pond

47119766_10156214469138019_9097568892816982016_n.jpg

47176385_10156214469078019_4713825559111532544_n.jpg

47240894_10156214469338019_102088520767635456_n.jpg

Congrats on the babies!

I recently had my albino koi guppies breed, but I didn't have anywhere to put the little ones and left them in the main tank... sillh things didn't hide, so I'm pretty sure they are all gone!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk