mjfromga

After the ice...

42 posts in this topic

So here they are. Tweedledum and Trinity are the two losses. Tweedledee is in the front now. He had turned over sideways. Pulled through though. 

Patiska is in a tub inside. He flipped upside down and even when I put him back out, he flipped again. He stays inside until spring. Everyone else is out here, hanging in. 

There are 3 tiny single tails from an experiment I was conducting in here, as well. Idk what else to do with them now that the experiment is over. Nobody wants them and I can't hurt them so in they went! 

• Like 2

Thats really not to bad MJ. I think you did great considering everything going on. :) 

• Like 1

It isn't me that did great, it is the goldfish! They're a tough group for sure. There will be another freeze. I will try a cover this time and hope to prevent a total ice over. They REALLY did not like that and that's the only time when there were any losses. 

They look great Myra!! Glad they pulled through for you.

17 hours ago, mjfromga said:

It isn't me that did great, it is the goldfish! They're a tough group for sure. There will be another freeze. I will try a cover this time and hope to prevent a total ice over. They REALLY did not like that and that's the only time when there were any losses. 

But you took care of them and most of them pulled through. Don't be so hard on your self. :P 

I wanted to see how they'd do. Many people told me there was no way most of them could do it, but not a single person had actually TRIED it. We can't learn like that. The freeze is already back and will get worse, but I believe in them. I think most of them will be fine. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mjfromga said:

If you put a pump in the pond with a tube going to the surface, you can keep a hole open in the ice.  This allows some gas exchange.  They don't need much oxygen in cold water, but they do need some.   Fish in an open ice-free pond can freeze to death if you get heavy snow or sleet.  This cools the water to the freezing point which severely shocks the fish at best.  An iced-over pond (unless frozen solid) will have water at the bottom slightly above frezing.

Water was beneath the frozen point for two days. Then it went over freezing. Two babies were lost. 

@Arctic Mama

The fish are still doing OK... and I'm headed right now to get the bags, but omg the weather has been really bad again. Poor little babies. The temps are all over the place. 

Weather is going to stay cold until Friday, but it will be really warm over that weekend and into the following week

Did you want to fast them over the weekend and ship out Monday?  How is your jaw feeling?

The tooth has healed just fine... Now I have the flu :( There's an epidemic in Atlanta right now.

Haven't been able to check the fish at all since the last freeze. But they haven't eaten regardless. I've got the new bags already. I should be able to ship them Monday or Tuesday. 

Hope you feel better Myra!!!

• Like 1

You got the flu too, huh?  I keep waiting for the coughing portion to abate but it’s lingering annoyingly.  The two youngest boys and I are home from church today since we are still hacking. 

I feel much better today thankfully. The cough is always the last to go. At least the terrible fever and body aches are gone. I also was able to check the fish yesterday. Those 3 boys were of course totally fine. They're all young boys and pretty tough. Mr. Axe has grown quite a bit. I definitely will be able to ship the fish this week. They are probably sick of the weather here anyway. 

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

You got the flu too, huh?  I keep waiting for the coughing portion to abate but it’s lingering annoyingly.  The two youngest boys and I are home from church today since we are still hacking. 

It took me two months to get rid of the coughing part. :( I hope it goes faster for you guys. I almost pulled a rib muscle from coughing so much :( 

Pulled a rib muscle. The things you say Koko. Omg... And yikes two months? Horrible! Hopefully it doesn't last that long. 

1 hour ago, mjfromga said:

Pulled a rib muscle. The things you say Koko. Omg... And yikes two months? Horrible! Hopefully it doesn't last that long. 

:P It was the worst I have had in a long time :o 

@Arctic Mama

I can get the fish out first thing Wednesday morning. They're all totally fine. Two day should see them there by Saturday max. Won't be ultra cold either. They can handle some cold anyway. 

Sounds good, I’m looking forward to meeting them.  It’s like the one bright spot after dying of flu all week :death

I actually am feeling pretty good. Though I will admit that I didn't go easy on the flu meds. I barely have a cough at all now. Cough drops keep away the little cough I do have.

I just hope the sweet little boys arrive alive and okay. Mr. Axe, the Gary Hater little dude, has somehow jumped over the others in size recently. I've promised away Theresa and Asteroid as well if your boys arrive safely.

There are 29 in there now... With a grumpy old Patiska inside the house. Numbers ideally need to be no higher than 22 before spring or I'm going to have big problems. 

• Like 1

I put a few floating pellets on the top today since I haven't fed them in ages. Forgot to pull the boys but they didn't get much anyway so it should be fine. The big girls and more bossy boys (Callisto, Lorenzo, Judas, Charles) always get the most. Definitely won't feed them anything else. 

Edited by mjfromga

Well my mother brought home this box for me... Totally the wrong box. It isn't flat rate and it isn't the right shape. She claimed that's all they had. The priority large boxes I got are definitely way too small. The one that WAS the right size that was very old I can't use.

I am pretty sure I can still sit the bags upright in this box but there's tons of extra room on the sides I have to fill. If the bags won't sit upright, I will have to turn them over and fill the extra room above. It is going to cost way more than I originally thought to ship because it isn't a flat rate box. 

Kinda crappy but I am determined to make it work. I can give you the quote this evening if you want @Arctic Mama

IMG_20180123_154810.jpg

Eh, that should still work, I wouldn’t be too worried about the shape. The air volume matters more than the water volume anyway.  Send along quotes when you have them :)

• Like 1

Yes the box should still work, it just isn't the right one. It's all good. I sure hope the little fish get there okay. They're tough fish and so if they die, it's definitely something I did. I want to learn so this is interesting to me. And I REALLY need to boot the fish, and am happy they can go to someone who is a good keeper.