Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

After the ice...

13 posts in this topic

So here they are. Tweedledum and Trinity are the two losses. Tweedledee is in the front now. He had turned over sideways. Pulled through though. 

Patiska is in a tub inside. He flipped upside down and even when I put him back out, he flipped again. He stays inside until spring. Everyone else is out here, hanging in. 

There are 3 tiny single tails from an experiment I was conducting in here, as well. Idk what else to do with them now that the experiment is over. Nobody wants them and I can't hurt them so in they went! 

• Like 2

Thats really not to bad MJ. I think you did great considering everything going on. :) 

• Like 1

It isn't me that did great, it is the goldfish! They're a tough group for sure. There will be another freeze. I will try a cover this time and hope to prevent a total ice over. They REALLY did not like that and that's the only time when there were any losses. 

They look great Myra!! Glad they pulled through for you.

17 hours ago, mjfromga said:

It isn't me that did great, it is the goldfish! They're a tough group for sure. There will be another freeze. I will try a cover this time and hope to prevent a total ice over. They REALLY did not like that and that's the only time when there were any losses. 

But you took care of them and most of them pulled through. Don't be so hard on your self. :P 

I wanted to see how they'd do. Many people told me there was no way most of them could do it, but not a single person had actually TRIED it. We can't learn like that. The freeze is already back and will get worse, but I believe in them. I think most of them will be fine. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mjfromga said:

If you put a pump in the pond with a tube going to the surface, you can keep a hole open in the ice.  This allows some gas exchange.  They don't need much oxygen in cold water, but they do need some.   Fish in an open ice-free pond can freeze to death if you get heavy snow or sleet.  This cools the water to the freezing point which severely shocks the fish at best.  An iced-over pond (unless frozen solid) will have water at the bottom slightly above frezing.

Water was beneath the frozen point for two days. Then it went over freezing. Two babies were lost. 

@Arctic Mama

The fish are still doing OK... and I'm headed right now to get the bags, but omg the weather has been really bad again. Poor little babies. The temps are all over the place. 

Weather is going to stay cold until Friday, but it will be really warm over that weekend and into the following week

Did you want to fast them over the weekend and ship out Monday?  How is your jaw feeling?

The tooth has healed just fine... Now I have the flu :( There's an epidemic in Atlanta right now.

Haven't been able to check the fish at all since the last freeze. But they haven't eaten regardless. I've got the new bags already. I should be able to ship them Monday or Tuesday. 

Hope you feel better Myra!!!