Arctic Mama

ArcticMama’s Goldfish Coffee Klatch

7 posts in this topic

The tank gang, January 2018. I just got rid of all my remaining plants since my ancistrus bit the big one after the stress of moving.  I was tired of algae and not in the mood to quarantine a new for for a gazillion years :teehee

Mjfromga’s arrivals are all in and happy as clams.  I do NOT recommend skipping quarantine, but she is one of about five people whose tank habits I trust enough to omit that step on old, healthy stock.  Everyone is under the influence of prazi and homemade fish food, and seems pretty enthusiastic with the tank redecorating.

WARNING:  I am a crap videographer. Abysmal.  I can’t take a good moving or still picture to save my life.  Watch at your own risk :Beware:

• Like 3

You did a good job Taryl!!!  Goldfish look FANTASTIC!!!!    :thumbup2:

• Thanks 1

They are all gorgeous, I love the close ups :P

• Thanks 1

Would you look at that? Size wise, they fit right in. Not too big, not too small. But they really should grow some more, especially Kanama.

Also, the boys would thank you to not call them "old stock" Taryl lol. Axe and Malina are a little bit over a year... And Kanama is about 5-6 months younger than them. Hopefully they settle in and do well.

The boys have all been here since they were tiny and I haven't had any health issues at all out of them so I highly doubt they're carrying anything nasty. Thanks again for taking them for me Taryl. 

• Haha 1

Hahaha!  Okay not old - how about pre-quarantined? :P

• Like 1

I was honestly surprised yours were such a good size, Myra!  But a fair bit of my old stock has passed away for various reasons.  Only momoko, the big orange ranchu, is more than two years old.  He’s three and some change.  But the other five are from Gary and I guess they’re about eighteen months now, and none of them have particularly epic big fish genes, especially the black ranchu.  He’s doubled in size but he was a baby when I got him and growing very slow.  The moors have also doubled in size and two of them should get a fair bit bigger, I think, but the other two are shrimpy and only their fins grow longer :thumbdown  They haven’t gained length or noticeable heft in six months.

Edited by Arctic Mama
  • Like 1

Yeah Axe is from Gary Hater too. Super shrimp when I got him and I think he's the largest of the group now! He was a free add on of a fish I bought (which explains his quality). The nice one I bought was destroyed in the owl assault last summer. I like his color pattern, but his body shape just stinks for a Ryukin. Perfect for you, a fantail lover!

The boys haven't grown much recently either, but then they're out in the cold with no food so that's normal. Feed those stinkers, and they'll grow. I am sure of it. I think Kanama has some nice growth potential. His wen is big for his age and he's shot up in size faster than some others. 

Take the mushy fish, I totally am pulling away from them. I want Ryukins. Lots of cute and round little Ryukins.