mygoldfishmylife

50 ft siphon doesn't pull dirt from the gravel?

9 posts in this topic

To get the suction going I have an airpump that I attach the the small end of the python and empty the water from the other side. I tried to get the suction going from my python without the airpump, but it's not strong enough to pull the waste from the gravel. What I do is I have a smaller water changer that I use to siphon the waste into buckets while the water is emptying. Has anyone experienced this?

On December 25, 2017 at 11:33 AM, mygoldfishmylife said:

To get the suction going I have an airpump that I attach the the small end of the python and empty the water from the other side. I tried to get the suction going from my python without the airpump, but it's not strong enough to pull the waste from the gravel. What I do is I have a smaller water changer that I use to siphon the waste into buckets while the water is emptying. Has anyone experienced this?

Yup my new 40B does this. My sink and tank are at the same level so if I want to get the gunk off the bottom I have to do the same thing as you :o 

• Like 1

IF you attach the siphon to the sink's faucet, it's important to use the switch to close off the tank end (usually located about two feet from the end) when it is submersed and water has gone up to that switch; then turn on the faucet end to drain and let it run for a few minutes; then turn the switch and allow the faucet to pull the water and gunk from the tank.  It can work if the tank and sink are at the same level if the hose  first goes onto the floor level before going up again to the sink.

On the other hand, I have found more suction and less water waste to drain the siphon out a window and onto the lawn or garden.  There I just inhale at the end of the hose and drop to ground when I see the water coming!

I bought myself the 50 ft python for Christmas (in hindsight, the 25 ft would have been long enough-but it was only a little less than $5 cheaper than the 50) and used it the first time last week.  Our house was built in 1950, and has the original sink in the bathroom.  We can't get it apart without breaking anything, so I run it out to my spigot in the front of the house and hook it up there.  I just turned the water on enough to get the flow going, and then turned off the water and let it drain.  With a new 60 gallon tank, I'm so happy to stop with the buckets!

• Like 1

Congrats on your new Python!!!  :redbanana:

Just FYI......I have a 50 ft Python......when I am removing water & gravel cleaning I NEVER hook it to the faucet. I get plenty of suction to get the job well done. When I have finished gravel cleaning & removing however much water THEN I hook it to the faucet & refill. (Always be watchful goldies are curious & can get pulled in A N D when refilling it is easy to get distracted & OVERFILL!!  I (embarrassingly) have done both of the years! But my Python is a much appreciated tool I would NOT do without!!!

(Note: I always keep THE CLAW on when cleaning to make sure nosey Goldies can't get pulled in!!!)

• Like 3

Sorry, I know that this post is a month old, but thought I'd chime in anyways. Could you drain into the bathtub or shower instead of using the faucet for suction? Then hook to the faucet when you're ready to fill 

5 hours ago, GrayGoldfish said:

Sorry, I know that this post is a month old, but thought I'd chime in anyways. Could you drain into the bathtub or shower instead of using the faucet for suction? Then hook to the faucet when you're ready to fill 

You know I shall try this next water change. Good idea :thumbs:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrayGoldfish said:

:thumbup2:

• Like 1