koko

Open Chat :)

1,277 posts in this topic

She seems able to eat so hopefully just a case of not been fed properly. 

Because yes I bought her home lol

Oh I already knew you bought her lol. She is in good hands. Hopefully she will grow and end up super pretty. It's impossible to tell her size from here. About how big is she? That color doesn't look finished at all so I suspect she's quite young. 

I'm really bad at estimating size but I'd say probably around 3 inches SL

I'll probably keep her in QT for quite a while past the 4 weeks minimum I normally do, just until I'm satisfied she has put on enough weight.

I was calling her Ninja to start with but that has since changed to Maggie

• Like 1

Gotcha. So fairly small but not teensy tiny. I can't wait to see her once she puts on some weight and grows a bit. Her color is really pretty and I am sure she will look great. 

Well I know I haven’t been on much, as we are still living in boxes and I’m having a heck of a time juggling the therapy schedules and homeschool and online activity.  But this takes the cake:

13B5BEB6-1382-4C41-84BC-CAF204E8E3FD.jpegC99B5ADC-4ABD-4547-91B5-719DFDCB27A7.jpeg

Aftwr a few days of visiting in-laws, an ice storm that knocked out our power for two days, and then spending all night Saturday cooking two turkeys for a church potluck, I was carrying said turkeys, all carved up and warm in my roasting oven, down the church stairs.  My left foot was on about the third stair from the bottom but my shoe tread somehow slipped and I went down hard, snap crackle pop crunch, and horrible shooting pain.  Miraculously I didn’t spill any of the turkey, but I broke both bones in my ankle and damaged the ligaments and have been in the hospital since Sunday morning.  You can’t see it in that particular picture but the fibula is in a few pieces at the bottom and I broke the *back* of my tibia, sheared it right off as it jammed down over the bones of my foot.  Apparently that’s a way more unusual break than the side of the tibia, who knew?

I had surgery earlier today to add plates, screws, and fit the various bone pieces back together.  I might be released as early as Tuesday night or possibly stay another day, and then I’m seriously considering heading to a surgical rehab center for a few more days to rest and get help before going home to the kids.  It’s going to be three months, minimum, of zero weight bearing or torsion.  They want me using a walker or possibly a knee scooter, but how I’m going to do that and care for the kids (including the disabled toddler, who cannot crawl or stand or walk) I honestly don’t know.  Our church is stepping up in an amazing way to help and my husband has taken off work until next Monday, but after that is when my need for help will really step up.

As if life wasn’t crazy enough, right?  But I didn’t hit my head or break my back, this happened during a fairly good time at hubby’s work, and it was just an ankle, albeit a bad ankle break. We also had our deductible AND out of pocket max filled for the year because of the toddler’s medical needs, so all of the ambulance rides and inpatient and surgery have been fully covered.   That’s a huge blessing.   Prayers and good thoughts would be appreciated, as I’m having a hard time finding the right pain management that doesn’t make me too nauseous or not work.

For now, it’s safe to say I’m doing a whole lot of sitting and lying around this holiday season!

Ouch! So Sorry Taryl

• Like 1

Oh wow. That sucks super bad. I have had a broken foot before (not that bad) and it did suck to limp around for what seemed like ages. Can't believe a fall with a Turkey caused such a massive amount of damage. Usually you need a crush or like a landing from somewhere high to break so many bones. I'm so sorry. I am glad you have help, the worst thing ever would be to fall like that and have nobody to help during recovery. 

• Like 1

So sorry to hear, especially this time of the season.  Prayers and well wishes sent!

• Like 1

I went to Walmart to fetch pecans for a dish for Thanksgiving... And though I couldn't get the white fish I saw last time (I knew it)... I saw two cute babies. I KNOW I shouldn't have gotten them but I couldn't resist. 

The fantail... Omg he's so cute... And I saw a pretty but very skinny little London Shubunkin. I rarely see them and figured to take her. I do like her and I want single tails for the outdoor experiment. I see a TINY outtie vent so I suspect female. 

I have to makeshift a QT for them for a while. I only have one 200 watt heater which won't make the water WARM but they should be fine. Definitely not buying anymore. I am not overstocked and want to keep it that way. 

IMG_20181120_154345.jpg

IMG_20181120_153803.jpg

IMG_20181120_154352.jpg

IMG_20181120_154404.jpg

IMG_20181120_153830.jpg

• Haha 1

They are beautiful.  I love the shubie

• Like 1

New additions! Congrats, they look very pretty!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks. Very tiny as usual, about 4-5 grams... But they are the last ones destined for the mud test. I have a proper number now and we shall see how it goes. 

• Like 1

They’re so cuuuute! I love me some calicos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

They’re so cuuuute! I love me some calicos.

Calicos are my favorites and lately there have been so many cute ones at the local Walmart. I miss all my calicos. I wish I could take them ALL. I hope at least a few of these make it to spring and I can raise them. 

I decided to do something different and name these BOTH girls. I suspect the Shubie is a girl. Her name is Elizabeth. I figure she's a London type and so that name makes sense. And the little fantail is Orita. 

Some more pictures of Maggie, i think she is already starting to look a tiny bit plumper

received_369931013580479.jpeg

received_297923494264896.jpeg

• Like 2

She's definitely got a wonky mouth structure. But she is a pretty girly. Hopefully she can get nice and strong. It will be fun to see her grow. I have two Shubunkins about her size (maybe smaller) but it's winter here almost so they have to make it to spring to see them grow. 

Yea, definitely something wonky there. Thankfully she eats well and it doesn't seem to be affecting her for now. Hopefully it will stay that way.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 11:56 PM, mjfromga said:

Calicos are my favorites and lately there have been so many cute ones at the local Walmart. I miss all my calicos. I wish I could take them ALL. I hope at least a few of these make it to spring and I can raise them. 

I decided to do something different and name these BOTH girls. I suspect the Shubie is a girl. Her name is Elizabeth. I figure she's a London type and so that name makes sense. And the little fantail is Orita. 

You got the fish bug :rofl Thats why I stay away from the fish stores :lol 

On 11/22/2018 at 10:54 PM, FishyMandy said:

Yea, definitely something wonky there. Thankfully she eats well and it doesn't seem to be affecting her for now. Hopefully it will stay that way.

I like her a lot she's got character :thumbs: 

I got a beautiful pair of calico fantails from Walmart a year and a half ago and put them and a couple of home-grown orange youngsters in my indoor aquaponics  system.  I think they are least great and maybe great-great grandparents now.  I try to avoid checking out the fish at Walmart, since I certainly don't need more.

• Haha 1

I'm not going to get anymore now. I also am handing in both the Bettas I have left tomorrow. I don't want to care for tanks much anymore and all the heaters needed waste energy as well. It's hit and miss with Walmart fish, but they're mostly healthy. 

17 hours ago, shakaho said:

I got a beautiful pair of calico fantails from Walmart a year and a half ago and put them and a couple of home-grown orange youngsters in my indoor aquaponics  system.  I think they are least great and maybe great-great grandparents now.  I try to avoid checking out the fish at Walmart, since I certainly don't need more.

Im lucky my Walmart doesn't sell fish at all. I have to drive across town for a fish store :) 

Good afternoon all!  I’m home finally and getting settled into trying to figure out one legged/mostly immobile living (it sucks).  I hope everyone is staying warm this week - it’s a cold one here!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, koko said:

Im lucky my Walmart doesn't sell fish at all. I have to drive across town for a fish store :) 

One of the Walmarts near me closed it's fish section entirely. Only one Walmart sells fish here now. I went in today and saw a lovely pom pom... which I avoided buying. I went to Petco to surrender the two Bettas I had left and I saw Cories, which I have wanted for a while. I know you're supposed to buy like 6 of them, but the store literally only had 3 left. I bought all 3 of them. They're cute as can be. I drained a Betta tank and in they went for quarantine. 

They had some other types but I wasn't sure if you should mix different types. They only had 3 of these left. They had some brown and albino ones and like another spotted kind, but these were my favorites. I think these are the Emerald ones. Super cute. 

• Like 1

Oh I love the emerald cories.

I have a mixture of different cories but when i can upgrade my tropical tank ill get more of each type

• Like 1