Hey Koko and Dawn! :heart

How you guys doing?

I've been so busy lately, at least it feels like I have. So exhausted :o

I feel you :) 

It turned to 90F all of a sudden, then its supposed to rain tomorrow :lol 

Oh the weather has been crazy here too! Keeps going from hot to freezing 

43 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

Oh the weather has been crazy here too! Keeps going from hot to freezing 

Because of my weather doing this the goldfish made a HUGE mess of my tank. Eggs Eggs every where :tomuch: 

LOL  I haven't had any eggs recently. I think Picasso was the biggest egg layer in the pond. :( But is good, I don't need anymore eggs. I still need to bring myself to rehome some of the last lot of babies

Ya we went from cold to breaking a record at 29C today. I am a dog groomer and my phone was ringing all day for dogs to get stripped down...lol I groom out of a corner of the barn and it is so cool in there.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

Ya we went from cold to breaking a record at 29C today. I am a dog groomer and my phone was ringing all day for dogs to get stripped down...lol I groom out of a corner of the barn and it is so cool in there.

That’s quite a temperature swing!  Being a dog groomer is an interesting career choice.  How did you end up picking it over other fields?

That’s quite a temperature swing!  Being a dog groomer is an interesting career choice.  How did you end up picking it over other fields?
Haha kind of a long story. I have three university degrees. 2 BA's and a Masters ( and english/psych degree and 2 social work degrees) I was a child abuse investigator for about 10 years. I was very good at it and I had a good temperament for it. But after 10 years even the toughest of the tough need to cry "uncle". The government was downsizing the public service offering buyouts so I took one.

At the same time i grew up in a dog show household. My mum showed Rough Collies and Great Danes while is was growing up. In my 20s I got a Standard Poodle. Gell in love with the breed and have bred breeding and showing them for about 35 years. After I took the buy out it was just an organic transition into grooming. I mean...if you can make a poodle look as ridiculous as a show poodle you can groom just about anything...lol.

I'm also a certified pet oral hygienist. I do anesthesia free teeth cleaning for dogs and cats. I have been doing that for about 6 years. I also have a small company that makes natural remedies for mostly skin ear and digestion problems in dogs. I would really like to get certified as an herbalist but I'm a bit busy with all of this stuff I do. And I just sold my farm last year where I had a boarding facility for up to 20 horses and a full riding school. I did that for 15 years and my horses are now involved in a carriage company at Sun Peaks Ski Resort just outside of Kamloops BC Canada and I go up there twice a year to do sleigh rides in the winter and trail rides in the summer.

Well...I got a bit carried away there...lol But that's me in a nutshell really. I love having animals in my life and even though I am reaching retirement age I doubt I will slow down any time soon.

What a fascinating story!  I have a cousin who is a social worker, like hospice the burnout factor is real.  It’s emotionally draining work.

I LOVE POODLES!  That’s the breed we had settled on when we finally get a dog.  They’re such great animals.  But I hear you on the grooming front :lol:

Pet oral hygienist?  Unsedated?  Is that extremely difficult to manage or can most animals handle it with the soothing approach and responsiveness to their cues?  My cats were always murder for dental *anything*.

I LOVE POODLES!  That’s the breed we had settled on when we finally get a dog.  They’re such great animals.  But I hear you on the grooming front

Pet oral hygienist?  Unsedated?  Is that extremely difficult to manage or can most animals handle it with the soothing approach and responsiveness to their cues?  My cats were always murder for dental *anything*.

Haha some are more cooperative than others. For the little dogs we swaddle them like a baby. And we use calming techniques and breathing to get them to relax. I get them all done. I use hand scalers and Pietzo scalers. And polishers. Some try to bite me...but I never take it personally...they are just trying to tell me they don't like it...lol. they very rarely actually bite me. I have been actually bitten maybe 3 times in 10 years? Although I got bit by a little bugger a couple of weeks ago. He actually got me twice in the same session. My hat is off to him. I'm pretty good and he got me twice...lol. cats we use a thing called a "cat grooming bag". It is a mesh bag we use to bathe cats. It velcros around their necks and is effective in removeing their main weapons of mass destruction from the equation. Cats are less likely to try and bite without the aid of their claws so they don't bite as often. They are a bit harder to calm down though. I don't do very many cats but I think people generally do less to their cats than to their dogs.

