Kokos Goldfish Forum
GrayGoldfish

Considering re-entering the hobby! (long rambling chat)

Hello everyone! I'm considering re-entering the goldfish/aquarium hobby, and I suppose I've come to the right place :teehee

I've had tanks before - on and off since I was a kid. Fish have always been a huge interest of mine.  When i first started getting "serious" with fish tanks, I poured way too much money into my hobby than I should have. I bit off way more than I could chew and burned myself out pretty quickly. Too many tanks, too many fish, too much chopping and changing. I'm sure some of you can relate. I prioritised all the wrong things. Jumped the gun and bought all the expensive stuff. Was overall just going nuts because I finally had my own place and could do whatever I wanted. I know now that was a mistake (albeit a great life lesson). I had fun for a few years but eventually it got the better of me and I decided to close down my tanks and take a break. 

Time and money have always been an issue for me. Whilst I'm not particularly poor in either aspect, I find it hard to prioritise fish things when there is so much else to juggle. Career progression, home renovations, relationships, etc. Well life is slowing down a little now and I think I want to have another go, and this time do things much more slowly and methodically (and frugally). 

I have some renovations in my apartment that I am waiting to finish up before I get a tank (could be another 3-4months), so I have plenty of time to think about and plan what I want to do.

Let's be honest, the research phase is usually the funnest part anyways. 

2 hours ago, GrayGoldfish said:

Hello everyone! I'm considering re-entering the goldfish/aquarium hobby, and I suppose I've come to the right place :teehee

I've had tanks before - on and off since I was a kid. Fish have always been a huge interest of mine.  When i first started getting "serious" with fish tanks, I poured way too much money into my hobby than I should have. I bit off way more than I could chew and burned myself out pretty quickly. Too many tanks, too many fish, too much chopping and changing. I'm sure some of you can relate. I prioritised all the wrong things. Jumped the gun and bought all the expensive stuff. Was overall just going nuts because I finally had my own place and could do whatever I wanted. I know now that was a mistake (albeit a great life lesson). I had fun for a few years but eventually it got the better of me and I decided to close down my tanks and take a break. 

Time and money have always been an issue for me. Whilst I'm not particularly poor in either aspect, I find it hard to prioritise fish things when there is so much else to juggle. Career progression, home renovations, relationships, etc. Well life is slowing down a little now and I think I want to have another go, and this time do things much more slowly and methodically (and frugally). 

I have some renovations in my apartment that I am waiting to finish up before I get a tank (could be another 3-4months), so I have plenty of time to think about and plan what I want to do.

Let's be honest, the research phase is usually the funnest part anyways. 

:hi and :welcome

Yeah I have been there before buying everything I could for my fish. I find that keeping it simple and doing water changes is the key to goldfish. :)

If you have any questions please ask we are here to help if you need :)

Hey
Fish keeping is one of those things that can get addicting fast! Best bet would be the KISS rule - keep it simple, silly! With that applied, you learn to develop a checklist of buying a particular item and what not.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The KISS rule IS the new rule of thumb... lol!
:hi and welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Kokos!!!!