Pic of the week
CountryLovah

My Goldfish is refusing to eat at all. Help please?

17 posts in this topic

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 20
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) ?
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 20
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Test Kit
      • * Water temperature? 65
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 46 Gallons and its been running for about 8 years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Penguin 350
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Between 50% and 75% weekly 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days ago, 75%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish remaining who is almost 9 years old and she is approx 8-9 inches including tail
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead Sinking Pellets as main food as main food every 2 days. (I used to feed once daily but I do not live at the same house as my fish anymore so have been feeding less) 
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No, no new fish in at least 6 years
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Years ago I was actually very active on this site and was even a moderator for a brief period. I learned how to keep my fish from this site and at one point my collection was up to 30 goldfish. I set this tank up approx 8 years ago (maybe 9) with 5 fish. The tank and all fish were treated with 2 weeks of salt at 0.3% and with at least a month of prazi. All fish were added at the same time. No new fish were ever added. THe fish in this tank thrived but a few died during a power outage. Other than that, one fish dropsied and I had treated with Metro Meds at the time. But this particular fish has never been sick. Slowly the fish died off for various reasons (most from the week long power outade during Sandy, or dropsy). This fish has never had any major issues.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? She has a bit of cloudy eye that he has had for about a year. I honestly believe its an age thing. And she has a few missing scales. That also has been been about a year now. However aside from that she is doing well. NO frayed fins, no red streaks, no fungus, no pop eye, no pineconing. She is swimming happily. Her dorsal fin is upright. Sorry I keep saying she but I actually believe its a he based on the vent I just named her a girlie name so I am in the habit of calling her she. 
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? On Christmast I noticed that the food I had given him the day before was not touched at all. He normally gobbles it up. Over the past couple of weeks I have racked my brain, trying to think of why he had stopped eating. Nothing has changed at ALL. But he is refusing food. I tried a fresh bag, no luck. I tried a different brand of food. No Luck. I checked his mouth and it is opening and there is no blockage or anything. He basically just stopped eating completely but is otherwise acting TOTALLY normal. No swimbladder issues or anything like that. Does anyone have ANY ideas as to what is wrong. Thanks in advance! 

C2358053-65F0-4DB7-92B0-7740975820AC.MOV

Welcome back!  It’s so frustrating when a fish appears healthy except for a random symptom like not eating, isn’t it?  I agree it could be an end-of-life thing, given the age of the animal. There are other signs of aging, with the condition of the scales and the cataracts in the eyes.

Will she swallow if you try and pop a syringe in wih a slurry of pellets and garlic juice? Or does she expel that food actively?

Thanks for answering. I tried handfeeding but he doesn't let me. I've had other fish that let me hand feed but when I tried with him he just wiggled away and it was stressing him out. So I coukdht even get any food in. 

I also thought they were cataracts and not a bacterial cloudy eye. But like I said he has had them for a while. And I've had totally blind fish still find food. So even with them he should be able to smell the food. 

I think what baffles me the most is that he went from eating like a pig one day to not eating at all. It wasn't a slow loss of interest in food. It was overnight. 

I appreciate your response! Wish me luck! 

She (he) may of just gone on a fasting period, I've had fish do that for a few days and then resume eating after that period of time. If it appears healthy, I would personally just keep and eye on her and moniter.

Have you tired feeding some veggies (like duckweed, spinach, blanched zucchini ect?) How about bloodworms - most fish can never say no to bloodworms?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, aussieJJDude said:

She (he) may of just gone on a fasting period, I've had fish do that for a few days and then resume eating after that period of time. If it appears healthy, I would personally just keep and eye on her and moniter.

Have you tired feeding some veggies (like duckweed, spinach, blanched zucchini ect?) How about bloodworms - most fish can never say no to bloodworms?

I was going to suggest duckweed and bloodworms soaked in garlic to get him to eat :) 

Welcome back and hope your Goldfish feels better!!!

Thanks everyone. It's been between 2-3 weeks since he's eaten ANYTHING At ALL. But I'm in agreement that since he is otherwise behaving normally I should monitor and watch . I think bloodworms in garlic is a great idea though! I'll keep you guys posted! 

P.s. Hi Koko!!!! Hope you have been doing well!! 😊 

13 hours ago, CountryLovah said:

Thanks everyone. It's been between 2-3 weeks since he's eaten ANYTHING At ALL. But I'm in agreement that since he is otherwise behaving normally I should monitor and watch . I think bloodworms in garlic is a great idea though! I'll keep you guys posted! 

:hi I would also see if you can find some duckweed. Its a goldfish favorite food :) 

Yes, do try the duckweed, but if she won’t eat that you’re going to need to force feed.  She has to eat.  If that’s not an option I’d probably euthanize, as it would be less painful than wasting away.  But it’s really up to you.  If you’re willing to use a syringe and slurry and she’s in good health otherwise it might be worth the effort.

Duckweed is good stuff, try that first for sure.

Here is a good video by Helen on how to syringe feed a goldfish, if you need help with that and want to try.

On 1/10/2018 at 7:12 PM, CountryLovah said:

how is it going?

Hey guys! Thanks for all the advice. 

I didn't know what duckweed was but I tried bloodworms and a few other types of food with no luck. 

I was getting super worried cause like Artic Mama said a goldfish must eat. And I wouldn't want him to waste away. But he still seemed so active and healthy and wasn't wasting away at least not visually. 

Then out of nowhere one day I tried the Hikari pellets that had been his main food and he just ate them! It's like as quickly as he stopped he just started again even though nothing changed!

Hes eaten 5 or 6 times now. He won't touch the bloodworms but I have a rescue Blood Parrot that is stunted (previous owners put him in with aggressive African cichlids) and he's loving the bloodworms!

So good news! And that's a good video to watch in case there is an issue in the future!

Thanks everyone! 

• Like 1

Glad to hear he sudden turned around!

As for thr duckweed, google can help you there but I'm sure other members have some photos of this plant. Basically its a small floating aquatic plant, which goldies love it eat.

Thanks! I'm so so glad he did a 180. I don't know what happened to make him stop and I don't know what happened to make him start but luckily he's doing well! 

• Like 1

Glad he is doing better!!!  :thumbup2:

Well spoke too soon. Just as quickly as he stopped, then started again, he had stopped eating again. I dunno what to do. 

Seperatly,  does anyone know how long an unopened bottle of prazi pro is good for? My daughter actually notIced that my blood parrot cichlid had bright red under his gills and I had noticed that but she said "it looks like a coral reef". And it does.  It looks like red with long red strings and she found another post that said it was gill flukes. I dunno much about cichlids. This wasn't even supposed to be my fish. 

She found this pic online and it looks EXACTLY like my fish. I just know my prazi is unopened but I think I bought it like 4 years ago.

IMG_6905.PNG

On February 14, 2018 at 10:35 AM, CountryLovah said:

Well spoke too soon. Just as quickly as he stopped, then started again, he had stopped eating again. I dunno what to do. 

I would get Duckweed. That would be my first thing to try :)

On February 14, 2018 at 10:35 AM, CountryLovah said:

Seperatly,  does anyone know how long an unopened bottle of prazi pro is good for? My daughter actually notIced that my blood parrot cichlid had bright red under his gills and I had noticed that but she said "it looks like a coral reef". And it does.  It looks like red with long red strings and she found another post that said it was gill flukes. I dunno much about cichlids. This wasn't even supposed to be my fish. 

She found this pic online and it looks EXACTLY like my fish. I just know my prazi is unopened but I think I bought it like 4 years ago.

IMG_6905.PNG

I would get another bottle :)