So ya...it can be a bit hair raising at times... but I really enjoy working with the dogs and it is so much safer than having them put under anesthetic. And old dogs and dogs with some medical conditions can't go under anesthetic so it is useful there too. Don't believe what the vets tell you about us...they just hate the money we take out of their pockets...lol I have a few veterinarians where I live who actually refer patients to me on the QT. But most are still pretty hostile. There is no need to put your dog under for teeth cleaning. A trained anesthesia free hygienist does the same thing for waaaaayyyy less money regardless of the vet propaganda...lol

I LOVE POODLES!  That’s the breed we had settled on when we finally get a dog.  They’re such great animals.  But I hear you on the grooming front

Let me know when you are ready for a St Poodle. I know most of the best breeders and can help you go in the right direction! They are wonderful.dogs... Although my ex racing greyhound is pretty special and has introduced me to a wonderful breed.... I think I will always have one... (i have fostered 26 of them and kept one....lol)

1 minute ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

Let me know when you are ready for a St Poodle. I know most of the best breeders and can help you go in the right direction! They are wonderful.dogs... Although my ex racing greyhound is pretty special and has introduced me to a wonderful breed.... I think I will always have one... (i have fostered 26 of them and kept one....lol)

I’ll remember that WRT the poodles.  And you’re not the first person I’ve heard recommend retired greyhounds.  They’re apparently awesome couch potato companion dogs, who would have thought? I would have pictured them higher energy.

7 minutes ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

Haha some are more cooperative than others. For the little dogs we swaddle them like a baby. And we use calming techniques and breathing to get them to relax. I get them all done. I use hand scalers and Pietzo scalers. And polishers. Some try to bite me...but I never take it personally...they are just trying to tell me they don't like it...lol. they very rarely actually bite me. I have been actually bitten maybe 3 times in 10 years? Although I got bit by a little bugger a couple of weeks ago. He actually got me twice in the same session. My hat is off to him. I'm pretty good and he got me twice...lol. cats we use a thing called a "cat grooming bag". It is a mesh bag we use to bathe cats. It velcros around their necks and is effective in removeing their main weapons of mass destruction from the equation. Cats are less likely to try and bite without the aid of their claws so they don't bite as often. They are a bit harder to calm down though. I don't do very many cats but I think people generally do less to their cats than to their dogs.

So ya...it can be a bit hair raising at times... but I really enjoy working with the dogs and it is so much safer than having them put under anesthetic. And old dogs and dogs with some medical conditions can't go under anesthetic so it is useful there too. Don't believe what the vets tell you about us...they just hate the money we take out of their pockets...lol I have a few veterinarians where I live who actually refer patients to me on the QT. But most are still pretty hostile. There is no need to put your dog under for teeth cleaning. A trained anesthesia free hygienist does the same thing for waaaaayyyy less money regardless of the vet propaganda...lol

I’m somehow not surprised most people don’t bother with cats.  The swaddling or the dogs makes total sense - I used to do that with my guinea pigs when I had to trim their nails (which always stunk, I was super paranoid about hitting the quick).

I agree it’s a lot safer not to sedate animals (or humans!) more than necessary.  It’s definitely not without risks, and those increase when they get more fragile.  Hats off to you, what an inrgeresting set of careers you’ve had!

1 hour ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

Neat story.  An ex-coworker of mine got her ex-racing greyhounds in the US and I think she still may take her dog to various pet food stores around Vancouver to promote the society.

My LFS owner had her own grooming salon, but had to quit due to neck/back issues - hazards of the occupation.  So she owns and operates a floral/fish store now. She has a small group of toy poodles she flew in from California and recommended getting a poodle for our family dog.  I picked him up from a breeder in Victoria, BC.  I still like Shelties, but the poodle (moyen) turned out to be the right breed for our family.

My prior groomer breeds standard poodles but had to retire from grooming too, neck and back issues.  Yikes!  My current groomer has back related issues so she had to cut down on the number of dogs she was able to groom.  Very tough occupation...

