Sign in to follow this  
mjfromga

Not fun

18 posts in this topic

Nasty. After most of the ice melted, I checked. As far as I can tell, everyone is still alive and trying to hang. I have pulled Patiska and Obsidian. They were having trouble. I will check again and may pull Tangerine tomorrow. 

I've heard fish can dropsy in the extreme cold, hopefully this doesn't happen. I have decided not to cover the pond unless too many begin to have issues. I am interested in seeing how it all goes anyway. 

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks. I think most of them will power through just fine. They're quite tough little champs for the most part. And even the ones I've pulled won't stay inside. Once it's back to something not FREEZING every single night, they will go back. I realize the rule is to keep them inside once they're brought inside, but I shall not be following said rule.

Happy New Year & My BEST to your Goldfish Myra!!!

• Like 1

WOW :o They look like frozen fish in there :o 

• Like 1

Yup. They're really not happy. Tweedledum died overnight. He was the tiny one that was fry sized. The weather will get worse. May the strongest survive. I've managed to get overstocked anyway unfortunately. When spring comes, I will have a ton of trouble if I've still got way too many. 

2 hours ago, mjfromga said:

Yup. They're really not happy. Tweedledum died overnight. He was the tiny one that was fry sized. The weather will get worse. May the strongest survive. I've managed to get overstocked anyway unfortunately. When spring comes, I will have a ton of trouble if I've still got way too many. 

Oh no! I bet he couldn't find a warm enough spot :( I sure hope the rest are all okay :) 

He's just tiny and weak. Weak fish won't survive such brutal cold. Honestly I doubt he's the only one that dies before this is all over. No space to move them. 

IM so sorry you lost Treedledum. I hope the rest do well Myra.

Hi Myra. How are your Goldfish doing today?

1 hour ago, DawnMichele said:

Hi Myra. How are your Goldfish doing today?

yes yes 

Another dead. Trinity. Another pulled for buoyancy issues, Tangerine. So... Not so great. 

2 minutes ago, mjfromga said:

Another dead. Trinity. Another pulled for buoyancy issues, Tangerine. So... Not so great. 

IM so sorry to hear that. Hope the weather gets better for them.

I'm way overstocked and it seems like shipping fish just won't work out. I've had issue after issue. May try again later. I honestly may as well let winter claim the weaker ones. I will have BIG problems in spring if I've still got this many. 

Hang in there Myra!!!!  :hug

Thanks Dawn. Will do. 

Have you tried throwing a sheet of plastic over the pond?  The greenhouse effect works pretty well.  

Has the pond iced over?  I know you have pretty cold weather right now.

It dropped just below the freezing point last night -- the first frost we've had in 4 years, and we have just had the coldest week in 8 years.

Posted (edited)

Yup. Iced over. I took to smashing some of the thinner ice and removing it but there's still some. And frankly I will just let the strong ones who can take it be the ones I keep. I made the error of getting too many again and I really can't be pressed to spend anything else right now. I am having a tooth cut out on the 8th. Gonna be expensive. I don't have any sheets of plastic or really anything to put on it. When I begin to lose strong ones, I will worry. Until then, I will hold out on anything. 

Edited by mjfromga