mcpesq817

My 100g planted tank

20 posts in this topic

First, just wanted to thank you all for answering my questions back when I started back last spring.  I was originally going to go with a 40g bow front, and ended up returning it and going with a 100g acrylic which was a better choice (might have been even better going with a 125g, but 100g was probably pushing things with my wife).  I set up the tank in early March, waited 3-4 weeks until it was cycled, and added fish in mid April.   I used Tahitian Moon Sand, river rocks from a local creek (lots of scrubbing, left out in water, in sun, and boiled over the course of a week or two), and added a variety of plants (java ferns, crypts, anubias, and another plant I can't recall the name of at the moment).

Let's see - for equipment, I went with:

Filter:  two Eheim pro 4+ 600 canisters, and added the external pre filters which have helped keep the filters running pretty clean.

Lighting: Current USA Pro LEDs

Bubbler:  Eheim Air Pump 400 (added a month or two ago).

Auto Fish Feeder:  Eheim Everyday Automatic Programmable Fish Feeder

Food:  Omega One pellets, Saki-Hikari Lionhead, peas, brine shrimp, bloodworms, seaweed, and just started adding Repashy Super Gold.

Right now I have 10 goldfish and one bristlenose pleco.  A bit overstocked, but had figured I would have lost a fish or two or more along the way.  The only one I lost was a mail order purchase of a pearlscale that didn't last more than two or three days after he arrived.  But, with the filtration and weekly WCs of around 75%, so far so good.  Almost all the fish I bought from my local Petsmart as tiny fish in the $3-7 range.  These included the three orandas (blue, orange, and yellow capped), the calico veil tail, two ryukin fantails, and one I can't identify that is a fat bodied fish with a wen like an oranda, but very stumpy fins.  For variety, I bought the lemon headed ranchu, the sakura ranchu, and the red-capped lion head  (named Donald Trump) from an online vendor as tiny fish.

Here are the pictures - thanks again everyone!

Just starting out:

IMG_3343.thumb.JPG.91c6b2ce1abb635817089b9498dc3072.JPG

IMG_3352.thumb.JPG.bc2ce380d1d071393475f8da85e5695e.JPG

IMG_3415.thumb.JPG.58165d30a0cafa5176b6a888b35a48e1.JPG

IMG_3421.thumb.JPG.e413d78b4a4e49ce9c6eb886e016455d.JPG

IMG_3425.thumb.JPG.8de47cac05fabc62314fb9f1e5d50a57.JPG

IMG_3455.thumb.JPG.10e1f163338ef6ab8aff3ec603eb2201.JPG

IMG_3494.thumb.JPG.3b6b226768f455e18d174d811dbf8ca1.JPG

IMG_3504.thumb.JPG.f900491653b835b670fa3302b81d8606.JPG

IMG_3660.thumb.JPG.39ee8ec637f1b2a49dd8d65aeb92b64a.JPG

Edited by mcpesq817
  • Like 3

Pics of my tank today:

IMG_5610.thumb.JPG.267d2de88daecede240db12283b10e57.JPG

IMG_5631.thumb.JPG.4709012b125ff438232f78f3e4000d5f.JPG

IMG_5117.thumb.JPG.34fcdfccd9e3628a1f0b041238fbacf7.JPG

IMG_5619.thumb.JPG.ca733c2c1fe1143b75c6f187d0f4180a.JPG

IMG_5622.thumb.JPG.82366b317f873bec1745abb813dec23f.JPGIMG_5620.thumb.JPG.218d9b800cb9166918927ceb5a02611d.JPG

• Like 4

Have you read our guidelines for healthy goldfish?    You might read the section on stocking levels.   Just out of curiosity,  what are the dimensions of that tank?  It appears shallower than most tanks of that volume.  (That's a good thing.)

• Like 1

I have yes.  The tank is 60x20x18 (width/depth/height).

Your tank & Goldfish look great!!!

• Like 1

Thank you!

Wow, the tank and inhabitants look amazing! Really good job with the tank.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words!

• Like 1

Lovely fish & set up! I especially like your calico veiltail :)

• Like 1

Pretty tank and I love the fish!  They all grew so much, and the plants matured nicely too.  I just tore all the plants out of my aquarium but you’re making me miss them :P

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shahbazin said:

Lovely fish & set up! I especially like your calico veiltail :)

Thank you Shahbazin.  One of my 4-year old twins named her Silverfeather Sharktail.  She's was tiny when my daughter picked her out, and a very dull gray (she is the bottom fish in the second picture of my first post).  I also wasn't sure that she would make it as she sat on the bottom of the tank for a good month after we got her.  But, she is in really great health now, and lost a lot of the dull gray color to have very vibrant oranges, silvers, etc.  A really cool fish, I haven't seen any other veiltails at Petsmart and other local fish stores.

