aussieJJDude

New Member from AU

28 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

Here from aus, recent lurker but decided to join since it looked like a good community.

Backstory! (Yay)

Last year, early 2017 (or late 2016...) my family wanted to set up a pond. Which of course, being me and a long time sufferer of MTS i said 'hell yeah' and jumped at the opportunity. Digging out rocky soil was a PITA, but I was determined to dig past the foot wide boulders to get another tank going. Unfortunately, I couldn't talk my family into going with a nice DIY pond using liner and all, and had to settle with a performed pond which i believe is in the 90g range. Good enough for me TBH.

I originally planned on stocking it with native fish and inverts however after months of going to multiple LFS trying to order some native 'pygmy perch' my family was losing interest fast and caved into the idea of going with some white clouds - which would love the size. Whether it was fate or just coincidence, there was no white clouds in any of the local(er) LFS so we settled with goldfish. Since we 'had' to go goldies, i decided that we would stock with fancies since they not as active as the commons and would be more 'size appropiate since they dont get *as large* - and also, i just wanted a excuse to get fancies. Fast forward a year later, I'm currently stocked with two fancies thats around the 3 inch mark - which they have grown a bit from the stunted 1 inch in around a year - and a unplanned telescope eye thats 4 inch - poor thing was in a tank all alone and was in the store for 6 months... so i just 'had' to get him/her.

And in the late 2017, i discovered babies. Having really no spare cycled tank, i decided to leave them in thinking that it would make good goldie food. WRONG! Currently have around 10 survivors thats just hit the inch mark, which I'll rehome once i decide on my favourites - its customary to keep one from your first spawn...

Other than that, I have 2 aquariums - a mostly SA community, with a few kuhli (pangio) sp - and a currently planning/stocking/in the making of a SA nano fish, with Asian inverts and flora. And, my colony of land hermit crabs, which I'm in the process of setting up a plywood crabitat.

And yeah... that's about it. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Welcome to Kokos!!!!

Welcome to Kokos!!!!
Thanks DawnMichele for the warm welcome. :)

Hi! Welcome to Kokos! We would love to see photos of your fish :D

I'm from Australia too, Down in Adelaide :D

@FishyMandy

Surprisingly i dont have any goldie pics, and since its 40C today in Mel, im not going outside unless i have to... but will my other tanks suffice?

Glad to see another aussie on here!

I'd love to see your other tanks!

It's 40 here today too so I know what you mean :rofl

• Like 1

I'd love to see your other tanks!

It's 40 here today too so I know what you mean :rofl

Ok... see if these do any justice! :)

Updated pics - taken fresh from today.

My 65G (246L) Mostly SA aquarium.

bc4868ad05a1a3058663890c82bf415f.jpg

21a0ed45001f01aa55a8eab5a8075f72.jpg

And my desktop peninsula 'nano' (not really... but currently its my smallest) 25G (100L) soon to be SA fish, asian plants and inverts.

e402a72e9e04b415b841bf0087dceee5.jpg87a2b224025dcc7578bb0664b689f26b.jpg

Idk why the water quality look bad in the pics... not that bad in RL at all... oh well.

• Like 2

Oh wow they look amazing!  I love the shape of the first tank! And the scape is stunning!

Oh wow they look amazing!  I love the shape of the first tank! And the scape is stunning!
Haha. Thanks, that means a lot *blush* ^_^ glad you like them.

• Like 1

Beautiful tank's!!! LOVE the driftwood!!!

:hi and :welcome

Those are beautiful. WOW impressive :)

:lol goldfish will do that to ya 

Beautiful tank's!!! LOVE the driftwood!!!
Thank you. It took a while to source some pieces that i liked, but was worth it in the end. :) a good hardscape really helps to bring out the fish natural behaviours.
:hi and :welcome
Those are beautiful. WOW impressive
 goldfish will do that to ya 
Thanks for the warm intro and the kind words! I always had a slight interest in goldies, and me thinking of being a solid angelfish fan - my *little* guy is my total wet pet/baby - goldies have really broadened my approach to fish keeping, which deemed 'common aquarium fish' still makes great interesting pets.

1 hour ago, aussieJJDude said:

Thank you. It took a while to source some pieces that i liked, but was worth it in the end. :) a good hardscape really helps to bring out the fish natural behaviours.Thanks for the warm intro and the kind words! I always had a slight interest in goldies, and me thinking of being a solid angelfish fan - my *little* guy is my total wet pet/baby - goldies have really broadened my approach to fish keeping, which deemed 'common aquarium fish' still makes great interesting pets.

They will be getting you soon with there cubbyness and little waddling bodies :rofl 

They are like Pringles can't have just one :lol 

They will be getting you soon with there cubbyness and little waddling bodies :rofl 
They are like Pringles can't have just one  
Oh no... I thought I already mentioned it... Already there ;)

1 minute ago, aussieJJDude said:

Oh no... I thought I already mentioned it... Already there ;)

I mean more and more :rofl

One time I had 3 tanks and a pond going. :rofl 

• Like 1

Yea, I started with a tiny little tank that I soon learned wasnt big enough, I had 3 goldies in it...8 years and many upgrades later I now I have 2 tanks and 2 ponds going for goldies as well as a small tropical tank lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FishyMandy said:

Yea, I started with a tiny little tank that I soon learned wasnt big enough, I had 3 goldies in it...8 years and many upgrades later I now I have 2 tanks and 2 ponds going for goldies as well as a small tropical tank lol

Yup once you start its hard to give up :rofl 

4 hours ago, aussieJJDude said:

Thank you. It took a while to source some pieces that i liked, but was worth it in the end. :) a good hardscape really helps to bring out the fish 

4 hours ago, aussieJJDude said:

I LOVE my 55 gallon Angelfish tank!!! 

DSC02998.JPG

• Like 2

DSC02998.thumb.JPG.92207a816554f8637e7c00b8e77fbd59.JPG

Wow. That looks amazing. Whats it stocked with?

Edit: unfortunately I'm at my 'max' of 3 (2 actual aquariums) and rhe single pond. If it was my way, I'll have a external fish room out back filled with my idea of a suitable number of aquariums.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aussieJJDude said:

Edit: unfortunately I'm at my 'max' of 3 (2 actual aquariums) and rhe single pond. If it was my way, I'll have a external fish room out back filled with my idea of a suitable number of aquariums.

:lol That would be me too. I have always wanted a room just for my fish :) 

16 hours ago, aussieJJDude said:

Thank you so much!!! I have a pair of Marbled Angelfish, 2 Diamond Tetra's, 3 Long Finned Tetra's, 1 Super Red  Bristlenose Pleco, 1 Stardust Pleco & 1 Mega Clown Pleco.

That would be me too. I have always wanted a room just for my fish  
The dream eh? Be something to aspire to one day.
Thank you so much!!! I have a pair of Marbled Angelfish, 2 Diamond Tetra's, 3 Long Finned Tetra's, 1 Super Red  Bristlenose Pleco, 1 Stardust Pleco & 1 Mega Clown Pleco.
Beautiful, I love super red BN. Unfortunately, they are not found in AU.... the most 'red' we can get is calico. (I am however, lucky enough to have a calico longfin...)

A room just for me my fish is a dream of mine too lol

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is my fish room. The only difference now is the decor in the 55.

Edited by DawnMichele
  • Like 2

This is my fish room. The only difference now is the decor in the 55.

Was that a frog in the angel fish tank?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk