Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kayla102968

10 year old common constipated?

Take a bucket of water of measured volume, and add measured amounts of baking soda to it until the pH  stabilizes.  Then determine how many teaspoons, tablespoons, or cups you have to add per gallon of tap water, and treat all the water change water accordingly.  Several  people here do this with every water change.  My water comes from a limestone aquifer, so I'm not one of them.

I held off on the metro since she seemed to be swimming around a little bit more instead of constant bottom sitting.  Then she started bottom sitting more again.  

I did her every 2nd day water change today and thought I might try lowering the water in the tank.  Before I noticed that she seems to go nose down and works to stay upright as the water level goes down as I'm changing it.  Today after I did a water change and the water was low... about 10 seconds later she flipped upside down and couldn't upright herself...i gave her a bit of time before refilling the tank.  As soon as the water got filled up again, she flipped back upright immediately.  She has some sort of swim bladder problem for sure...but I don't know how to fix it.

I started her on metro and focus and garlic bloodworms after i saw she was flipped during the water change...and she ate two big clumps of those.  I started her on them after the tank was refilled and she had righted herself.  Is she supposed to eat everything in order to get the whole scoop of metro?  How many times per day do I feed the coated bloodworms?  If I do it twice a day i will definitely have to get more metro and focus powder since I'll be using 10 scoops of focus a day.

Can I also feed her just garlic soaked pellets during the day for other feeding times?

She is still bottom sitting most of the time unless I walk over and she thinks I'm going to feed her...then she comes to the top hoping for food.  I can only get her to eat the pellets and bloodworms when they fall right to the bottom in front of her nose where she sits...her movement is very awkward.

Here are some videos.  One shows her flipped over after I had just drained water out of her tank (no change in water other than depth).  One shows her after when water depth was returned.  The 3rd one is showing the blood worms and metro and focus to see if I'm doing it correctly.  Thanks again for all your help....she looks really rough.

Edited by Kayla102968

Just once a day as much as she can eat in 5 mins. Then I would change the water :) 

Got to hear your video. Yes it should look like that and feed her the whole thing and only once a day for 14 days. If he doesn't eat it all just siphon it out of the tank. Or you can feed it to her then do your water change or bucket to bucket. That way she can eat and then get some fresh water :) 

Koko - am I changing the water because of ammonia or because of metro in the water.  Water changes are stressful for her it seems.  I'd prefer to do it every 2nd day if I can get away with it.

Just now, Kayla102968 said:

Koko - am I changing the water because of ammonia or because of metro in the water.  Water changes are stressful for her it seems.  I'd prefer to do it every 2nd day if I can get away with it.

Ammonia you can leave her with that Metro. I did this with my fish, no worries just worry about the ammonia level :) 

Okay...thank you....i thought I did a bad thing leaving her with the metro :).

I did metro blood worms again this morning.  I also added prazi back in the tank to do a second run of it.  

2 hours later I checked and Elmo was upside down.  This is the first time I've seen her upside down other than when the tank water was lowered.  When I approached her she did right herself but she is struggling to stay upright.  Now she is upside down again.  Should I do a water change to take the prazi out?

I still have seen no poop in the tank...but I can't imagine she'd still be alive if she hadn't pooped yet.  Maybe she ate too many bloodworms this morning...she only ate two clumps of them...but if she's not pooping?

Any thoughts?

how are we doing?