koko

Open Chat :)

1,279 posts in this topic

20gallonlong.asian.thumb.jpg.eed75ceae467878627d2316480c2a75f.jpg20gallonlong.asian.right.thumb.jpg.5f41a90335647adf1a06c86340499782.jpg20gallonlong_left.thumb.jpg.cf73dbd546df989d6544962f09bb8279.jpg

• Like 3

Looks good! What is the larger plant in the back right side?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

African Bolbitis or "Bolbitis Heudelotti", it's similar to java fern, anubias where it grows from a rhizome and attaches itself to rocks, etc.  Other plants are anubias nana "petite" and flame moss on manzanita wood pieces.  Banana plant thrown in because I didn't have room anywhere else. lol

I like Rachel O'Leary's set of youtube videos when researching smaller nano tank sized fish.  Here is hers on the sparkling gouramis:

• Like 1

African Bolbitis or "Bolbitis Heudelotti", it's similar to java fern, anubias where it grows from a rhizome and attaches itself to rocks, etc.  Other plants are anubias nana "petite" and flame moss on manzanita wood pieces.  Banana plant thrown in because I didn't have room anywhere else. lol
I like Rachel O'Leary's set of youtube videos when researching smaller nano tank sized fish.  Here is hers on the sparkling gouramis:

Nice, interesting little fish. Also interesting that they make noise.

I've also considered setting up an additional Nano tank in my bedroom on my bedside table. Especially after you mentioned the Pea puffers. I think it would be cool to have a little puffer fish beside the bed. That's one fish that I've never kept so far. I've kept about every kind of live breeder, some of the larger species of gourami, angelfish, Barb's, cichlids, and of course goldfish and koi. But I've never had any of the puffer fish. They have a mint little glass 5 gallon aquarium with mini waterfall feature thing at PetSmart on sale. It does not have a whole lot of filtration but if I know I am using it for is one small puffer fish and maybe a few small snails for it to munch on in a planted Aquarium I think it would do fine. It has a nice built-in LED also that would work for java fern and the such.

I'm a sit back up my 80 gallon but I'm not sure yet. I've got a 80 gallon and a 36 gallon bowfront. A 40-gallon breeder a 29 gallon long Aquarium. Three10 gallon aquariums and two 5-gallon LOL. Oh and a mounted betta fish bowl in the bathroom lol.

But for now I'm thinking I want to stay small and not overwhelm myself LOL. I've been there before where I dreaded trying to take care of the tanks because I had too many set up at one time.

I know the feeling.  I just took down a couple of 6 foot tanks and a rack of 20 gallon longs, it felt like I was a slave to water changes.  A desire to travel more and health issues motivated me to downsize   Ideally that nano fish setup should be in 2 separate setups, but I'm determined to limit my # of tanks to 3.  Or maybe 4, or so.  lol

Puffers I never had either, lots of personality there, too.

• Like 1

Oh I see, well that explains things LOL! I guess you could always read the files and posts there on her web page like I do sometimes. The thing is that Sach passed away some years ago, and her members took over her FB page then made a new one like I said but no one runs her old web site now, just FB. She had the best crab care page, it seem like all the other sites out there give bad outdated harmful advice. Sach would always debunk all the old info with tried and tested modern info. Sach sure taught me a whole lot and I've had these crabs for almost 6 years! Before I found Sach's page my crabs only lived a max of 1 year or way less. At least the members that now run her FB page sticks with the way Sach ran her page. It's pretty sad because she had children too, and the youngest was just a little toddler at the time  
I found a very large strawberry hermit crab at a pet store us a neat by city. But they only had one.
I'm still bit 100% sure if that's what I am wanting to do though. I'm thinking about it. I know you said they like company. She also had several very small purple claw.
The strawberry was in about a 3"-3.5" shell. And too me looked big. Idk about mixing species or sizes like that. Seems like a no-no to me.
But thought I'd run this info by you and get your thoughts.

I found a very large strawberry hermit crab at a pet store us a neat by city. But they only had one.
I'm still bit 100% sure if that's what I am wanting to do though. I'm thinking about it. I know you said they like company. She also had several very small purple claw.
The strawberry was in about a 3"-3.5" shell. And too me looked big. Idk about mixing species or sizes like that. Seems like a no-no to me.
But thought I'd run this info by you and get your thoughts.

Mixing species is fine. Many crabbers that have the opportunity to have multiple species of crabs often keep them together. What many reccomend however is that having a species buddy whenever possible, so they dont get lonely.

I personally also reccomend keeping crabs of different sizes together, they often do better and have less conflicts due to not sharing the same resources - like shells. Having kept crabs of the same size, often problems arose compared to crabs of different sizes.

Straws are extremely hard to keep, and many don't live past a couple of years before dying of moulting complications. However, many that have had straws for longer periods of time often had a UVB setup, feeding a varied diet and a nice deep saltwater bowl.... and deep substrate to keep them happy! They love to dig.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi guys :hi

Sorry I've not been around. Been sick again :madrant 

Hi guys :hi

Sorry I've not been around. Been sick again :madrant 
Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Thanks Daniel, I'm mostly better but still have a really bad cough that keeps me up half the night 

• Like 1

I'm glad you are feeling at least some better. :hug:

Thanks Daniel, I'm mostly better but still have a really bad cough that keeps me up half the night 

So the glass lid to my take has about a half inch gap all the way around. And I'm still losing fish to them jumping out :( I have lost two more. The ones inside are doing great. But I just can't figure out what's going on. I've never seen them act like they are going to it try. But there is no mistake when you have a dead fish on the floor.

:hi

51 minutes ago, Daniel E. said:

So the glass lid to my take has about a half inch gap all the way around. And I'm still losing fish to them jumping out :( I have lost two more. The ones inside are doing great. But I just can't figure out what's going on. I've never seen them act like they are going to it try. But there is no mistake when you have a dead fish on the floor.

I’m sorry Daniel :(:hug 

Aw Sorry Daniel! I was lucky when I had guppies I guess, never had any jump out the gaps in the lid. I didn't realize they were jumpers either!

• Like 1

That's weird. I too have never heard of them being notorious jumpers. I've heard of Bettas jumping but mine can barely even swim and so I am not too worried about that.

I wonder if Blood Parrots jump. I don't think so. I have lids but I keep them open since the tank runs very warm it helps with the oxygen exchange. 

• Like 1

Hi guys :)

Hey!

Morning everyone

Morning!

Quick question koko, would it be possible to look into adding the report button to the tapatalk end of things?

Morning!

Quick question koko, would it be possible to look into adding the report button to the tapatalk end of things?

There is one. Highlight the lost and then click on the three dots on the upper right hand corner. There is a report option there.

385d1183a02cbd89da5550d05a936e7d.jpg

There is one. Highlight the lost and then click on the three dots on the upper right hand corner. There is a report option there.

Ohh. There is! Tapatalk must have different types of report functions available then! Thanks for that, never mind Koko!

• Like 1