Edited by dahling8

Neat story.  An ex-coworker of mine got her ex-racing greyhounds in the US and I think she still may take her dog to various pet food stores around Vancouver to promote the society.
My LFS owner had her own grooming salon, but had to quit due to neck/back issues - hazards of the occupation.  So she owns and operates a floral/fish store now. She has a small group of toy poodles she flew in from California and recommended getting a poodle for our family dog.  I picked him up from a breeder in Victoria, BC.  I still like Shelties, but the poodle (moyen) turned out to be the right breed for our family.
My prior groomer breeds standard poodles but had to retire from grooming too, neck and back issues.  Yikes!  My current groomer has back related issues so she had to cut down on the number of dogs she was able to groom.  Very tough occupation...
If you got your Moyen from Kathi Karkanis I was her mentor for years. I live in Sidney...just outside of Victoria.

1 hour ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

If you got your Moyen from Kathi Karkanis I was her mentor for years. I live in Sidney...just outside of Victoria.

Tiny world, we did get our poodle from Kathi, Kalonece Poodles.  I believe it was Kathi's first litter of Moyen's, it may have been her last.  We purchased him on a breeder's contract but I believe Kathi had her hands full with her standards and never "borrowed" him. 

Tiny world, we did get our poodle from Kathi, Kalonece Poodles.  I believe it was Kathi's first litter of Moyen's, it may have been her last.  We purchased him on a breeder's contract but I believe Kathi had her hands full with her standards and never "borrowed" him. 
Haha crazy! Is he still intact?

No, he's been neutered.  It was a late neutering which I heard is better for the dog.  It's been a few years now, but I think he was required to be neutered anyways under the terms of the contract.

23 minutes ago, dahling8 said:

No, he's been neutered.  It was a late neutering which I heard is better for the dog.  It's been a few years now, but I think he was required to be neutered anyways under the terms of the contract.

Oh yes the later the better.  I groom one from that litter.  His  name is Leo.  I absolutley love him.

8 hours ago, vimandvigrrrpet said:

Oh yes the later the better.  I groom one from that litter.  His  name is Leo.  I absolutley love him.

That was a rather larger litter than what Kathi was used to?  IIRC, 7 red girls, 2 red boys and 1 black boy.  I think it was someone in California on a poodle forum that recommended Kathi to me.  It was either Kathi or a red spoo pup from Lumiere, but thought that a moyen was the ideal size for us.

What colour is Leo?  Our "Cody" is red, the red has faded some, so closer to apricot.  Wonderful temperment, loves people to bits.  He volunteered at our local hospital for a few years when our daughter was student nursing.  Our groomer wasn't too big of a fan of poodles until she started grooming Cody - her exposure to poodles were several dogs from a F.V. breeder.  I won't mention the breeder but you'll likely know.  High strung and edgy.

Who likes to travel?  After seeing this video, I might have to pull out my passport more.  :thumbup2:

Amazing display of Anubias for sale @ 15:30

That was a rather larger litter than what Kathi was used to?  IIRC, 7 red girls, 2 red boys and 1 black boy.  I think it was someone in California on a poodle forum that recommended Kathi to me.  It was either Kathi or a red spoo pup from Lumiere, but thought that a moyen was the ideal size for us.
What colour is Leo?  Our "Cody" is red, the red has faded some, so closer to apricot.  Wonderful temperment, loves people to bits.  He volunteered at our local hospital for a few years when our daughter was student nursing.  Our groomer wasn't too big of a fan of poodles until she started grooming Cody - her exposure to poodles were several dogs from a F.V. breeder.  I won't mention the breeder but you'll likely know.  High strung and edgy.
Leo is a wonderful dog. He belongs to a 92 year old woman who lives nearby. He is an apricot but a deep apricot just verging on red. I have a deal with his owner that if anything happens to her that she will leave him to me. Trust me...there are not many client dogs I would actually adopt...but I would take Leo in a heartbeat. I give him a really cool trim. I leave a bunch of hair going down his neck. We call it a stallion neck. He looks so awesome when he is just done.

And most breeders talk a good story about breeding for good temperaments but rarely make the hard decisions that entails so I am not surprised to see breeders producing sketchy puppies. It's one of the reasons I don't show anymore.