2 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Pretty tank and I love the fish!  They all grew so much, and the plants matured nicely too.  I just tore all the plants out of my aquarium but you’re making me miss them :P

Thank  you Artic Mama for the kind words!

I like the plants for adding a little color to the tank.  I also thought they would help keep nitrates down, though I don't know to what extent that is happening.  I'm not sure how I feel about them now.  The tank was very overgrown, especially with the crypts which must have been over two feet long because at one point, the tops of the plants were laying across the top of the water.  I think the fertilizer tablets I was using really juiced the growth of everything, so I had to buy aquatic scissors to keep everything in check.  I also had to pull a lot of the new crypts out that were growing all throughout the tank because it likes to put out runners.  I haven't added new fertilizer tablets in months, and the growth has really slowed down.  Instead, I just add about 5 capfuls of Seachem Flourish every week with my water changes.

Also, my bristlenose pleco likes to hang on the undersides of the java fern leaves where there was lots of algae.  As she's gotten bigger, she does a number on the leaves which end up dying or looking wrecked.  I got her because I was having a ton of algae everywhere, especially on the river rocks (they were covered completely in green and brown algae) - but after getting her, the rocks cleaned up almost immediately.  

As the fish have gotten bigger, they've also been a little more destructive so I'm constantly pulling out floating leaves and other debris.  I think I'll still keep plants, but maybe stick with things like anubias and crypts.  I'll probably also remove some more rocks as well so they have more room.  I've already taken some out, and will probably pull out more in the future.

nice setup, always wondered how goldfish would do with a planted tank. What substrate did you use, also how does that affect suctioning the tank?

• Like 1

I use Tahitian Moon Sand.  When I siphon with the Python, I keep it just over the sand to pick up debris.  I also pick up the rocks and agitate the surface of the sand a bit to ensure nothing is trapped.  I also stick the hose into the base of the plants where a lot of debris seems to get trapped.

Now that my fish are bigger, they are ripping up the plants a lot more.  My bristlenose pleco also likes to park himself on the java fern leaves causing damage.  I still like the plants for a little extra color and hopefully nitrate mitigation.

On February 24, 2018 at 8:26 AM, mcpesq817 said:

I use Tahitian Moon Sand.  When I siphon with the Python, I keep it just over the sand to pick up debris.  I also pick up the rocks and agitate the surface of the sand a bit to ensure nothing is trapped.  I also stick the hose into the base of the plants where a lot of debris seems to get trapped.

Now that my fish are bigger, they are ripping up the plants a lot more.  My bristlenose pleco also likes to park himself on the java fern leaves causing damage.  I still like the plants for a little extra color and hopefully nitrate mitigation.

Try some Moss balls, goldfish can munch on them :) I have java ferns in my tank with balls and they seem to tear the balls apart and not my plants :teehee 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2018 at 1:19 PM, koko said:

Try some Moss balls, goldfish can munch on them :) I have java ferns in my tank with balls and they seem to tear the balls apart and not my plants :teehee 

Good to know, I'll have to look into that.  Can you use moss balls in a tank that has substrate?  I'm using sand.  Usually I've seen moss balls used on bare bottom tanks.

Thank you!

On February 28, 2018 at 9:00 AM, mcpesq817 said:

Good to know, I'll have to look into that.  Can you use moss balls in a tank that has substrate?  I'm using sand.  Usually I've seen moss balls used on bare bottom tanks.

Thank you!

Well they don't move around as much with sand or gravel in the tank, but all you need to do is move them around when you do a water change. :) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That sounds like a great idea, gonna pic some up. Is that black sand as a substrate?

Edited by Craigger
  • Like 1

Yep, I’m using Tahitian Moon Sand from Carib Sea.  I found out about it from others on this forum.  It’s dense enough so debris tends to sit on the top.  It’s also small enough that the goldfish seem to like to sift through it, and my BN pleco can dig little hollows under the river rocks.

Pricing for it seems odd - sometimes the 20 pound bag is barely more than the 5 pound bag.  And when I first set up the tank, I think a seller was selling two 20 pound bags for like $20 and free shipping.  Just an FYI that you can get good deals if you time things right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007R55QUU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520174933&sr=8-1&keywords=tahitian+moon+sand&dpPl=1&dpID=51eulhL2KKL&ref=plSrch

Wow that tank looks amazing! Makes me miss my sand lol

• Thanks 1